They Got It Right The First Time IMO

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: They Got It Right The First Time IMO

Post by JD Spydo »

bh49 wrote:
Dr. Snubnose wrote:..after that It's definitely the Sharpmaker 204....Doc:)
did you mean 203? Because it was an original triangle sharpener. Sorry Doc :)
Yeah my friend "Roman" is absolutely right about the 203 being the predecessor to the 204 Sharpmaker as we know it today. But that is one where they did much better the second go around in my humble opinion.

There is another sharpening kit that Spyderco did do right the first time but they totally abandoned it :confused: I'm speaking of the original GALLEY V sharpening kit. The "Cat's Eye" stones in that kit are so versatile that you can just about sharpen anything with an unconventional design. It's the best stone to sharpen a Dodo model with period.

But for the most part Spyderco has actually improved their sharpening tools with modifications and completely new designs all together. Most people aren't even aware of either one of those kits i.e. GALLEY V and 203 Sharpmaker.

Now there is another sharpening tool that Spyderco also got right the first time and I'm speaking of the 701 Profile kit. I don't think anyone would argue with that claim ;) .
JD Spydo

Re: They Got It Right The First Time IMO

Post by JD Spydo »

clovisc wrote:Calypso Jr., and the big Calypso.
A big HIgh Five with that one Clovisc ;) Especially the big C-54 Calypso model which I've thought for years is one of Spyderco's best hidden secrets. Most people don't realize that all the other Calypso models evolved off of that bad boy :cool: .

And for the life of me I can't understand why they disco'd the Caly Jr. because it is still high in demand and one of the best small Spyderco folders ever.

I think the big C-54 Calypso is truly a victim of a serious lack of exposure. Because everyone that I showed that knife to raved about how nice of a design it was at that time.