Edge Geometry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mrtodd777

Edge Geometry?

Post by mrtodd777 »

Hey everyone. I really enjoy the recent posts regarding custom regrinds, reprofiling, sharpening, and the like. I notice there are alot of terms used that I am not to familiar with (DPS, distal taper, apex, etc...) Does anyone know of any good literature on the subject or perhaps a link to any helpful online articles or old forum threads that I might be able to read. I really admire some of the work you guys do, and have done to make a knife fit specific needs and wants and I would like to be able to join the club. Any advice, tips, links would be extremely helpful. Whats sad is that I am actually a Quality Control Manager at a CNC machine facility so my access to high end measuring devices, CNC machine time, lathe time, precision grinders is endless. We throw away leftover G10 like its garbage but I know I could eventually learn to makes scales.. We all had to start somewhere!!!
bearfacedkiller

Re: Edge Geometry?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There is a ton of good info on bladeforums in the maintenance,tinkering and embellishment subforum. Browse around there for a while. Here a just a couple.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... 15-updates!)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... 15-updates!)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
paladin

Post by paladin »

Thanks for the background, sounds like a dream job for a lot of the knife knuts who frequent the forum here!

I don't know of any one good location, but chefknivestogo <dot> com would be a pretty decent "single" location to start from. They have a very informative forum section (sharpening wise) that you're free to lurk & browse. Of course you can join, if you like it.

This may be obvious, but just try Google-ing the term you're studying, check out the image tabs for visuals. Try advanced Google search and filter your results to specific file types like .ppt files only and you will find interesting PowerPoint shows that may tie in nicely blending some text and visuals.

YouTube has become pretty useful, but make sure your BS filter is active.

The upside of internet research is the huge volume of knowledge easily available to you. :)

The downside of internet research is the huge volume of knowledge easily available to you. :mad: Easy to chase red herrings and bird walk.

No two ways about it kid some things never change even in the current era, you gotta put in the time and pay them dues. ;)
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Thanks fellas. That is where I will begin!
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

This one could be useful as well: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ant-to-you

:)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The Spyderco company website and the catalogues have a bunch of information and explanation of the terms used. Try there and do some reading. I have been a knifeknut for decades but I refer back frequently.

Joe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Edge Geometry is getting to be a very interesting subject for me. About 3 months ago our good Brother "EVIL D" made the observation that full flat grind Spyderedged blades were superior to many other types of grinds with serrated blades. I've tested it myself and he's right. I would love to see a Hawkbill with a full flat grind blade in Spyderedge just to see how that would work.

All of those CALYPSO models ( with few exceptions) have full flat grinds and are some of Spyderco's all time best sellers and they are some of the most sought after discontinued models>> with the Caly Jr. being a prime example.