2016 Discontinued List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm mostly bummed over the Kiwi 4 and Nilakka. I hope we see another version of the Kiwi in the future, and I'm still holding onto my hopes of a carbon steel Nilakka sprint.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
timlara

Re: 2016 Discontinued List

Post by timlara »

Only real surprise for me is the Kiwi 4. Seems kinda soon on that one, but hopefully it means a new revision is coming.
Tim
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

FCM415 wrote:The biggest disco's like the Stretch, K2, and Police have updated versions coming....
has something definitive been mentioned regarding this statement about the K2?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Drahkis wrote:
FCM415 wrote:The biggest disco's like the Stretch, K2, and Police have updated versions coming....
K2, perhaps not "updated version" like I lumped together in my post but it is a new and smaller version.

Bladeforums:
Sal Glesser;15603907 wrote:We're moving forward on the mini K2 design.

sal
BTG

Post by BTG »

Only 1 I want that I haven't already got, time to move the police 3 G10 to the front of the line...well it WAS time....ordered 5 minutes ago....right after I read the list......time to buckle down and save for 2nds sale....if nothing drops. Lol
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

strange the K2 is already discontinued. Didn't it just come out?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

tripscheck'em wrote:strange the K2 is already discontinued. Didn't it just come out?
I remember handling it for the first time around this time last year at the SFO and being amazed at how big it was, it had already been out for some months then. Never thought I would ever own one but now that I do I'm very glad I decided to pick one up when they went on clearance at such a great price.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
archangel

Post by archangel »

farnorthdan wrote:
tripscheck'em wrote:strange the K2 is already discontinued. Didn't it just come out?
I remember handling it for the first time around this time last year at the SFO and being amazed at how big it was, it had already been out for some months then. Never thought I would ever own one but now that I do I'm very glad I decided to pick one up when they went on clearance at such a great price.
+1

My favourite :spyder: these days. So happy I beat myself up to get one.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Molle Ninja wrote:Kind of expecting the Firefly to be on this list. Not that I don't like it, but I'd like it to be on clearance. :)
I was 50% right on my gutterball forecast, Firefly and Draper, the Draper being the gaudiest Spydie since the wretched Spyker :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

The Rubicon is also quite new
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Thoughts:
No suprises:
1.As soon as the background chatter about the Police 4 started it was obvious the 3's days were numbered....Same with the Sage vs Sage 2
2.Chubby, K2 and Rubicon not a surprise either considering some of the newer models that are similar on the cards.
3. Szabo Black was also on borrowed time once the original model had exited the catalogue
4. Battlestation- I recall my own ambivalence toward this- didn't stop me buying one and I love the little tank-like upswept tanto-ish choil'd beasty....But it's in a very competitive bit of the price range and there's only so many beer-tokens any of us have for sharp things.
5. Draper. I love Sal, Eric and team took a chance on that styling. I could never learn to love the styling itself- and I'm willing to lay money on that I'm in the majority on that.

What does surprise me is:
1.Dogtag- Thought this was a winner!....And I still want to see it in H1!! :)
2.Hungarian- Glad I've got one as it's a really, really high end piece of kit. Shame to see it go.
3. Nilakka- another surprise as it's such a unique item in every way and I thought it was fixture in the range- ah well glad I've got one.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

This list doesn't bother me too badly. The only one of these that was anywhere near the top part of my to-buy list was the Sage 3. And a lot of that is because I eventually want all of the Sages. Within the Sages it was next-to-last on the priority list.
I like several of the rest of these, but they don't move the needle for me like some others.
I do want a Stretch, but I like the Stretch 2 a bit more anyways, and I would rather find a HAP40 instead anyways.
The Rubicon is cool, but I am way more interested in the Magnitude.

The knife I want to see on these lists is the Techno. Not because I don't love it, but because that would be a sign that they're going to make the Techno 2, which for me would be an instant mandatory must-buy.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

FCM415 wrote:
Drahkis wrote:
K2, perhaps not "updated version" like I lumped together in my post but it is a new and smaller version.

Bladeforums:
Sal Glesser;15603907 wrote:We're moving forward on the mini K2 design.

sal
Sal has since said that the saller k2 is on hold. i hope not but I believe that is our
most recent update. :(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Woe be unto he who misses the bolt action lock.

Mine shows no signs of wearing out but this makes me consider getting a back-up.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

dplafoll wrote:The knife I want to see on these lists is the Techno. Not because I don't love it, but because that would be a sign that they're going to make the Techno 2, which for me would be an instant mandatory must-buy.
Yup, would love to see a Techno 2. :D Would actually like to see the original stay in the lineup as well though, but see a change in backspacer color on the new model to further differentiate the two. More so than the obvious difference in blade shape.
-Nick :bug-red
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Despite all the commotion om the Rubicon, I still want one... Ending up buying one off of ebay that never arrived at my doorstep :( Might have to act fast before the secondary market prices go sky high...
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Mushroom wrote:
dplafoll wrote:The knife I want to see on these lists is the Techno. Not because I don't love it, but because that would be a sign that they're going to make the Techno 2, which for me would be an instant mandatory must-buy.
Yup, would love to see a Techno 2. :D Would actually like to see the original stay in the lineup as well though, but see a change in backspacer color on the new model to further differentiate the two. More so than the obvious difference in blade shape.
I went to Blade this year, and Slysz had left a Mouse 2 custom at the Spyderco booth. I handled it, and I fell for it even harder than when I'd seen it only in pictures. It seems a tad thinner in the handle and blade stock, which I liked, and I really like that blade shape. The different backspacer would be cool. Maybe they could do an anodized Aluminum backspacer instead of G-10.
And I'd love to see the original stay around as well. I read somewhere that they haven't done a Techno 2 because the original is still selling so well. My only concern is that they only have so much production capacity at any one OEM, and I wouldn't want them to have to sacrifice too much anywhere to be making both Technos. In that case, I'd disco the Techno for a Techno 2 every time.
DutchBlades wrote:Despite all the commotion om the Rubicon, I still want one... Ending up buying one off of ebay that never arrived at my doorstep :( Might have to act fast before the secondary market prices go sky high...
They're replacing it with a Rubicon 2 with less-expensive handles, and they're adding another similar Carey design called the Magnitude, which I think is a better-looking design. But if you are set on the current Rubicon, I'd grab one now from a better source. I know my local brick&mortar store has one, so if you want to call Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia HIlls, AL and talk to Chris or Randy at the knife counter, they can hook you up.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

dplafoll wrote: They're replacing it with a Rubicon 2 with less-expensive handles, and they're adding another similar Carey design called the Magnitude, which I think is a better-looking design. But if you are set on the current Rubicon, I'd grab one now from a better source. I know my local brick&mortar store has one, so if you want to call Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia HIlls, AL and talk to Chris or Randy at the knife counter, they can hook you up.
I've seen and held the laminate/G10 version of the Rubicon, but I prefer the CF one. Just love the look of the 3D machined carbon fiber...
And the Magnitude is a true gem! It was the star of the show at last year's meet IMO and the same goes this year's meet.
That one's on my wanted list since the first time I've seen it!
As far as the ebay buy, I kinda have myself to blame for it. There's a good reason why I prefer going to a reputable dealer,
and not even receiving the product is definately one of them!
Here in the Netherlands, there aren't a whole lot of dealers and I haven't seen the Rubicon in stock at the ones we do have.
I might have some luck at making them place an order for me :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Oh the poor little bead! Nooooooooooo!!?!

:p

Haven't heard much about the Foundry for a bit... and I guess that lead it here...
...same with the friction folder.
Going back to Caly.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

FYI, everyone, Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL has several of these in-stock:
Draper
Foundry
Battlestation
Kiwi4
Rubicon
Puuko
Dogtag Folder, though I can't remember if it's the disco'd DTF models or the ones that they're keeping.
Maybe a Jumpmaster? I'm honestly not as much into fixed blades, so I don't really remember which ones they have, but I think they have a JM.
Patrick LaFollette