Composite Manix?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Composite Manix?

Post by jdw »

Does anyone know if this release has been scrapped?
I seem to remember reading about it quite a while ago
but not much since. Thanks for any updates.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
TazKristi

Re: Composite Manix?

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, jdw:
Thank you for your interest. It hasn't been scrapped. Our current ETA is early 2017.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Thank you! I appreciate the reply!
--Wovoka
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

What exactly was this again?
- best wishes, Jazz.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Jazz wrote:What exactly was this again?
A 90V core layered with 154 and carbon handles.
It sounds like a great knife to me. I am excited that
there is still going to be a release.
--Wovoka
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

jdw wrote:
This is one I've been excited about too, I really wanted to pick up the earlier version (solid S90V blade?) on the secondary market but they don't pop up very often and when they do they command quit the premium.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

jdw wrote:
Just for the sake of complete understanding of what the blade steel truly is:

Postby TazKristi » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:45 pm

It's important to note, the upcoming C101CFPE2 Manix 2 with CPM 154/CPM S90V is not cladded or laminated. The process is different. It is a composite.

Ruarch wrote:
I was under the impression that S90V is very stain resistant, at least in my experience it is, but is that still the reason for the cladding? Why would Spyderco clad S90V? I am puzzled and curious. I am sure there is a good explanation, but it escapes me.

Not many, if any, manufactures can work with this material. Some might be able to, but choose not to. It's definitely not easy and it presented many challenges in the factory. The explanation as to "why?" truthfully just comes down to - because we can. We're proud of that. Ultimately, it gives all of you the opportunity to try something that is really special and that opportunity comes in a reasonably affordable production knife.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I can't begin to envision what a composite steel is if it doesn't involve cladding/laminating... But as a Manix devotee, I'm standing by.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I wonder if it's like the composite leeks that Kershaw does....:D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
BTG

Post by BTG »

Got to see one at the SFO Friday, one was given to the 1st person in line at the 2nds sale...3 dudes drove up 12 hrs from Oklahoma and got there about 5 in the morning Friday..they drew straws to see who got to be 1st, 2nd thru 6th got M2 BD1 lightweights.....guess who was #7.....yup, me....10:30, 11:00ish..great time, warmer than last year.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

From what I remember of the discussion of this steel, it is a S90V core HIPed with powdered 154CM.

Hot Isostatic Pressing combines temperature and pressure to uniformly bond different materials. The process also prohibits the formation of voids.

And yeah, it's just cool.

Since a S110V Yojimbo 2 doesn't seem likely, can we get a composite S90V version?
Last edited by Able Dog on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

BTG wrote:Got to see one at the SFO Friday, one was given to the 1st person in line at the 2nds sale...3 dudes drove up 12 hrs from Oklahoma and got there about 5 in the morning Friday..they drew straws to see who got to be 1st, 2nd thru 6th got M2 BD1 lightweights.....guess who was #7.....yup, me....10:30, 11:00ish..great time, warmer than last year.
I arrived at 1:00pm and was #9, so I got in on the photo but not thy the free knives.

As for the composite Manix, the steel looked the same as the previous S90V/154 Para 2. So even though the process is different, if I recall correctly, it still has a line that looks like a lamination line.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BTG

Post by BTG »

jabba359 wrote:
BTG wrote:Got to see one at the SFO Friday, one was given to the 1st person in line at the 2nds sale...3 dudes drove up 12 hrs from Oklahoma and got there about 5 in the morning Friday..they drew straws to see who got to be 1st, 2nd thru 6th got M2 BD1 lightweights.....guess who was #7.....yup, me....10:30, 11:00ish..great time, warmer than last year.
I arrived at 1:00pm and was #9, so I got in on the photo but not thy the free knives.

As for the composite Manix, the steel looked the same as the previous S90V/154 Para 2. So even though the process is different, if I recall correctly, it still has a line that looks like a lamination line.
Yeah, it was kinda weird...fainter, like the two are closer in color than usuall, line seemed real high and irregular on one side, wasn't sure if I was seeing it right or just from everyone handling it while checking it out.....I like your nightmare before Christmas hat..