A Lightweight Paramilitary 2 would be cool and fun

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bdubs808

A Lightweight Paramilitary 2 would be cool and fun

Post by Bdubs808 »

The Paramilitary 2 is a golden design. (The pun was unintended.) Anyhow, this amazing knife sells out fast like new iPhones, and I believe it would be worth it for the company to invest in a FRCP or FRN version. There is no question that most of us would buy at least 1. It would be awesome if they incorporated CTS BD1 (or another lower cost steel), taking a cue from the Manix platform. Knife users that are not comfortable spending over $100 could have a sweet economy version :)
Also, I've read about this topic somewhere, LMK if there is an existing thread already please.
Sharp Guy

Re: A Lightweight Paramilitary 2 would be cool and fun

Post by Sharp Guy »

Yeah this has been mentioned here before but I have no problem discussing it some more. I think there was mention of a PM2 LW at the Amsterdam meet or maybe it was the smaller "PM3" that there was mention of doing a LW version IDK.

As much as I like the G10 Manix 2 I tend to carry a LW more often, at least during the warmer months. Maybe I'd do the same with a PM2. I guess I won't know until they make it and I can try it. So I'd likely give a PM2 LW a try.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm not an frn guy but I'd buy one for sure. I feel like the Para 2 doesn't get as many variants as people would like. I know, I know, it's had a million sprints and exclusives. That's not what I mean. I'm talking about treatment like the Native gets. An frn version, a titanium version, a fluted titanium version etc. Probably easier said than done but like the OP mentioned, it's an insanely popular knife and would do well. I fee like with the PM3 in the works that will be the beginning of seeing true variants of the Para.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think an FRN anything would be cool and fun. Love the stuff.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

as long as they keep the compression lock id get one.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
nick800

Post by nick800 »

I would not buy an FRN.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I like the idea, but with the liner being a key part of the compression lock, would it really end up being much lighter? It's already pretty light, but FRN with a wire clip would be fun IMO.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:I like the idea, but with the liner being a key part of the compression lock, would it really end up being much lighter? It's already pretty light, but FRN with a wire clip would be fun IMO.
Good point regarding the liners! If they did manage to make a LW/FRN a wire clip would be a must!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

abbazaba wrote:I like the idea, but with the liner being a key part of the compression lock, would it really end up being much lighter? It's already pretty light, but FRN with a wire clip would be fun IMO.
Spyderco has done some amazing things reducing the liners on the LW Manix and Native. I'm sure they could do something similar here.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have the Native 5 LW and the Manix LW, and I like them both, but strangely enough I have no desire for the PM2 LW. The PM2 is already pretty light as it is. If I want to carry something lighter I grab something else like Stretch, Delica, Native 5 LW or Manix 2 LW.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Did someone say fluted ti Para2? Yes please.... :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
npad69

Post by npad69 »

all in for a PM2 in vg-10 FRN
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd buy one for sure, I'm all about the FRN.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Did someone say fluted ti Para2? Yes please.... :D
That would be awesome as well.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I agree with Jazz and all of you: If Spyderco would make a Paramilitary or Military in FRN I would definitely be all for it.

And I would like to see it in VG10 or one of those steels and FRN.
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

Id love to see this happen. If it doesn't have a tip down option, though, I'm out.

Since we are talking variants, how about titanium handle slabs with holes milled in to reduce weight and an integral comp lock, like the old ATR? Maybe some lc200n or serrated H1.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

One of the reasons I prefer the Manix2 LW over the G10 is the 2.9oz vs 5oz, the PM2 is already under 4oz. The point about the liners is right too, how much could be eliminated? That said, I'd still probably try one if they were introduced. Wire clip yes, BD1 steel no.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I think the PM3 may be a better option for an FRN version. I don't find the PM2 heavy at all, but it's quite large in pocket. If the PM3 is as good as the PM2 (which would be difficult because of how popular it is), I think it makes more sense. It would be light and better in pocket, so for many it would be an upgrade option over the Delica.

The PM2 was done so well the first time I don't think it needs a lot of modifications or variants. The only thing I'd like to see would be some simple milling patterns done to CF versions to give it a different look.
hank_612

Post by hank_612 »

npad69 wrote:all in for a PM2 in vg-10 FRN

Me too
STG2017

Post by STG2017 »

Has anyone heard whether this might happen? I think a steel liner-less FRCP handle with the PM2 blade shape would be an interesting design. Would it be called the Para-Manix?