Techno backspacer dimensions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
w3tnz

Techno backspacer dimensions

Post by w3tnz »

Hi guys I have a techno inbound and would like to make a custom backspacer before it arrives, I have searched high and low but cant find the dimensions anywhere.

Could someone please measure the thickness of the spacer or take an inside measurement between the scales with some calipers for me?
Needs to be accurate as possible, if anyone with the know how could even do a sketch showing all dimensions; mainly distance between bolt holes etc that would be even better, but really just need the thickness/width.

In return for your time I can make a second backspacer for your techno, will be brass or maybe copper if you prefer.

Thanks SCF!
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Re: Techno backspacer dimensions

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

5.3mm thick
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

If you can mill down some copper to 5.3mm I would love a small piece!
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

In case you use standard measurements rather than metric...it's about a hair thinner than .22" or 7/32".

I've made 12 Techno back spacers so far and my experience has been, if I mill them to 7/32" they're perfect after I do a quick finish sanding on the milled surface.

If you have questions along the way I'd be happy to help. :)

Best regards,

Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Thanks for your replies, very helpful. Xplorer, the standard units in these parts are metric :) but great information, those spacers look great. Will be enough to go on untill it arrives, I'll see what I can come up with!
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Got some copper and brass 6.0mm (0.236") flat bar, just waiting for the knife before I do any machining.

w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Got the knife today :) my initial measurements with some cheap calipers, were 5.5mm, inches was fluctuating between 0.21-0.22, so pretty close to Xplorers measurement of 7/32" or 5.556mm, I can check with a mic next week and start making a few spacers.

Obligatory
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

w3tnz wrote:Got the knife today :) my initial measurements with some cheap calipers, were 5.5mm, inches was fluctuating between 0.21-0.22, so pretty close to Xplorers measurement of 7/32" or 5.556mm

Obligatory
That's a beautiful scale on the Techno!!

Just to make sure you understood what I was saying before you start milling... if you look at my dial we both got the same measurement. I mill them to 7/32" (or 5.556mm) so they're just slightly fat to allow for finish sanding the milled side and polishing both sides. Once finished the end result is perfect. If I were to start with 5.5mm material I would have to leave the sides as they came off the mill and I want them smoother than that :) .

I'm looking forward to seeing your pieces!

Best regards,

Chad
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Hi Chad thanks again for the advice, I think I know what you mean about the milled surface not being perfectly true after cutting. I managed to get one done today after work, I had a look at the milled surface after a pass and was happy it was "smooth enough" so didn't worry about over sizing it for sanding, we got it to 5.550mm and called it done. Got a measurement of 5.544 on the factory techno spacer. I was kind of rushing and just eyeballed most of it from there on, my lanyard hole missed by about half a mm, can just see the edge of it, but there is enough meat there to enlarge the hole slightly. Other than that really happy with how it turned out, I have to give a shout out to DAYWALKER as his techno was a huge inspiration.
I'll see if I can get my workmate to mill down some more of the material, so I can make a few more in my spare time, I think I could get 3 out of each length.

Spey

Post by Spey »

w3tnz,

Nice looking work there ;-)

Are you installing any type of reinforcement insert for the stop pin in your scales (metal, etc.) ?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Nice work w3tnz! It looks great!
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Thanks bro's, Spey I can't take any credit for the scale I didn't make it but, I can confirm there is no reinforcing or insert for the stop pin, I'm not sure it would be required or even a good idea to reinforce it, the CF seems strong enough, time will tell I guess :)

Spey wrote:w3tnz,

Nice looking work there ;-)

Are you installing any type of reinforcement insert for the stop pin in your scales (metal, etc.) ?