Spyderco/flashlight match-up.....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Frozenspyder

Re: Spyderco/flashlight match-up.....

Post by Frozenspyder »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:49 pm
i see a lot of big flashlights in here. how are you all carrying these and what are you using them for? before you think that's asked in judgement, i carry 3-5 knives in varying sizes usually, so know it's not judgement. i ask because it just got so inconvenient to carry even a aaa light and i've only been carrying a nitecore tini. are you using these for tactical purposes, and if so, how are you carrying them? thanks.
If I carry a bigger light, I'll carry it in a belt holster. But then I lose the space where i would usually carry a Leatherman or a fixed blade. Anything the size of an Olight Warrior or smaller goes in my left front pocket with a pen. I've got big pockets though. It doesn't bother me to pocket carry a Tatanka.

I live on the very edge of a really small town in a rural area so big lights make sense for me. Sometimes I'll just use them to mess with the teenagers hanging out at the skate park at night though.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:49 pm
i see a lot of big flashlights in here. how are you all carrying these and what are you using them for? before you think that's asked in judgement, i carry 3-5 knives in varying sizes usually, so know it's not judgement. i ask because it just got so inconvenient to carry even a aaa light and i've only been carrying a nitecore tini. are you using these for tactical purposes, and if so, how are you carrying them? thanks.
I carry a PD36r at my night shift job. I clip it to my front left pocket or a side pocket. Some of my pants have a dedicated flashlight pocket, others have these side pockets:

I clip my knife to the right side pocket and large light to the left side pocket, which leaves my front pockets empty for keys, phone, leatherman squirt etc.

I carry a Fenix E03R on my keys every day. Its enough light for most situations. I grab a larger Fenix for work, camping and night hikes.

If you can comfortably carry a clipped folder a AAA light isn't really any worse with a good clip.
:unicorn
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:39 pm
If you can comfortably carry a clipped folder a AAA light isn't really any worse with a good clip.
yeah. it's not really that the light is too big, it's more that i don't have any place to comfortably put it. i carry my keys and wallet in my front left pocket, so there's not really room to clip anything there and i already have my main edc clipped to my front right pocket, where i also keep my phone. i don't really find it comfortable to keep anything in my back pockets that i have to sit on, especially anything solid like a flashlight. side pockets like you pictured would be fine, but i find myself bumping up against cars in parking lots or my kids will run up to hug my leg and hurt themselves on metal clips. i don't know... the problem is clearly first-world, but it's a problem nonetheless.
Frozenspyder wrote: If I carry a bigger light, I'll carry it in a belt holster. But then I lose the space where i would usually carry a Leatherman or a fixed blade. Anything the size of an Olight Warrior or smaller goes in my left front pocket with a pen. I've got big pockets though. It doesn't bother me to pocket carry a Tatanka.

I live on the very edge of a really small town in a rural area so big lights make sense for me. Sometimes I'll just use them to mess with the teenagers hanging out at the skate park at night though.
:D
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:40 am
vivi wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:39 pm
yeah. it's not really that the light is too big, it's more that i don't have any place to comfortably put it. i carry my keys and wallet in my front left pocket, so there's not really room to clip anything there and i already have my main edc clipped to my front right pocket, where i also keep my phone. i don't really find it comfortable to keep anything in my back pockets that i have to sit on, especially anything solid like a flashlight. side pockets like you pictured would be fine, but i find myself bumping up against cars in parking lots or my kids will run up to hug my leg and hurt themselves on metal clips. i don't know... the problem is clearly first-world, but it's a problem nonetheless.
What if you clipped it to the outer edge of your rear pocket? I can do that and not be sitting on it.

Even with keys and a wallet in the front pocket, unless you're wearing really tight pants I'd imagine there would be enough space for a smaller light like a Fenix pd25. But then again my pants have pockets large enough I can carry my Switch in one, haha.

I wear pants like that orthe other ones I posted, so I always have one of those side pockets or in this case theres a flashlight pocket between the front and rear pockets, above the cargo pockets. They fit my big lights perfectly.

You could even clip one IWB.

I find cars pretty easy to spot myself :p If you're carrying anything clipped its something you have to be conscious of. No different than a knife.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

vivi

Post by vivi »

Explorador

Post by Explorador »

It has gotten a little fresh here in Switzerland...
Aaronbern

Post by Aaronbern »

I have so many it's hard to choose! So I picked the two prettiest.
First up is the "Discontinued Ti" Sage 2 with the Foursevens Mini MkII Titanium both elegant and discontinued by the manufacturer.
"Discontinued Titanium" Sage 2 and Foursevens Mini MkII TI
"Discontinued Titanium" Sage 2 and Foursevens Mini MkII TI
Runner up is the "premium patina" PM2 Copper Rex45 paired with the Emisar D4V2TI COLORFUL 4x SST-20 2700K "tint snob edition" with RGB aux LEDs and a backlit switch. Copper heatsink is not for show this thing puts out 30 amps and will burn a hole in your pocket in about 15 seconds on "turbo".
PM2 Copper Rex45, Emisar D4V2TI colorful.
PM2 Copper Rex45, Emisar D4V2TI colorful.
kobold

Post by kobold »

The Native 5 Fluted Ti with the Sofirn SC01. 95 CRI, 4000K. 10180 battery, 330 max. lumens.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

kobold wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:56 am

The Native 5 Fluted Ti with the Sofirn SC01. 95 CRI, 4000K. 10180 battery, 330 max. lumens.
I bought two of these Sofirn SC01 SST20 4k when they dropped. First time in many years I swapped out my 10180 key chain lights. Now all my regular use lights are SST20 4k, which I've found is a pleasure to use. The CREE G2 or whatever all the other 10180 lights use is fine until you see 95CRI. Really hoping they do a Ti or at least Aluminum version next, the steel version has noticeable heft (nearly double the Olight I1r2).

kobold

Post by kobold »

I might also buy a second one, the light is really nice. On a white wall it is nothing special, but the moment it hits anything with color and texture it just comes alive. The finish is a bit smooth to turn one handed, but with a split ring attached it is fine.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

vivi wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:54 am
I wear pants like that
Image[/url]
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

kobold wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:09 pm
I might also buy a second one, the light is really nice. On a white wall it is nothing special, but the moment it hits anything with color and texture it just comes alive. The finish is a bit smooth to turn one handed, but with a split ring attached it is fine.
Agreed about the smooth finish. A thinner o-ring helped quite a bit with ease of use for me, but a more aggressive texture would have gone a long way.
kobold

Post by kobold »

The Acebeam TK16 with SST20@4000K & the Chap.

Last edited by kobold on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Here's the latest pocket dump, going all-in on OD Green here. The AAP & Para 3 Clip are new. The i5T now rides clipless in the front pocket to make room for the AAP in the back pocket. A very comfortable, very capable carry.

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Astrolux EC03 SST40@5000K & SpydieChef.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:49 pm
Julia,
Throw a 14500 Li ion in that i5t and it will output 1,000 lumens. You will lose the ability to step the output with the Li ion though.
It also voids the warranty, but since I have 3 of them from combo purchases, I dont mind running one hot (and it does run hot!)
Last edited by Superflex on Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Does this count?
Attachments
IMG_6299.JPG