Help me find a custom scale maker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Help me find a custom scale maker

Post by Evil D »

I have an idea that I'd like to make a reality, but I'm not sure who to turn to. I want some denim micarta scales made for my Military, but I want them made from my own old jeans. Who do we know that can 1) make micarta stock out of old jeans, and 2) use that micarta to make Military scales?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Re: Help me find a custom scale maker

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I came across this guys website a few months ago, has some very nice custom scale work. http://g10.lt/
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I came across this guys website a few months ago, has some very nice custom scale work. http://g10.lt/
+1 Suingab made the micarta scales for my Cruwear Military and they are a perfect fit, real nice work. Not sure if he would use your old blue jeans but couldn't hurt to ask. It took about 2 months to get them once I ordered. What about Sketchenscales, I have heard nothing but great stuff about his work.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

For making your jeans into Micarta, contact Dylan at Shadetree Custom Composites. He also makes denim Micarta stock that are available on his website. Why folks keep asking about good custom scale makers is a mystery to me, since we nearly all say Steve Ketchen every time! ;) Check out his custom makers thread on BF, and the "Thanks Steve" thread on this forum. This is my denim Cruwear Millie (with Ti framelock) with Dylan's Micarta and crafted by Steve with blue G10 liners.

Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

There's your answer!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
palonej

Post by palonej »

Another HUGE thumbs up for Steve K!!
He has done 5 sets for me and his work is literally flawless!! Great dude to deal with also!!
Can't go wrong with him!
Joe
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Yeah Sketchen makes some good stuff and he is a great guy to work with.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I completely agree about going to Sketchen. I also agree that Shadetree is a great place to have your micarta made.

Also, if you are interested in making the micarta yourself I'd be happy to walk you through it. I made some micarta out of a pair of blue jeans about 6 months ago. There are a number of ways to do it and it can be done surprisingly well with as little as a bench vise, a couple flat pieces of wood and a large ziplock bag. It only took me about an hour of actual work (plus 24 hours curing time) to make the micarta. If you want to do it yourself, let me know and I'll send you all the details about the process.

Best regards,
Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Xplorer wrote:I completely agree about going to Sketchen. I also agree that Shadetree is a great place to have your micarta made.

Also, if you are interested in making the micarta yourself I'd be happy to walk you through it. I made some micarta out of a pair of blue jeans about 6 months ago. There are a number of ways to do it and it can be done surprisingly well with as little as a bench vise, a couple flat pieces of wood and a large ziplock bag. It only took me about an hour of actual work (plus 24 hours curing time) to make the micarta. If you want to do it yourself, let me know and I'll send you all the details about the process.

Best regards,
Chad

****....once again your art and craftsmanship leaves me both awestruck and feeling incompetent at the same time....you say simple, I'd have one big sticky hot mess....I'm sure of it.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

BTG wrote: I'd have one big sticky hot mess....I'm sure of it.
Thanks BTG! :) I bet you'd do better than you think...mine was a sticky hot mess too, I just trimmed the edges after the sticky mess dried :D .
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Try Boomer52, who is a member of this forum. I just ordered some scales from him. I cannot wait to get them. They are on the way as I type. Steve is easy to work with and his creations are beautiful to behold.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Xplorer wrote:If you want to do it yourself, let me know and I'll send you all the details about the process.
Best regards,
Chad

The thing is, I have no doubt I could make it myself, I'm just not sure what a scale maker requires to make scales for a Military. Would I need to get it down to the right thickness or do they take care of all that? This isn't the same as making scales for a fixed blade where you can remove material and come to a desired thickness. I also wouldn't mind making the scales a bit thicker than usual and contouring them while we're at it. If it wasn't for the milling work that needs done on the inside of Military scales I would probably just try to make it all myself.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love the look of denim micarta. This is a great idea. With a brushed or bead lasted clip it woould be quite discreet in he pocket. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Evil D wrote: Would I need to get it down to the right thickness or do they take care of all that?
I was just thinking that since you're going to have scales made out of your jeans and that makes a very uniquely individual and personal handle material it might also add to your overall satisfaction if you made the material too, since it's pretty easy to do. That said, it's only a good idea if it appeals to you. More than likely you can buy them from someone for the same or less $$ than making them and save yourself the effort, so having Shadetree do it is still a good choice. :)

If you wanted to do it yourself, you would need to ask Steve or whomever you use for shaping the scales what his thickness requirement is and how flexible he is with that dimension. Stock Millie scales are 1/8" thick. You can make the micarta whatever thickness you want, but it's going to be hard to accurately estimate the final thickness on your first attempt. You would have to over-estimate the thickness and this will only work if the Steve (or whomever) can mill or surface grind it down to the desired thickness. It's not a problem though IF he's set up to handle it.

Another forum member read this thread and already asked me for the instructions, so I have the pics and descriptions ready to go if you decide you want to give it a shot. :D

Best regards,
Chad
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Xplorer wrote: Another forum member read this thread and already asked me for the instructions, so I have the pics and descriptions ready to go if you decide you want to give it a shot. :D

Best regards,
Chad

I have read a couple articles on the subject but since we're here anyway feel free to post it here.
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RadioactiveSpyder

Evil D wrote:The thing is, I have no doubt I could make it myself, I'm just not sure what a scale maker requires to make scales for a Military. Would I need to get it down to the right thickness or do they take care of all that? This isn't the same as making scales for a fixed blade where you can remove material and come to a desired thickness. I also wouldn't mind making the scales a bit thicker than usual and contouring them while we're at it. If it wasn't for the milling work that needs done on the inside of Military scales I would probably just try to make it all myself.
The scale stock I send Steve (I many times send him the materials I want him to work with, other times he sources it) are always thicker than needed and he shapes them to the right thickness. Contouring, thick, none of this is a problem for him. Want liners, bolsters? Again, no issue. He can help you to get exactly what you want. I design myself the great majority of the custom scales you see on my knives and Steve makes it come out stupefyingly amazing every single time. He's a genius in the shop.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

And Chad, you also appear to have some mad skills!! :D Cheers, Radioactive :)
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Evil D wrote:... feel free to post it here.
I'll PM you D.
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:And Chad, you also appear to have some mad skills!! :D Cheers, Radioactive :)
That's very nice of you Radioactive! Thank you. Cheers :)

Chad
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

IMG_0274.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
I love denim micarta, made some of my own too,(Northwoods came with it). I've got a couple sets from suingab,(g10it) not in denim but great work.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?