2016 Discontinued List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: 2016 Discontinued List

Post by Larry_Mott »

clovisc wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:What do you guys think of the spy dk?
It's a lovely slipjoint evolution of the Calypso, designed to be legal most places in europe. Very non-threatening.

I have always really liked N690 -- sharpens up easily, takes a great edge, and has good corrosion resistance and edge-holding properties.

Ultra-light, and handles most routine pocket knife-type cutting tasks nicely. Lacks one-handed opening, but that is intentional, to widen the legal acceptability across numerous jurisdictions.
^^He's right you know. In every aspect. The SpyDK really is the ultimate travel knife!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Bugs wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
Bugs wrote:Hate to see the Stretch go by the wayside.
There's always the Stretch 2, should be seeing that in FRN soon I think and there's always the G10 ;) :spyder:
(of course I could be wrong and will be corrected with a quickness if so)
Guess I'm a little tired. When I looked at the list I thought the Stretch was going, going, gone. Totally forgot the Stretch 2. I feel much better now.
Remember years ago, before the Stretch2 actually existed, and plenty of people called the Stretch the "Stretch2" for no apparent reason? I never did figure that one out.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Knutty wrote:
Bugs wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
Bugs wrote:Hate to see the Stretch go by the wayside.
There's always the Stretch 2, should be seeing that in FRN soon I think and there's always the G10 ;) :spyder:
(of course I could be wrong and will be corrected with a quickness if so)
Guess I'm a little tired. When I looked at the list I thought the Stretch was going, going, gone. Totally forgot the Stretch 2. I feel much better now.
Remember years ago, before the Stretch2 actually existed, and plenty of people called the Stretch the "Stretch2" for no apparent reason? I never did figure that one out.
Because the original Stretch had stainless steel scales with kraton inserts.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

^ That doesn't mean you invent your own nomenclature. Why not call the Stretch2 the Stretch3?
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

timlara wrote:
Couldn't agree more - I don't notice the extra ounce or so of the Foundry in pocket versus a comparable sized Ti knife like the Slysz Bowie, but I think if people don't know or care about the concept behind the Foundry, they may perceive it as lower end just because stainless doesn't have the "cool factor" that Ti does. Admittedly, the Foundry is kind of expensive for a stainless knife, but it's *really good* premium stainless and the machining is top-notch. (Also, the labor ain't free...I have heard machinists say before that good, tough stainless steel isn't really any easier to machine than titanium.)
You know, I wonder if the logo hurts it as well. I remember being kinda turned off by it at first. In pics it looked kinda obnoxiously front-and-center, bordering on cheesy. But once I saw it in person for the first time my mind totally changed. I think it's actually pretty classy and well done. It doesn't stand out nearly as much as it does in a pic. It's actually pretty dynamic, as is the satin stainless background of course, so the contrast really depends on the angle and it rarely looks as garish as it does online. Especially when it's in your hand or your pocket!

But that's all neither here nor there. Sad to see it go and if there is still one for sale when I have the money to burn, I'd totally buy a second one so I can have one to use and one for when I just want my pockets to look good. :cool: And that'd be a first for me!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Knutty wrote:^ That doesn't mean you invent your own nomenclature. Why not call the Stretch2 the Stretch3?

Some people do. Deacon, most notably. :)

Not only was the original Stretch stainless with kraton inserts, but it was also slightly smaller, before being revised and they made FRN molds for it. So the Stretch got stretched, but was still a stretch... then here we are and it got stretched for a third time!

Usually it would seem a size/dimensional change would result in a name Rev change. But not in this rare case for some reason.
Going back to Caly.
sal

Post by sal »

It's been an issue. Do you think the new Stretch has enough pattern changes to be a "3"?

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:It's been an issue. Do you think the new Stretch has enough pattern changes to be a "3"?

sal
Just one Newb's opinion but, since you already have the Stretch 2 brown G10 on the market, and assuming the new FRN version has the same refinements (dimensions, ergos, blade shape etc), I think calling it the Stretch 3 would just confuse things further.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, but the 2 is actually the 3. Perhaps renaming even the brown G10 the 3 and all further iterations of this knife would be in order?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Sharp Guy wrote:Just one Newb's opinion but, since you already have the Stretch 2 brown G10 on the market, and assuming the new FRN version has the same refinements (dimensions, ergos, blade shape etc), I think calling it the Stretch 3 would just confuse things further.
I think Sal was talking about the possible need to change both the brown G10 model and the upcoming FRN model to 3, since they both incorporate the new modifications (mainly, bigger choil, longer blade, and longer handle) to the previous FRN model, which was popularly called the 2 because it was quite a bit different from the original with the stainless steel handles with kraton inserts. But that 2 designation never showed up in the catalog, spydiewiki, or on the boxes, so technically it was still the "1"... or maybe Sal's just acknowledging that it's a done deal that everybody's calling the early FRN Stretch the Stretch 2 and classing the new ones with it, all as Stretch 2.

I would see what the Deacon and other authorities on the early Stretch think, as well as the staff. If the new brown G-10 model and it's FRN mate were changed to Stretch 3, it would clean up the confusion between them versus the first FRN Stretch being 2. But I think it would cause more confusion in the long run because of the existing documentation that's already out there calling the new ones 2 -- the catalogs, spydiewiki, and, for example, the C90GBNPE2 on the end of my brown G-10 Stretch box :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:But I think it would cause more confusion in the long run because of the existing documentation that's already out there calling the new ones 2 -- the catalogs, spydiewiki, and, for example, the C90GBNPE2 on the end of my brown G-10 Stretch box :D
^This is basically the point I was trying to make. If they do decide to go with "Stretch 3" maybe change the G10 color to differentiate those models from the ones marked "Stretch 2"? The brown G10 Stretch 2s would likely become hot items for collectors in a hurry. I still think going to Stretch 3 at this point would only cause more confusion. There's already confusion at this point why muddy the water even further?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
tvenuto wrote:Woe be unto he who misses the bolt action lock.

Mine shows no signs of wearing out but this makes me consider getting a back-up.

Question about this: Would you say if someone had to make a choice, and get one with the bolt action lock, or, wait and get one of the new Spyderco releases, it may be worth it to get the bolt action lock knife, simply because it is such a good design, and rare?
Yes. Always go for a model you can't easily get in the future. Add this to the fact that you are unlikely to see another bolt action lock any time soon.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Do you think we'll see a discounted price for relatively popular, but discontinued knives like the Sage 3?
sal

Post by sal »

Spyderco? Confusion? :p

sal
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

sal wrote:Spyderco? Confusion? :p

sal
No, never! :eek: ;) :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

While we try to be as accurate as possible on the Spydiewiki, we sometimes have to make judgement calls on some stuff, and keep in mind that we aren't an official Spyderco page, so some info may not refect exactly the company's view (though we try our best). In the past, I've considered updating the Stretch article to reflect the "Stretch 2" terminology we've been using for the former FRN versions, but wasn't sure how accurate that was, so left it as is. Whatever is decided, I'll make sure to update the page to reflect that decision.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

sal wrote:Spyderco? Confusion? :p
Small post but a great :spyder: -humor :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
sal

Post by sal »

After some research, I decided it's a Stretch 2. The original Stretch was stainless with a Kraton inlay. The lightweight was THE SAME pattern as the original. The Brown G-10 version was a DIFFERENT PATTERN and is thus the "2". The new lightweight is the SAME PATTERN as the Brown G-10 version so it too is a "2".

sal
Studey

Post by Studey »

sal wrote:After some research, I decided it's a Stretch 2. The original Stretch was stainless with a Kraton inlay. The lightweight was THE SAME pattern as the original. The Brown G-10 version was a DIFFERENT PATTERN and is thus the "2". The new lightweight is the SAME PATTERN as the Brown G-10 version so it too is a "2".

sal

Seems extremely logical. Pattern changes denote new designations, but historically, changes in material generally haven't.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

sal wrote:After some research, I decided it's a Stretch 2. The original Stretch was stainless with a Kraton inlay. The lightweight was THE SAME pattern as the original. The Brown G-10 version was a DIFFERENT PATTERN and is thus the "2". The new lightweight is the SAME PATTERN as the Brown G-10 version so it too is a "2".

sal
Whew! Thanks for clarifying! Now I can sleep at night. ;)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com