Dull Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CC13

Dull Blade

Post by CC13 »

Hi all. New here. Just purchased my very first Spyderco Endura 4 Stainless Combination Edge blade. When I received the blade in the mail, I found that the blade seemed pretty dull for it being brand new. I have an old remington blade that I am replacing with the Endura that has a way better edge and it is 4 years old. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I supposed to sharpen the blade out of the box? I have heard that stainless blades are harder to get a good edge on...could this be the case? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Avid RJ fan and knife enthusiast
ejames13

Re: Dull Blade

Post by ejames13 »

Where did you buy it from?
CC13

Post by CC13 »

Amazon...

Everything seems legit though. Nothing to indicate it is not a real Spyderco.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

The new spyderco knives I have bought have all come sharp.
Look for signs of use, its possible that you got a return with some use already on it.

If it is otherwise new and just isnt up to your standards of sharpness, I would just sharpen it. My knives never feel like they are truly mine until I do the first sharpening on them.

Your comment implies that the edge on the remington is 4 years old. Thats a pretty long time without sharpening. Maybe look into a sharpmaker or lansky kit if you dont have sharpening supplies already. Being able to make any knife sharp is a pleasure and will allow you to enjoy your tools more.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Unfortunately Amazon does not check their returns for use/counterfeits. Should not have to sharpen straight out of the box...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Ditto and Welcome to the forum CC13
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
CC13

Post by CC13 »

Thanks! And thanks all for the advice. Definitely no signs of wear or use. Came with the plastic stick-on coating on the grip of the blade and no indication of any fingerprints at all. Basically, it looks brand new. Planning to contact Amazon on the subject anyway to see if I can find any history on this particular knife, but looks like I'll just have to sharpen to my standards anyway.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

My dog tag came so dull it was infuriating.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

CC13 wrote:Came with the plastic stick-on coating on the grip of the blade
Is this a real thing? It doesn't come on US Spyderco knives.
CC13

Post by CC13 »

I read a few other forum posts and apparently the knives from amazon come with it. Seems like something fishy is going on with the amazon knives. I wish I could show you how dull it really is.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bdblue wrote:
CC13 wrote:Came with the plastic stick-on coating on the grip of the blade
Is this a real thing? It doesn't come on US Spyderco knives.
SS handle spydies have removable plastic film on the scales to protect from scratches...at least my Equilibrium did.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

it happens, I've had some that were dullish before.

Luckily for you, vg-10 is easy to sharpen. There's many options for sharpening. I've recently found that leather strops *with* buffing compound is a quick way to cheat yourself into a very sharp edge.
araneae

Post by araneae »

What are your standards for judging it as dull? Does it cut newsprint, shave? I have never had a dull new Spyderco and I must have purchased near a 100. Saying it is duller than the edge on a 4 year old knife doesn't really tell me much as I have 10+ year old knives that shave. Spydercos come very sharp as a general rule and from my experience. One of the benefits of buying from a real knife dealer is avoiding the concerns that you may have a returned knife or counterfeit.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
palonej

Post by palonej »

If you can, return it and buy from a reputable dealer.
I have purchased ~ 30 brand new Spydie's from great dealers and each one shaved hair off my arm easily.
When you buy from Amazon or eBay you never know what you're getting. Not worth it to save a couple bucks.
Good luck!
Joe
CC13

Post by CC13 »

Thanks all. It's hard to explain exactly how dull it is or isn't obviously, but it's definitely not what it should be. Going to return to Amazon and purchase directly from Spyderco. Just don't trust it.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

CC13 wrote:Thanks all. It's hard to explain exactly how dull it is or isn't obviously, but it's definitely not what it should be. Going to return to Amazon and purchase directly from Spyderco. Just don't trust it.
You'll end up paying msrp directly from the SFO, I would go with one of the other trusted vendors like Knifeworks, GPKnives, National, KnifeCenter, CutleryShop etc. these vendors offer MAP pricing which is 40% off msrp, :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
CC13

Post by CC13 »

Excellent! Again thanks. I know where to come for knife advice from now on! Now, time to start my collection
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

CC13 wrote:Excellent! Again thanks. I know where to come for knife advice from now on! Now, time to start my collection
Don't do it. Turn back before it's too late. Once you fall down the rabbit hole there's no going back...........not that you would want to anyway.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

It was likely sold to someone and used a bit and then returned. Amazon doesn't check their returns. I've bought merchandise that was obviously used too. Spyderco factory sharpness has always been very good in my experience. Even on the foreign cheaper models. Return it for refund and buy from a reputable dealer.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I'm with the rest of them. Every single Spyderco knife I ever purchased came razor-sharp. I am not saying it is not possible for one to come somewhat dull. But, I'd return it and get one from one of the others like Knife Works or Cutlery Shoppe.