Compare S30V to S35VN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hobnob

Compare S30V to S35VN

Post by Hobnob »

Are S30V and S35VN similar when you compare ease of sharpening and edge retention. I'm use to VG10 with my Delicas, but I want to get a Native 5 FRN which has S35VN. Your thoughts please.
The Deacon

Re: Compare S30V to S35VN

Post by The Deacon »

In my limited experience, S30V and S35VN are very similar to one another. I'd bet good money that if you put a dozen otherwise identical and unmarked knives, half with blades of S30V, the other half with S35VN blades, in front of a "steel expert", and asked them to group them by steel, they'd be unable to do so. Personally, I like VG-10 better than either, because I find it easier to sharpen, but I've had a lot more practice sharpening it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Personally I do prefer s35vn over s30v, I find it easier to sharpen and it holds an edge a bit longer. As far as the steel goes I don't think you'll be disappointed with an FRN Native 5.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I haven't used s35vn that much but if you listen on the forums you'll here that s35 has slight advantages in edge retention, ease of sharpening, toughness, even corrosion resistance. Of those claims, the one that I read the most often is that it has better toughness. I'm not sure if that means its the most likely to be true or just the most repeated.

I would put my money with Paul's and bet that in blind testing it would be near impossible to tell the difference. That said, I'd still probably choose s35vn over s30v. I'm sure the difference is less notable than what you might hear at times but I've never heard anyone claim that s30v outperforms s35vn in any way so....why not go with the new kid.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think there is no difference to the end user. I can't tell a difference. Their compositions are so similar that outside of very controlled testing with a very large data pool you wouldn't see any difference. it is my opinion that people who think they can see a difference are just imagining it. I have heard that S35V was created to offer the same level of performance for the end user as S30V whille being easier (cheaper) to machine in the production environment. A knife manufacturer is in fact gonne be able to see the difference in both time and consumable abrasives after a thousand knives have been made but they are dealing with a much more consistant process and much greater volume. I think this information is what has connvinced most people that it is easier too sharpen which is what I usualllly hear the most as far as differences go. Of course, maybe I just think there is no differnce because I interpretted it another way. The power of suggestion is a very powerful force on our minds. If you are attempting to use steel choice between S30V and S35V as the deciding facor between two models then don't do it Just pick whichever model you prefer. In my opinion they are far too similar to influence that decision. You will be better served by picking the model that suits you. If VG10 is what you are used to they are both a decent upgrade over that as far as edge retention is concerned. VG10 is more stainless and a breeze to sharpen in comparision to S30/35V.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

As a user, both are fine, and both hold a nice edge well. Both are absolutely good to go, and both are an upgrade from VG10.

But as a sharpener, I'd take S35VN every day of the week and one extra on a leap year. I don't know how to define it, but S30V always feels like it's fighting me during sharpening, while S35VN is nicely cooperative.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Personally I like both S30V and S35VN. :spyder:

As far as normal EDC type use goes most people won't be able to tell the difference between them.

There are differences however that can uncover which steel is which, but it takes controlled testing to uncover them for the most part taking into count high quality knives.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Crucible's data sheets say S35VN is a little tougher than S30V. In practice you may or may not actually see a difference. I have had some minor chipping with S30V (on only one of several I have in that steel), while I have never seen it with the various S35VN blades I have (Spyderco, CRK).

But in actual use, performance is essentially the same, and without a very controlled test you won't be able to tell them apart. I did a short comparison cutting heavy cardboard and saw no difference (S35VN from Spyderco and CRK, S30V from Spyderco).
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great steel and a great knife. S35vn gets stupid sharp and holds it noticeably longer than VG10. You're gonna love the Native 5 :)

S35vn is theoretically better than S30v in every way, but it's seems that they are virtually the same for EDC.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I doubt you'd be able to tell much of a difference, I couldn't.

I've only owned one knife in 35vn so far, and wasn't crazy about it. However, I chock that up to crummy factory apex rather than the steel itself. I just couldn't get the knife satisfactorily sharp (it wasn't a Spyderco).

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
arty

Post by arty »

I have kitchen and fillet knives in S35V and VG10. I have pocket knives in S30V. I can tell you that S35V and S30V hold a sharp edge longer than VG10 (Spyderco and Falkniven). I found much more edge damage from cleaning and cutting up fish when using the Falkniven fishing knives in VG10 than when I used a Warther fillet knife in VG10. My kitchen knives in VG10 and S35V would be difficult to tell apart, even though I think that I get better edge wear from the S35V. They get used for different tasks.

I doubt that you would be able to see the difference between S35V and S30V, unless you did controlled testing using a task that stresses the edge a great deal- like cutting through fish or or poultry bones. This is a challenge for edge stability. Even so, edge geometry is important, and I get excellent performance from a Tojiro Western Deba in VG10. The edge of this knife is convex and it is a very heavy and thick blade. Frankly, it is more like a cleaver than a chef's knife.
If shopping for a blade that will hold an edge and is tough, I would be happy with S35V - in stainless steel.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I've read all the spec sheets and data tests from Crucible and I've read what people say on the forums. I own a bunch of S30V and S35VN knives that I use and re-sharpen regularly. Although I am very aware of the slight difference that is supposed to exist between these two steels, I cannot honestly say it's noticeable in any way. You could achieve a much bigger difference in these steels by varying the hardening process than you can get out of the slight variation in chemistry. If anyone actually does have an S30V blade that is performs noticably different from an S35VN blade I would suggest the difference came from how they were hardened.
I have also ground a few blades in both S30V and S35VN and I can't say there's a noticeable difference in grinding speed or belt wear either. Maybe if you make thousands of knives there's a quantifiable difference, but after a few knives I can say they seem like the same steel. That said, when I want to make a knife from that type of stainless I only buy S35VN now....why not? On paper it's supposed to be a little better sooo.. I tend to look at S35VN as S30V-version-2.0. IMO S35VN and S30V are so close that S35VN should just become a replacement for S30V and be done with the confusion because these steels are sort of redundant.
I agree with Deacon that even an "expert" couldn't accurately sort a mixed group of otherwise identical S30 and S35 blades.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Pretty close, and pretty hard to note much difference. You would have to run an identical edge geometry to really compare, and even then, there would be significant room for variation due to the hardening process.
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

In use I don't notice a difference. But sharpening I find S35VN easier to polish if I'm dropping the primary bevel down. Both touch up easily on the sharpmaker for a micro bevel.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I do not see a difference. I addition I didn't find any of these steel harder to sharpen than VG10. Also I like VG10 more. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I think it's called the butt dyno effect...
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Nothing scientific to back it but I find s30v takes a bit toothier edge. I prefer it that way. For my uses, it holds a working edge longer. S35vn sharpens a bit easier and can get real shiny very easy if that's what you're after. Again nothing scientific but my personal experience with both steels.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I like s30V/35vn MUCH more than VG10. VG10 is ok and is easy to sharpen, but none of these are particularly difficult to sharpen well enough for my purposes, using the SM with the full range of available stones. VG10 just does not keep a good edge for very long at all. I prefer s35vn over s30v because I have had edge damage, chips with s30v in earlier models (PM1 was the worst case), although I would not turn down a knife I liked in s30v (PPT is a good example).
Having said that, I much prefer other steels for even better edge retention / toughness (I sold my Yo2 in S30v when I got the S90V one and I no longer have ANY PM2s or Milis in S30V because I have so many of those models in steels I like better).
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Of course, maybe I just think there is no differnce because I interpretted it another way. The power of suggestion is a very powerful force on our minds. If you are attempting to use steel choice between S30V and S35V as the deciding facor between two models then don't do it Just pick whichever model you prefer. In my opinion they are far too similar to influence that decision. You will be better served by picking the model that suits you.
BIG +1... The power of suggestion is a powerful force on one's mind, so much so that it'll drive you nuts. Example... Back in 1979, I bought a Buck 110 Folding Hunter because I liked the design and it suited me; HOWEVER, everyone who saw it kept telling me that my Buck Folding Hunter was a piece of junk and that I'd be better off with a Puma or Schrade... and I believed them... even after the Buck proved to be reliable time and time again, I believed what others told me and hated my Buck. Many times I tried getting rid of that Buck Folding Hunter and replace it with a Schrade or another brand of similar design, yet, I would find time and time again that the Schrade, etc., really weren't any better... and, at least for me, the design of the Buck suited me much better.

So, here we are in 2016... and the Buck Folding Hunter is still strapped to my belt and serving me well. You are indeed better served by picking the model that suits you.
Last edited by Water Bug on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

S30V / S35V are both truly Fantastic User - Edge Retention - Rust Resistant - Easy to Sharpen steels

Like them both way over VG10, and I really like VG10 :D

AFAIK the only relevant difference between them is that S35V was specifically designed to get a way better polishing capabilities over S30V. Regarding F/F, of course. Which means absolutely nothing when talking about end user advantages. :rolleyes: