Maxamet vs. K390 in experience

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skidoosh

Maxamet vs. K390 in experience

Post by Skidoosh »

I've got a bit of experience with K390 but still don't have a handle on my maxamet mule. I'm wondering about people's experiences with both in real work hands on time.
ZMW

Re: Maxamet vs. K390 in experience

Post by ZMW »

bump - any feedback?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Even now? I'd be interested in people's thought comparing these two as well.

Ken
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Bumping to see if any users of both can chime in.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I cannot compare the two as I only have K390 in an Urban LW and no Maxamet. I am very happy with the edge retention with the K390 and it purportedly has good toughness, too. It has become one of my favorites. Ask this question when the new Police 4 comes out and you will probably get more answers.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
slick228

Post by slick228 »

I'm sure quite a few members here have both Mules in K390 and MAXAMET. It would be great if they can share their thoughts with us.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I have both Mules in K390 and Maxamet, plus the Manix 2 LW in Maxamet. Both of these steels are far and away my two favorites for edge holding and performance, at least until I see how the PMA11 performs for me. Both perform so well for me so far that I honestly cannot pick one over the other at this point. Long term use may put one over the other but right now I am just enjoying them both very much and all other steel options have lost my interest. I should perhaps qualify that statement by admitting that I prefer a non-stainless tool steel for my blades, but that's just a personal preference, for a number of reasons, and I am fortunate that corrosion resistance is not an issue.

I am very much looking forward to trying the PMA11, and I have every reason to believe this steel will become a favorite for me as well. I have been having a lot of fun with my Manix 2 LW Maxamet that I received recently, sharpened it to 15 degrees per side polished edge, and so far I can't get it to quit cutting. Touching up the edge requires only a couple of strokes and I have experienced no rolling or chipping of the edge. It is just a workhorse like it's brother the Maxamet Mule. I sincerely hope that we will see more blade offerings in the Signature Series knives using K390, Maxamet, and PMA11, either in Stocking Releases or Sprint Runs. For me at least, these steels are just too good not to have.

I wish I could give some reasons why I prefer K390 or Maxamet, but at this point in my experience I find them both to be equally outstanding performers.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

El Gato wrote: I sincerely hope that we will see more blade offerings in the Signature Series knives using K390, Maxamet, and PMA11, either in Stocking Releases or Sprint Runs.
Agreed. I feel the same way about the LW Urban. It's such a great knife for my needs but I'd totally overlooked it until the K390 release. IMO it's the perfect platform to get these steels into as many hands as possible.

Ken
attila

Post by attila »

Bump for curiosity's sake.

(I have a K390 Urban on the way, so I got curious. I understand that Maxamet will have better wear resistance, but the rest of the characteristics I have no idea about.)
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have Mules in both, and the Urban K390 is my most used travel knife, where the Maxamet Manix 2 is my most used EDC at home.

I find K390 marginally easier to sharpen, and give a nod to Maxamet in edge retention. I have no real feedback on K390 toughness (I EDC'd the mule for over a month and didn't notice any issues, but I never put it to any toughness tests on purpose) but I did slice up a tin can with my Maxamet after seeing some photos posted on line, and had very minimal damage to the edge (I think I saw one very small chip and one noticeable "roll" type ding on the edge).

Honestly, I'd say the Mules were six of one and half dozen of the other for me. And the folders are hard to compare because the platforms are so different.

Perhaps the nicest knife I own is a K390 fixed blade, but it's not fair to use that one to compare the steels because it's a PW custom, and honestly even the Elmax custom I have from him seems to outperform virtually every other knife I own, so I think there's a lot of maker skill going on there, which means you can't really use that experience to talk about steel performance.

Basically--either way, you can't go wrong, in my experience.