That dreaded sound

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
calebj06

That dreaded sound

Post by calebj06 »

When you walk in the house after being at work and hear the dryer going THUMP THUMP THUMP!!!! And you know that you carried your beautiful chaparral last night and your wife is doing laundry........

:eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :(
paladin

Re: That dreaded sound

Post by paladin »

grounds for DEE-VORCE!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Now, let's be fair: I'll bet she's told you numerous times to check your pockets BEFORE putting them in the hamper.

That'd be a wild guess on my part and not based on real events at Casa Demoncase ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

That's gotta hurt... Ti or CF one?
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Thank God the only time I did that was with my h1 dragonfly, she made it our just fine. Hope she made it out ok!
Josh
calebj06

Post by calebj06 »

Cf chaparral. Actually looks like she came out ok. Luckily it was actually clipped to the pocket and stayed put so she had some cushioning and there were plenty of other clothes in there.

As far as me checking the pockets, yes your right, but the rule here is that we BOTH check, that way someone catches it, and anyway, they weren't even in the hampper they were next to the bed as they got ditched rather quickly last night.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You need an EDC bowl dude. I have a big ceramic bowl on my desk where I dump my pockets everyday. Everything I carry minus my Glock goes into that bowl, and when I leave the house everything goes back into my pockets. Or, when laundry is done, I don't have to worry about what's getting banged up in the dryer because I know I dumped my pockets into the bowl.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

demoncase wrote:Now, let's be fair: I'll bet she's told you numerous times to check your pockets BEFORE putting them in the hamper.

That'd be a wild guess on my part and not based on real events at Casa Demoncase ;)
lol.....that sounds familiar.... :rolleyes:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

calebj06 wrote:...they weren't even in the hampper they were next to the bed as they got ditched rather quickly last night.
;)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

This is why I carry a Pac Salt. I sometimes suffer from CRS. My Pac Salt has taken a couple of trips through the washer and dryer. Other than the pocket clip getting a little scratched up it still functions perfectly fine. Plus the fish blood and guts got cleaned out of it.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

I have washed my Tasman many, many times. heck just the other day I put on a pair jeans and bam, my Tasman was already there clipped in it's pocket :D
The list goes on...
DF2: salt se, hap 40, vg-10
Delica 4: ffg vg-10, saber CE VG-10
Endura 4: Hap 40, Super Blue, VG-10
Native 5: S35vn/g10, S110v
Manix Lwt: XHP
Pac salt, Tasman, PM2 S30v, Domino XHP,
Stretch frn ZDP-189
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

spyder_happy wrote:I have washed my Tasman many, many times. heck just the other day I put on a pair jeans and bam, my Tasman was already there clipped in it's pocket :D
LOL Awesome
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hate it when that happens. I recently did something like that with my Imperial Boy Scouts Pocket Knife. There was no, "THUMP, THUMP, THUMP," in the dryer as my jeans (in which my knife was in the LFP) gets hung and air dried, but as I was taking my jeans out of the washer and opening up the pockets so they'd dry better, I felt something thin and kind of long... and, I thought, "NO...! SERIOUSLY...?!?!?!" Yep, I'd forgotten to take my pocket knife out of my pocket! :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

And, no, my pocket knife didn't do well... the scales (which were already starting to come apart) pretty much were trashed to include completely coming off from one side of the handle. Oh well.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sometimes a good washing is just what a knife needs. :) I have accidentally washed several of my knives over the years, a couple more than once. They had no ill effects. I just needed to re-oil them.

What is really exciting is when you wash a big, heavy Buck 110 and it makes it to the drier. It sounds like the house is coming apart! Haha!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I once left a kershaw leek in a pocket. It made it through the washing machine and then into the dryer. The assisted opening helped it to open up where it took a good size U shaped Chunk out of the edge. Since then i thoroughly check my pockets before washing clothes. The last knife to almost ride the washer and dryer was the bug. I pulled it out right before I threw the jeans in. Unfortunately i usually put clothes in the dryer and walk away so i don't hear the sound of my knives being thrashed about. Washer and dryer are not in the house.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

This is one reason I do my own laundry.

That, and my wife won't let me touch anyone else's.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have washed a few but never dried one. The wash actually cleans them up nicely. The heat and all the banging around in the dryer would be a concern for me so thankfully that hasn't happened.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I have the dreaded laundry duty in our house,(I'm so sick of doing laundry :( ) with 2 teenage boys and a wife + myself, you can imagine the volume that gets done every Sunday. I learned long ago(the hard way) to go through everyone's pockets prior to washing, I've found knives, phones, earbuds, candy+wrappers, pens, homework, power bars, chap stick, jewelry, packets of unopened taco bell hot sauce, well thats all I can think of right now :rolleyes: :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I've laundered a few Spydercos over the years. The great thing about these knives is you usually have to worry more about the blade opening and slicing everything up then the knife getting damaged. Luckily the usually they function as designed and don't open up.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I've been lucky and never had that happen, yet!

The main reason being, I hate things in my pockets and consequently I don't carry a wallet and tend to leave money in my pants. Beloved wife and I have an agreement, that anything in the pockets of clothes I leave on the floor or in the laundry basket becomes her property. So it’s in her interest to check my pockets before she puts my clothes into the washing machine and overall she does quite well. Particularly after a night out drinking. :eek:

Luckily she has no interest in knives and she promptly returns them to the sideboard in the kitchen. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin