I would like something in S110V.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShawnKirkpatrick21

I would like something in S110V.

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick21 »

My wife had ask a while back what I wanted for Christmas and I told her and headed here to see if a better idea popped up. I had told her I would like the blue paramilitary 2 in S110V and a dragonfly. So last night I received a catalog from spyderco, so I started window shopping. She ask to see the ones I wanted for Christmas in the book. I showed her the blue para2 and she said "don't you already have that knife?" (I just got my para2 a month ago so it's still fresh in her mind :D ). I paused a minute and answered "yes, She then said "why don't you try and find one you like that you don't have. So I flipped through and saw the manix 2 in blue with the S110V steel. She saw it the same time I did and said "that ones nice, and has the color you like and a different lock. Why don't you want that one?" So I said I'd give it some thought. (My wife is the sweetest :) ). So that leads to my questions. I have the paramilitary 2 with black G-10 and S30V steel. I like the para2 a lot. But like the look of the manix2 also. It's so hard to choose. Any help?
Evil D

Re: I would like something in S110V.

Post by Evil D »

I prefer the Manix over the Para, mostly because of ergonomics but I also prefer the blade shape. The Manix in S110V also comes with skeletonized liners which is kind of a big deal since only sprints and exclusives get skeletonized liners in the Manix (or does it? Someone can correct me on this, seems this subject is a bit muddy). Personally I'd take the Manix over the Para any day. BUT...

I also just got the Military in S110V and I may never carry another knife lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:I prefer the Manix over the Para, mostly because of ergonomics but I also prefer the blade shape. The Manix in S110V also comes with skeletonized liners which is kind of a big deal since only sprints and exclusives get skeletonized liners in the Manix (or does it? Someone can correct me on this, seems this subject is a bit muddy). Personally I'd take the Manix over the Para any day. BUT...

Just curious why do you favor the Millie over the Manix ? You just said you prefer the blade shape of the Manix over the Para2 but the Military and Para2 have quite similar blade shapes.

Marius
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

You have very sweet wife and you should listen to her advice. Manix 2 is great and in dark blue S110V even better. I prefer the grip of Manix over the PM2. Like the beefy handle. PM2 is a little bit thin to my taste. Military is great knife too. I had it for 6 months, but end up selling it. It was allways a bit long for me. I felt clumsy using it. End of the handle allways stick out of my palm.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Always good to try something new, especially when it's one of the must have knives in the lineup (IMHO). I really like the G10 version, but I carry the lightweight S110v everywhere. It's one of my favorite knives.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

This post has prompted me to pull the trigger on the dark blue Manix 2 S110V. I have PM2 and Millie in same configuration and they're just awesome. Will probably get the Native 5 in that treatment before year's end.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:
Evil D wrote:I prefer the Manix over the Para, mostly because of ergonomics but I also prefer the blade shape. The Manix in S110V also comes with skeletonized liners which is kind of a big deal since only sprints and exclusives get skeletonized liners in the Manix (or does it? Someone can correct me on this, seems this subject is a bit muddy). Personally I'd take the Manix over the Para any day. BUT...

Just curious why do you favor the Millie over the Manix ? You just said you prefer the blade shape of the Manix over the Para2 but the Military and Para2 have quite similar blade shapes.

Marius
The shape part has more to do with having a lower tip than aesthetics. I don't mind the LOOKS of the Para 2 blade, but the Manix blade has a little less belly and I like that. The Military is a whole different beast though, I like that knife more because of the total package rather than any one thing.
~David
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I prefer the Manix 2, but if you really like the Paramilitary I don't want to talk you out of it.

The things that I like about the Manix are; the blade shape, handle shape, and lock.

I'd rather have the tip forward blade shape of the Manix 2. I find that I really prefer shallow bellies or even straight edges like on the Manix or Yojimbo.

The shape of the Manix handle is also wonderful. It isn't a huge handle, but my fairly large hands fit on it comfortably. The handle has both a pronounced guard in the front, and a tapered butt that doesn't cramp my pinky.

And the caged ball bearing locks are strong and ambidextrous. They also lock open with a very satisfying click!

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
ShawnKirkpatrick21

I really love the paramilitary 2 platform. But it'd also be nice to have something different as my wife had said. What are some pros and cons of the manix2? If any at all.
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

I agree with everyone else that the manix 2 is awesome. I like the para2 a little better but the important question is whether or not the one you have is meeting your needs. Do you find yourself sharpening it more than you would like or do you dislike the black g-10? I'd say if your s30v model meets your needs, then branch out and try a new design. If not, but an s110v model would, then get the upgraded para from your wife and trade/sell the s30v model for something else, like a manix2.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I wouldn't try to talk you out of a Manix2, but it is something of a pocket hog. Ask me how I know.

Don't overlook the S110V Native5, whether the indigo G10, the FRCP, or the carbon-fiber version. Some of us think of the Native5 as a "mini-mini" Manix.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Manix 2 is my favorite knife. I do like the para 2 as well but much prefer the manix 2. The s110v as stated has skeletonized liners making it out 4.1 oz. Just barely heavier than the pm2. The knife feels much more substantial and the lock is stronger. It is wide in the pocket but the handle is thin. Even slightly thinner than the pm2. It does carry much easier than the pm2. I also find it to be the most ergonomic knife I own. Fits your hand like a glove. I have both the g10 and lw version in s110v. You should consider the lw version if weight is any concern. It is extremely light and very strong for an frn knife. I find it much sturdier than the delica or endure for instance. I like the manix 2 so much I sold my pm2 if that tells you anything. Also another plus is it completely ambidextrous. Also another plus is it has a stronger detent then the para 2 as well. You should tell her you want a g10 and a lw version for Christmas. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Regular G10 Manix 2 is noticeably heavier than Para2. Dark blue S110V has skeletonize liners, so weight different is not an issue, anymore. Manix has a little less edge and is ground thicker behind the edge. Both knives are very popular. And both are great EDC blade. Choose one, or another is on personal preference in lock, handle shape and overall looks.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I own a Manix2 and it is a fine knife. Drawbacks for me are that it takes up a lot of poocket space, has a ton of superfluous jimping and only comes tip up. I still wouoldn't talk you out of buying one. It is a great knife.

You have recently started two threads on sharpening. Are you sure you want some S110V? If you do then by all means go for it. I have five knives in S110V and it is a fine steel but maybe not the best steel for all people or all applications. If I was in the market for a Manix2 right now I would be all over the XHP excusive that is available at the moment. I think you will find XHP much more cooperative on the stones than S110V. I really really want that knife but my knife budget is basically non existant at the moment due to a voluntary career change.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Maxamet Manix 2 might also be a good candidate. I have to admit that it is tempting me sorely.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ShawnKirkpatrick21

bearfacedkiller wrote:I own a Manix2 and it is a fine knife. Drawbacks for me are that it takes up a lot of poocket space, has a ton of superfluous jimping and only comes tip up. I still wouoldn't talk you out of buying one. It is a great knife.

You have recently started two threads on sharpening. Are you sure you want some S110V? If you do then by all means go for it. I have five knives in S110V and it is a fine steel but maybe not the best steel for all people or all applications. If I was in the market for a Manix2 right now I would be all over the XHP excusive that is available at the moment. I think you will find XHP much more cooperative on the stones than S110V. I really really want that knife but my knife budget is basically non existant at the moment due to a voluntary career change.
Haha good point. I did however find that I was over thinking the whole sharpening process and found I was doing certain things wrong. I then corrected those things and sharpened my S30V para2 and it's now the sharpest thing I own and the sharpest I've gotten any knife. I tested t over the weekend and shaved down a wooden stake (1X2) about 10 inches. Cut some zip ties and somesome thick plastic banding. Haven't touched the knife up since and it still shaves and slices phonebook paper. Thank you for the concern though. I feel pretty confident about being able to sharpen the s110v. Like I said I was over thinking the sharpening process therefore making me stupid to the whole situation.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am very happy to hear that you sorted it out. I never seem to stop learning and improving when it comes to sharpening. If you are confident that you can sharpen S110V then I believe you can. It really isn't that hard unless you over think it. :) If you are determined then sharpening harder to sharpen steels will only make you a better sharpener and if you are struggling we are always here to help. :)

My suggestion then is the LW Manix in S110V.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ShawnKirkpatrick21

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am very happy to hear that you sorted it out. I never seem to stop learning and improving when it comes to sharpening. If you are confident that you can sharpen S110V then I believe you can. It really isn't that hard unless you over think it. :) If you are determined then sharpening harder to sharpen steels will only make you a better sharpener and if you are struggling we are always here to help. :)

It sure is a nice feeling knowing you can cut some and the edge not have visible damage.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

I was gonna say definitely get the Para 2, til today. I got one when they came out and it was perfect specimen, and it still is finish-wise. But I have not carried much. So, decided to last few days and in only 2 days it has developed a pretty bad lock stick. It has to go. Will be on the exchange tonight. That, and off centering that can't be fixed, are my two biggest peeves.

This makes two Para's in a row with lock stick issues. This one and the CF M4 sprint. One out of the box and the other after very little use.

Because of that, my vote is for the Military or Manix.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am very happy to hear that you sorted it out. I never seem to stop learning and improving when it comes to sharpening. If you are confident that you can sharpen S110V then I believe you can. It really isn't that hard unless you over think it. :) If you are determined then sharpening harder to sharpen steels will only make you a better sharpener and if you are struggling we are always here to help. :)

Yep, just DON'T BLAME THE STEEL in the end if you struggle to get it sharp.

My first Spyderco was a Native Lightweight in S30V/SE, carried it for about 5 years and never once sharpened it.

Second Spyderco was a standard Delica VG10/PE, which I learned to sharpen quite well on a Lansky.

Then I got cocky and jumped straight to a Caly 3 ZDP, and promptly learned that all I had learned about sharpening meant absolutely diddly and I had to start back at edge apexing 101. That knife nearly broke me, but once I learned to get it as sharp as I was getting VG10, going back to VG10 was so much easier than it ever was.

The important thing to note about high carbon/high carbide/high wear resistant steels is, they aren't necessarily more difficult to sharpen, they just take more time and are maybe a bit less forgiving of poor technique. You have to invest the time into sharpening them, and let the stones do the work. The more you try to use a heavy hand to sharpen a steel like ZDP, the less sharp it's going to get.
~David