Spyderco Temperance FB05 a nice pair!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Archimedes

Spyderco Temperance FB05 a nice pair!

Post by Archimedes »

I was very happy today when a Temperance FB05P arrived in the mail. Now I have a nice set of one of the best Spyderco Fixed blades ever. Just ask JD Spydo! :)

I would love to see these revisited in H1 steel with the original handle.
Attachments
IMG_2464.jpg
JD Spydo

Re: Spyderco Temperance FB05 a nice pair!

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:I was very happy today when a Temperance FB05P arrived in the mail. Now I have a nice set of one of the best Spyderco Fixed blades ever. Just ask JD Spydo! :)

I would love to see these revisited in H1 steel with the original handle.
Sorry I was gone for a while Brother>> because those two great FB05 Spyderco fixed blades should by all means be major candidates for a serious Sprint Run. I do like your suggestion of bringing both of those back in H-1 as a Sprint Run and would mortgage something nice to buy them if necessary. And congratulations by the way on those two great finds. Many people here on the Forum are totally unaware of how great the TEMP 1 model is in everyday usage.

It's really funny and very timely that you would bring these up at this time because just yesterday I was thinking about actually doing another thread on these Spyderco Super Classic TEMP 1 models. Being that H-1 Steel is noted to be a superior blade steel for Spyderedges then what about bringing back the Spyderedged FB-05 TEMPERANCE 1 model in H-1 or even LC200N for that matter>> then you could do the plain edged version in a Sprint Run in one of the current supersteels like CTS-204P, M390, S110V or even S90V. Or for that matter any of the top notch supersteels that are noted for superior plain edged performance for the PE version of the TEMP 1. And really like Archimedes said you don't need to change the handle at all. Actually it's one of the most perfect fixed blade handles ever in my humble opinion.

Archimedes has discovered what I discovered several years ago>> that the FB05 TEMPERANCE 1 model truly is a hidden gem in Spyderco's past fixed blade category. Hey it's even a great all purpose fixed blade even in VG-10>> it is truly great for outdoor and kitchen usage both as well as general cutting chores. I have no plans to replace either one of my TEMP 1 models ( even the older VG-10 models). But wouldn't it be nice to see the Spyderco "In House" design that set a lot of great standards in their fixed blade line up be a Sprint Run in different blade steels maybe?

The TEMP 1 would be a super model in an updated Sprint Run>> but truly to do it justice they should do it in SE & PE both :cool: It's actually one of the very few premium Spyderco fixed blade models that they did in Spyderedge.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

The Spyderedge one is one of my favorite fixed blades. It would be cool in H1. I never thought of doing the PE in a super steel, sounds great.

These 2 are in my permanent collection.

I am glad your back and ok!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I too have the same set. I've used the PE in the kitchen pretty often. I bought the SE at a good price from a brick and mortar for cheap about 3 yrs ago.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

VashHash wrote:I too have the same set. I've used the PE in the kitchen pretty often. I bought the SE at a good price from a brick and mortar for cheap about 3 yrs ago.

It is a great set. I find the SE version one of the coolest fixed blades ever. I may in the future pick up another SE edge so I can really use the one I have and then have a mint back up.

I used my PE version in the kitchen last night and it worked very well. I think it is testimony to the excellent blade shape, because the handle seems all wrong for kitchen work. Yet some how the overall performance is good.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:
VashHash wrote:I too have the same set. I've used the PE in the kitchen pretty often. I bought the SE at a good price from a brick and mortar for cheap about 3 yrs ago.

It is a great set. I find the SE version one of the coolest fixed blades ever. I may in the future pick up another SE edge so I can really use the one I have and then have a mint back up.

I used my PE version in the kitchen last night and it worked very well. I think it is testimony to the excellent blade shape, because the handle seems all wrong for kitchen work. Yet some how the overall performance is good.
Hey Brother ARCHIMEDES I never told you about the time I was given a job of skinning a Missouri Snapping Turtle :eek: A good buddy of mine saw him crossing the road and he couldn't resist nailing him with his GLOCK model 17 :rolleyes: But even though my good buddy took the liberty of ending of the life of one of Missouri's finest and somewhat dangerous reptiles :eek: And guess who got stuck field dressing and skinning the beast?? Yeah me!!! Because all the guys at the wetlands camp where I was working at the time knew that I had some powerhouse Spyderco knives which could make soup meat out of the 35 pound Snapper relatively quick given the circumstances :rolleyes:

The only thing I've ever found more difficult to skin than that Snapper was a short nosed GAR that a couple of kids brought to me in the middle of the summer who were related to a good friend of mine ( I did a thread on skinning that GAR on the OFF TOPIC part of the forum and anyone can look it up). That GAR was even more difficult than the Snapper which took me close to 2 hours to finish off and process the meat>> the GAR also took well over an hour and a half and the armour/scaled skin on that beast was even tougher than Kevlar in my opinion.

OK you all ask why I bring those jobs up on a TEMPERANCE 1 thread??? Because I used both my SE & PE TEMP 1 models to do both of those horrific chores :rolleyes: Yeah in both cases my good friends set me up like a bowling pin in an attempt to humiliate me>> however it backfired in both cases because those SE & PE TEMP 1 models showed those smart alecks who not only had good knives but also knew how to use them properly. The Turtle meat actually made some interesting tasting soup and the GAR wasn't all that bad either after we Hickory smoked him for almost 3 hours.

But in both cases the TEMP 1 models ( SE & PE) were truly the hero of the day. I would buy a set of SOUTHFORK models if they would make them in SE & PE just like they did the TEMP 1 model. The Spyderedged TEMP 1 is truly one of the meanest blades I ever put a hand on. My buddy Archimedes has been here at Spyderville about as long as I have and believe me this guy knows his blades>> and there's a reason he wanted those TEMP 1 models I can assure you. And if any of you have outdoor hunting and fishing chores you need both the SE & PE TEMP 1 models for a great outing>> These knives are awesome and Spyderco got them 1000% right the first time>> Yes we need Sprint Runs IMMEDIATELY!!!!
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Well, I am thankful I have never had to skin a turtle. :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:Well, I am thankful I have never had to skin a turtle. :D
Yeah those guys really painted me into a corner with that one for sure :rolleyes: >> But truly skinning that GAR was even worse yet :eek: Scientists and researchers should take a serious look at the scales, skin and hide on all of the Gar fish because it's an armour similar to Kevlar or some other space age material.

But it is comforting to know that the FB-05 TEMPERANCE 1 model in SE & PE was able to do the job. And it didn't even take one of the supersteels to do it. Good old, reliable VG-10 no less got that monumental job accomplished.

Seriously people you all need to take a serious look at the overall design of the TEMP 1. It's truly Spyderco's best "IN HOUSE" fixed blade design ever in my opinion. The ergonomics of the handle are way ahead of it's time. The size of the blade is near perfect and the Spyderedged model is like a cross breed of a chain saw and a C-54 Calypso model :cool:

TEMP 1, SE in H-1 and a TEMP 1 PE in M390>> that would be a Christmas gift set that everyone here at Spyderville would want under the tree ;)