They Got It Right The First Time IMO

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Re: They Got It Right The First Time IMO

Post by jdw »

elena86 wrote:Old school stainless steel Police.Most iconic Spyderco IMO.
Dang you guys are bad for Spyderco habit. SS Police has come up a couple of times and
I don't have one. The stainless steel handles always sounded too slippery for me. Given the advocates for it
I just ordered one. Nice prices at KW and KC if it hasn't already been mentioned.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bill1170 wrote:The early rescue knives got the basics right from the start, IMO.
I can certainly give you a "HIGH FIVE" on that recommendation of the Pre-2005 RESCUE models :cool: Especially the stainless handled RESCUE model which was like the original Mariner model on a lot of steroids :eek: I still EDC the stainless handled RESCUE a lot to this very day>> and I just happen to be carrying and using it today too.

With the slight exception of the ASSIST I model I would say that the RESCUE MODELs are ones they had right the first time for sure. And the stainless handled RESCUE leads the list for sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:One word: Micarta :(

Examples: Persians, Jess Horns, JD Smith, Calypso and Jr. --- so much better in their Micarta incarnations than subsequent G10 or FRN models.
You are so spot on "RadioactiveSpyder" mentioning the pre-2005 Micarta handled Spyders. Some of them are truly at the very top of my sentimental favorite list to be sure. I still love my JD Smith, original C-44 Dyad, C-54 Calypso ( the big one), and those JESS HORN models you mentioned are truly timeless.

I've scratched my head quite a few times wondering why Spyderco hasn't done any more knives with their great Micarta handles :confused: . I've always thought Micarta to be one of the better handle materials for fixed blades as well.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

JD Spydo wrote:

I've scratched my head quite a few times wondering why Spyderco hasn't done any more knives with their great Micarta handles :confused: . I've always thought Micarta to be one of the better handle materials for fixed blades as well.
Wow. Didn't know that micarta was ever offered. My favorite fixed blade handle is in bead blasted micarta. Very duarable and secure grip, even when wet. Good stuff.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mb1 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Wow. Didn't know that micarta was ever offered. My favorite fixed blade handle is in bead blasted micarta. Very duarable and secure grip, even when wet. Good stuff.
Oh yeah there were several of the older models that had Micarta handles/scales. We just named a few of them. They even did some of the micro-sized Spyders with Micarta handles. One that immediately comes to mind was the Burgundy Micarta handled JESTER model which is still highly coveted among collectors.

Most of them were done before 2005. Many of the long time members here on the Forum can list them all. The C-44 Dyad is one of my most favorites along with the original JD Smith model.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Examples: Persians, Jess Horns, JD Smith, Calypso and Jr. --- so much better in their Micarta incarnations than subsequent G10 or FRN models.
No doubts micarta is much better than FRN or peel-ply G10.
You actually reminded me one more model, which in my book much better than sequel. It is C42 Viele. And micarta scale is just gorgeous.
Talking about good-looking micarta, do not forget Hossoms. I never liked the blade, but bought one because of micarta scales. I would be nice to see Schempp's Rock with dark green/black micarta scales like Hossoms
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I'd like to see some micarta handle pics.
- Mark

bh49

Post by bh49 »

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Gonna have to say the original Ronin....after that It's definitely the Sharpmaker 204....Doc:)
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Gonna have to say the original Ronin....after that It's definitely the Sharpmaker 204....Doc:)
Like Beetlejuice, if you say Ronin enough times a heretic appears.

Yeah the Ronin had a fine Micarta handle.

Hey JDSpydo, cool to see you are still leading the charge for old blades. :cool:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Zen...JD is tenacious...all puns intended... Nice to see you old friend ....Ronin Ronin Ronin......Doc:) charge.......
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Calypso Jr., and the big Calypso.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

That's pretty cool. Thanks for the links.
- Mark

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zenheretic wrote:
Dr. Snubnose wrote:Gonna have to say the original Ronin....after that It's definitely the Sharpmaker 204....Doc:)

Hey JDSpydo, cool to see you are still leading the charge for old blades. :cool:
ZENHERETIC!!! :D Where on planet earth have you been dude!!! :D Ain't seen or heard of you in many moons :rolleyes: Glad you found your way back to Spyderville. Oh yeah I very much remember the original RONIN model and to me it's much better than the newer one. And you don't hear people talk about it much anymore :confused: It certainly had a cult following without a doubt. I actually liked the original Yojimbo ( The folding version of the RONIN) better than the newer one as well.

But ZEN my friend it's great to see you guys from the mid 2000 decade show up again. It hasn't been long ago that Chad ( Daywalker) and the esteemed Dr. Hannibal Lecter MD both paid a visit to Spyderville. Hope you plan on staying around for a while. Your "Sal's Casual Bombshell" thread shows up every so often.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

JD Spydo wrote:
zenheretic wrote:

ZENHERETIC!!! :D Where on planet earth have you been dude!!! :D Ain't seen or heard of you in many moons :rolleyes: Glad you found your way back to Spyderville. Oh yeah I very much remember the original RONIN model and to me it's much better than the newer one. And you don't hear people talk about it much anymore :confused: It certainly had a cult following without a doubt. I actually liked the original Yojimbo ( The folding version of the RONIN) better than the newer one as well.
I have to assume the newer versions are more what the designer wants out of his blades, but I think they lack a bit of the original style for both the Ronin and the Yojimbo. As for no one talking about them, well since a few maniacs bought them all up, there are none to be had, and the new blood just wouldn't be able to bear the pain of not having such beauties. It is just out of consideration for them that no one talks about the originals. :D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:..after that It's definitely the Sharpmaker 204....Doc:)
did you mean 203? Because it was an original triangle sharpener. Sorry Doc :)

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Interesting discussion. I think "right" is a moving target. For a period of time the PM2 was all anyone could talk about. And now if PM3 details were announced people would go bananas. Consumers demand new products to buy.

The models that are still with us relatively unchanged I think are the ones that were a hole in one. Mariner, Harpy, Cricket, etc. I'm sure Sal could rattle off a list of great designs that just didn't sell. The Co-pilot I think is one of the best small Spydies but it didn't stand the test of time (everyone wanted Dragonflies).
hawkbill

Post by hawkbill »

I would have to add the Merlin...loved it!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

bh49 wrote:
Dr. Snubnose wrote:..after that It's definitely the Sharpmaker 204....Doc:)
did you mean 203? Because it was an original triangle sharpener. Sorry Doc :)
Yah you are right bh....i STAND CORRECTED...Thank you!...Doc:)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

zhyla wrote:Interesting discussion. I think "right" is a moving target. For a period of time the PM2 was all anyone could talk about. And now if PM3 details were announced people would go bananas. Consumers demand new products to buy.

The models that are still with us relatively unchanged I think are the ones that were a hole in one. Mariner, Harpy, Cricket, etc. I'm sure Sal could rattle off a list of great designs that just didn't sell. The Co-pilot I think is one of the best small Spydies but it didn't stand the test of time (everyone wanted Dragonflies).
Have to agree on the Co-Pilot there zhyla....I remember a time back when... ( for more than four years) I edc two Co-pilots clipped into my two front pockets.....One plain...One serrated...worked great...loved the knife...was all I needed....
Funny now I feel guilty...I have a Yellow H1 Dragonfly I edc everyday....My Bad!!!!...Doc:)