Spyderco/flashlight match-up.....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbturbodad

Re: Spyderco/flashlight match-up.....

Post by bbturbodad »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:52 pm
There are pros and cons to USB rechargable lights.

I'm using a USB rechargable AAA cell in mine. I always carry an extra cell that I can swap out if the rechargable cell runs out when I'm in the middle of using it. With the USB lights, you don't have the option to swap out a battery when depleted and continue to use it, you have to dock the light and wait.
Yep, I can see that being annoying. I've always heard that it extends the life of a battery if you drain it completely before recharging - is that true of these newer rechargeable lithium ion batteries? I ask because recharging the light every night would certainly get me through any average day.
Lithium batteries do not like to be drained all the way down or be fully charged for longevity. General rule is to keep them between 80-20% if you want the battery to last as long as possible. Realistically though you give up runtime so I charge them to 100% and recharge whenever possible because I would rather have the runtime when needed vs the battery lasting for longer. Running them all the way down is harder on them than fully charging them.
The number of times the battery is cycled also has effect on longevity so avoid topping off daily if you don't need to and are concerned with the battery lasting for as long as possible.

-Turbo
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Excellent info, Turbo - thank you!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
autoxer

Post by autoxer »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:50 pm
Lithium batteries do not like to be drained all the way down or be fully charged for longevity. General rule is to keep them between 80-20% if you want the battery to last as long as possible. Realistically though you give up runtime so I charge them to 100% and recharge whenever possible because I would rather have the runtime when needed vs the battery lasting for longer. Running them all the way down is harder on them than fully charging them.
The number of times the battery is cycled also has effect on longevity so avoid topping off daily if you don't need to and are concerned with the battery lasting for as long as possible.

I was going to write almost this same thing, but Turbo beat me to it. I think if you generally follow this you’ll be good to go.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

here are some of the items i mentioned earlier. the tini is seriously small and seriously powerful for its size. definitely not a tactical light, but it’s got more than enough power for an edc light.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

JuPaul wrote:
PeaceInOurTime wrote:

I'm using a USB rechargable AAA cell in mine. I always carry an extra cell that I can swap out if the rechargable cell runs out when I'm in the middle of using it. With the USB lights, you don't have the option to swap out a battery when depleted and continue to use it, you have to dock the light and wait.
Yep, I can see that being annoying. I've always heard that it extends the life of a battery if you drain it completely before recharging - is that true of these newer rechargeable lithium ion batteries? I ask because recharging the light every night would certainly get me through any average day.

I wasn't aware of most of that info Turbo, thanks!

Julia, depending on how much I use my light, I top off the battery one to three times a week. I have drained the battery several times and haven't seen any problems, but I assume the issues would be seen later in the battery's life. I don't worry too much about always being topped off because I carry a spare battery with me.

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:24 pm
JuPaul wrote:
PeaceInOurTime wrote:

I wasn't aware of most of that info Turbo, thanks!

Julia, depending on how much I use my light, I top off the battery one to three times a week. I have drained the battery several times and haven't seen any problems, but I assume the issues would be seen later in the battery's life. I don't worry too much about always being topped off because I carry a spare battery with me.

i haven’t seen a battery like that before. where did you find that?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:29 pm

I found it on Amazon. Came in a pack of 2 AAA and 2 AA for around $25 USD, if I remember correctly. I keep the the two AAs in my Thrunite Archer 2A V2.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

These are the two lights that I carry 90% of the time along with what has become pretty much my favorite Spyderco.
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

There are some spectacular knive/flashlight combos in this thread. My contribution is somewhat subdued and lets face it cheaper. A Maglight Solitare works well for me. Not very sophisticated but plenty durable; I don't know how many times I have dropped that light. The Navigator II is one of my favorite Spyderco.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:34 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:29 pm

I found it on Amazon. Came in a pack of 2 AAA and 2 AA for around $25 USD, if I remember correctly. I keep the the two AAs in my Thrunite Archer 2A V2.
Those certainly seem handy. Gotta look for a pack.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

BobABQ wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:42 pm
There are some spectacular knive/flashlight combos in this thread. My contribution is somewhat subdued and lets face it cheaper. A Maglight Solitare works well for me. Not very sophisticated but plenty durable; I don't know how many times I have dropped that light. The Navigator II is one of my favorite Spyderco.
Nice to see some well worn (and loved tools).
Thanks for sharing!
anycal

Post by anycal »

Peter
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I forgot this light had a magnetic base...dropped them loose into the same pocket and CLICK.

-Turbo
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

utor

Post by utor »

poor knife!

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Glad to see this thread pop up again. Now I'm still carrying a Surefire E2D Defender model but I'm now also rotating another Surefire unit. I'm also using a Surefire 6XP Pro model in my rotation>> I mainly carry it along with my Spyderco Sprint Run C-60 G-10 Ayoob model and my Para2 S110V .

It's truly interesting how different units of flashlights and folder knives tend to go well together. With hard economic times ahead almost being an absolute certainty I'm going to be getting more flashlights, batteries, chargers and other pertinent hardware for the challenging times ahead. Knives, flashlights, fire starting hardware and water filtering devices all pretty much taking priority for uncertain times coming.

I would love to see Surefire and Spyderco do some type of promotional collaboration.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:41 am
Glad to see this thread pop up again. Now I'm still carrying a Surefire E2D Defender model but I'm now also rotating another Surefire unit. I'm also using a Surefire 6XP Pro model in my rotation>> I mainly carry it along with my Spyderco Sprint Run C-60 G-10 Ayoob model and my Para2 S110V .

It's truly interesting how different units of flashlights and folder knives tend to go well together. With hard economic times ahead almost being an absolute certainty I'm going to be getting more flashlights, batteries, chargers and other pertinent hardware for the challenging times ahead. Knives, flashlights, fire starting hardware and water filtering devices all pretty much taking priority for uncertain times coming.

I would love to see Surefire and Spyderco do some type of promotional collaboration.

I have both the SF EDCL1-T and EDCL2-T. :)
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

IMG_E0350.JPG
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I posted this in the other thread, but it fits in here just as well. Here's my k390 para3 and my Prometheus Lights Beta QRv2:

--Jeremy