Spyderco Factory Outlet Seconds Sale!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jabba359

Re: Spyderco Factory Outlet Seconds Sale!

Post by jabba359 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Well, I moved back to the north east so for this year I am out. If anybody who is going wants to help a brother out let me know. ;)
Bummer you won't be there. I was looking forward to hanging out again. :(

Just booked my flight since prices are super cheap. I'm not 100% certain I can make it, but at least the flight is refundable (as a credit towards a future flight) and I got in while tickets are so low. I figure I only need to buy 4 or 5 knives and the savings pay for the flight. Let's just say last time I bought more than enough to make up for the price of the flight. :cool:
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I can fly there for $200 round trip and I have tons of places to stay there ( I can walk there from my buddies house) but now that I am a stay at home dad it just isn't in the cards. Maybe next time. I have had a blast at the past two for sure and meeting lots of forumites is always great.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

I want to go, but I'm not into camping there all night. If I show up in line at 6am, will there still be a lot to choose from by the time my turn comes around?
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Cogito wrote:I want to go, but I'm not into camping there all night. If I show up in line at 6am, will there still be a lot to choose from by the time my turn comes around?
There was last year. I think I showed up around 6:15, and I didn't feel there was any shortage of knives. I spent 2.5 hours looking at knives and I had to skip a lot of boxes. The main concern would be if you were on the lookout for a specific rare knife. Those seemed to get snatched up fast, but they seemed to be rotating in new boxes throughout the day, so you could still get lucky. I saw a few rare-ish knives at the sale and pointed them out to people I knew would want them.

You could probably show up after the sale has started and still have a good amount to choose from.

Waiting in line prior to the sale was a lot of fun actually. People around me in line were very nice to talk with, and spyderco employees were walking around giving out stickers, pins, etc.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

EDC Honeybee wrote:
Cogito wrote:I want to go, but I'm not into camping there all night. If I show up in line at 6am, will there still be a lot to choose from by the time my turn comes around?
There was last year. I think I showed up around 6:15, and I didn't feel there was any shortage of knives. I spent 2.5 hours looking at knives and I had to skip a lot of boxes. The main concern would be if you were on the lookout for a specific rare knife. Those seemed to get snatched up fast, but they seemed to be rotating in new boxes throughout the day, so you could still get lucky. I saw a few rare-ish knives at the sale and pointed them out to people I knew would want them.

You could probably show up after the sale has started and still have a good amount to choose from.

Waiting in line prior to the sale was a lot of fun actually. People around me in line were very nice to talk with, and spyderco employees were walking around giving out stickers, pins, etc.
This was very helpful. I'll be there. Thanks!
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Cogito wrote:
EDC Honeybee wrote:

This was very helpful. I'll be there. Thanks!
Hope to see you there!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Got my flight booked today, see you guys there! :D :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sadly, I had planned on going, but a family reunion coincides with that date and I'll be travelling for that. Hope everyone has fruitful shopping, if anyone wants to be my secret shopper, drop me a PM. :D
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
BTG

Post by BTG »

Definitely no shortage..last year I was near the front, went in and got a bunch went out put them in the car....my flight out wasn't till 7 that night so went back in.....didn't even get in line as I was in no hurry, just sat out in the lobby checking out the stuff out there (big piece off World Trade Centre I beam)..Sal's wife came out there and we talked foe an hour till the lines died down some around 10 and got back in like...still found just about all the same stuff...only a few are really hard to find then he
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Hey BTG, from your experience what do you think I can expect to see for fixed blades? This will be my first year attending and, like many, I'm trying to come up with a few things that I might like to look for while I'm there.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Mushroom wrote:Hey BTG, from your experience what do you think I can expect to see for fixed blades? This will be my first year attending and, like many, I'm trying to come up with a few things that I might like to look for while I'm there.
Im not BTG, but there was a fairly wide selection of the fixed blades. I also remember seeing at least one Rock, many kitchen blades, some of the mule team series, etc. I was going to plan to pick some up but as I remember it, the discounts were not as deep as the folders and didnt justify the impulse buy. There seemed to be many fixed blades but I dont remember seeing any of the more EDC-friendly small fixed blades. They may have just been hidden. It seemed like the table with fixed blades was more organized than the folder boxes, so it was easy to compare several of the same knife.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Mushroom wrote:Hey BTG, from your experience what do you think I can expect to see for fixed blades? This will be my first year attending and, like many, I'm trying to come up with a few things that I might like to look for while I'm there.

Last year I got a Jumpmaster and A Temperance 2, can't find anything wrong with the Jumpmaster except no sheath....but 2nds don't come with sheaths, maybe that was the problem though ? T2 had burr on bevel that sharpened right out..one was 100 the other 110 but can't remember which was which, but gives ya a ballpark....I didn't see much of anything over that either....maybeTi Millies, but I think there was only about 6 of those , and I only saw those briefly...#1 guy in line scored those, but even that is hit and miss....soooo many tables, if your up near the front, the first table you hit is probably going to be your gold...if you see something rare grab them all and trade....I was a nubie last year and was clueless...if not trading, look them all over and keep the best and just put the ones that don't make the cut back.....in other words grab everything first, sort and whittle it down later....I could just go in and out later Saturday since I'm not really looking for any seconds this year, I'm planning on mostly the discounted 1st run tables....maybe a bunch of last years forum knives they should priced to move,,,I only do seconds as users not in the collection, and I got 20 or so users now....but I'll be on the look out for a little post sale contest fodder fo sho !! But Im going Friday to hang overnight anyway...just for the fun of it..I just gotta stop on the way this time and get a lawn chair at Walmart or something, I can sit all night no problem.... standing just didn't work out...I was rushing to get there last year, getting in a little earlier this year.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

EDC Honeybee wrote:Im not BTG, but there was a fairly wide selection of the fixed blades. I also remember seeing at least one Rock, many kitchen blades, some of the mule team series, etc. I was going to plan to pick some up but as I remember it, the discounts were not as deep as the folders and didnt justify the impulse buy. There seemed to be many fixed blades but I dont remember seeing any of the more EDC-friendly small fixed blades. They may have just been hidden. It seemed like the table with fixed blades was more organized than the folder boxes, so it was easy to compare several of the same knife.
Thanks Honeybee! Honestly, anyone sharing their experience at the sale is appreciated and certainly helps gauge what to expect. Do all the seconds folders come in boxes? and for that matter, do the fixed blade seconds ?
BTG wrote:Last year I got a Jumpmaster and A Temperance 2, can't find anything wrong with the Jumpmaster except no sheath....but 2nds don't come with sheaths, maybe that was the problem though ? T2 had burr on bevel that sharpened right out..one was 100 the other 110 but can't remember which was which, but gives ya a ballpark....I didn't see much of anything over that either....maybeTi Millies, but I think there was only about 6 of those , and I only saw those briefly...#1 guy in line scored those, but even that is hit and miss....soooo many tables, if your up near the front, the first table you hit is probably going to be your gold...if you see something rare grab them all and trade....I was a nubie last year and was clueless...if not trading, look them all over and keep the best and just put the ones that don't make the cut back.....in other words grab everything first, sort and whittle it down later....I could just go in and out later Saturday since I'm not really looking for any seconds this year, I'm planning on mostly the discounted 1st run tables....maybe a bunch of last years forum knives they should priced to move,,,I only do seconds as users not in the collection, and I got 20 or so users now....but I'll be on the look out for a little post sale contest fodder fo sho !! But Im going Friday to hang overnight anyway...just for the fun of it..I just gotta stop on the way this time and get a lawn chair at Walmart or something, I can sit all night no problem.... standing just didn't work out...I was rushing to get there last year, getting in a little earlier this year.
Thanks for the tips BTG, I convinced a friend to come 'chill' for the night ;) so hopefully together we'll be able to score a couple nice finds. I'll definitely keep trading in mind while I'm there too, I hadn't even considered that as an option :eek: It's also reassuring to here from you guys that theres plenty of tables to browse!

I'm flying in a few days early just to check out Colorado and be a tourist, but at some point I'll have to make my way to a walmart or something for a chair, good call!
BTG

Post by BTG »

Thanks Honeybee! Honestly, anyone sharing their experience at the sale is appreciated and certainly helps gauge what to expect. Do all the seconds folders come in boxes? and for that matter, do the fixed blade seconds ?

No boxes with any seconds, not 100% sure on fixed blade sheaths...Jumpmaster didn't have one, T2 did..? But no boxes for sure...it worked out as I needed another spyderpac anyway.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Yep, some fixed blades had sheaths, others didn't. The Lum Tanto FB I bought had a sheath, but there were some Lum Tantos without as well. My Warrior and Temp 2 didn't have sheaths, but my Caspian did. But no boxes for any knives at all, folder or fixed.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Any idea what a ZDP, or even HAP, Dragonfly might go for?
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Mushroom wrote:
EDC Honeybee wrote:Im not BTG, but there was a fairly wide selection of the fixed blades. I also remember seeing at least one Rock, many kitchen blades, some of the mule team series, etc. I was going to plan to pick some up but as I remember it, the discounts were not as deep as the folders and didnt justify the impulse buy. There seemed to be many fixed blades but I dont remember seeing any of the more EDC-friendly small fixed blades. They may have just been hidden. It seemed like the table with fixed blades was more organized than the folder boxes, so it was easy to compare several of the same knife.
I could be misremembering, but I dont think any knives (other than the non-second closeouts) came with boxes. The fixed blades came with cardboard sleeves to protect the blade though. And they gave me a plastic bag to haul my knives home in :P
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Sildani wrote:Any idea what a ZDP, or even HAP, Dragonfly might go for?
Yep. I bought one of only two that I saw of the dragonflies last year (there were probably 10 or less total being rotated throughout the day). Mine had about an eight inch or so broken off the tip. Had a chipped edge. Had some minor rust spots since it was zdp that hadnt been cared for. Was $20. Clearly a return and the rust and chips were not typical of other knives there. I gave it some TLC, reprofiled the spine, sharpened out the chips, and now it is a beautiful user wharnclif DF2.

Other than one SE zdp dragonfly and the broken straight edge I bought, I didnt see any dragonflies. There was some speculation last year that the staff had bought them up to give as christmas gifts, but I never heard it confirmed or denied.

I went specifically wanting a ladybug, roadie, manbug, and/or dragonfly last year. Didnt see any of those models except the above-mentioned DF2s.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

It would be great if they somehow made them available online for those of us that live all the way across the county.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I'll be there Friday evening, as usual. See you all then!