Edge pro apex and hollow ground spydies?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Exactly what problems are you having?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Re: Edge pro apex and hollow ground spydies?

Post by farnorthdan »

Are you having a hard time keeping it flat?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

The addition of a few high-power magnets underneath the Edge Pro platform is a beautiful thing, and helps to keep knives without a nice, flat, usable ricasso at a consistent angle during sharpening, so you can then adjust the height of the rod to match the factory grind.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If possible I rest every knife on the tang, otherwise the edge will be out of parallel with the table and (ideally) you don't want that. The best advice I can give here is get as many magnets underneath as you can fit (check chefknivestogo.com) and use your off hand to hold the blade as steady as you can. Then if you still find that you're causing the blade to drop down off the flat of the tang, then you're probably being too heavy handed with your stone hand. You only want slightly more pressure than the weight of the stone, and this is a rule of thumb for more reasons than just this one.

Alternately there's nothing stopping you from sharpening with the blade laying on the hollow grind (or on the main grind of any grind type) but the resulting edge angle will be different than what the EP or an angle cube reads. I sharpen large kitchen knives this way because I don't obsess over what angle they're at, and they don't have a usable tang anyway and the extra length means you need to move the blade left to right anyway. Doing it this way will cause the stones to hit at a lower angle so it's not the end of the world, just something to consider. Repeatable results are most important so do what works best for you.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
delphidoc

Post by delphidoc »

+1 what Evil D said about resting the knife on the tang, not the spine. If you lay the spine on the base you'll end up with a wider, shallower bevel as you go toward the knife tip. This is due to the blade stock getting thinner toward the tip.

If you lay the knife handle on the base or apply too much downward pressure with the stones with the tang on the base the blade is more likely to flex or deflect downward and you'll end up with and uneven bevel.

I use magnets I salvaged out of old computer hard drives. I make sure to frequently wipe the swarf off the blade as I go. I've heard metal shavings from the blade will stick to the blade due to the magnets and can lead to scratches along the bevel.

I can steady the blade better if I'm standing in front of the EP rather than sitting down.

HTH