Number of Spyderco Knives in your collection

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Re: Number of Spyderco Knives in your collection

Post by The Mastiff »

about 120-130 or thereabouts. This includes mule team knives of which I have almost a complete set.

Joe
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

Four

Cutlery Shoppe orange/black XHP PM2
all black PM2
Techno
Delica
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

haven't counted lately but id bet its up to 130 by now, if not a few more
archangel

Post by archangel »

The Deacon wrote:Stopped counting when it hit 500. That was 8 years ago.
Holy cow... you are :spyder:

Any model or version you don't own?

Where do you keep them? Care to share group pics? Apparently I am too dumb to check signatures... :eek:
Last edited by archangel on Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

got 30 and 1 on the way, over aprox 2 yrs
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

The Deacon wrote:Stopped counting when it hit 500. That was 8 years ago.
Wow, that's nuts... I am so jealous...

I'll just tell myself that it's not the size of the collection, but how one uses them that's important.

I have 3.

I love them all.
In order of acquisition: Ladybug in H1 : Paramilitary in S110v : Rock Salt in H1 : Vallotton Sub Hilt CPM S30V : Mule Team 23 (CPM20CV) : Next on the wishlist - Dragonfly ZDP189

Thanks to everyone who contributes on this forum. I do not post often but love checking the forum every few days to read new posts and comments. It really is a great forum and I learn so much :)
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

Evil D wrote:I think I'm at 27 including a couple duplicates. I honestly never thought I'd own this many and sometimes I wonder why I do since I gravitate to using only a couple models.
Hi Evil D,

Do you mind if I ask which knifes of your collection you gravitate to using often, and why?

Cheers,
Andrew
In order of acquisition: Ladybug in H1 : Paramilitary in S110v : Rock Salt in H1 : Vallotton Sub Hilt CPM S30V : Mule Team 23 (CPM20CV) : Next on the wishlist - Dragonfly ZDP189

Thanks to everyone who contributes on this forum. I do not post often but love checking the forum every few days to read new posts and comments. It really is a great forum and I learn so much :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

AndrewM wrote:
Evil D wrote:I think I'm at 27 including a couple duplicates. I honestly never thought I'd own this many and sometimes I wonder why I do since I gravitate to using only a couple models.
Hi Evil D,

Do you mind if I ask which knifes of your collection you gravitate to using often, and why?

Cheers,
Andrew
Not at all. Lately I've been carrying the Military quite a lot, and after that I probably carry my Yojimbo 2 the most. A lot of it just comes from years of slowly narrowing down preferences and coming to like certain features more than others. With the Military I've just come to really appreciate the size and comfort in using it because I have big hands. The Yojimbo on the other hand is much smaller but the handle is designed (and further modded by me) in such a way that I still get a full grip on it and it's a very useful knife for utility purposes. I also do a job that sometimes puts me in not so great parts of town around not so great parts of society and both these knives seem to give me a little piece of mind knowing that if it really came down to it they would serve me well in self defense.

Of those 27, 4 of them are Military's and 3 of them are Yojimbo 2's (now that I think of it, that third Yojimbo 2 makes 28). Those two models along with the Dragonfly, Ladybug, and some that I've had different versions of in the past, are the only ones that I like so much I've bought duplicates of, and 2 of each of the Military/Yojimbo 2 are exact duplicates (bought 2 each of different sprints) for future replacements should I need them. I don't run out and buy every version of my favorite knife just to collect them though, the other Military's in the group have different steel and edge types, and that third Yojimbo 2 is the original S30V version while the ones I carry are the S90V dealer exclusives.

I guess to answer your question a little more specifically, the two I carry the most are:

S90V Yojimbo 2

And though I've only had it for a couple days now, the S110V Military will no doubt be my primary carry knife
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

Thanks David :)

What do you like about the Yojimbo? And have you used both PM2 and the military, and if so, why do you use the military aside from having large hands? I have long fingers (I am tall and slim-ish, 6'4"), the PM2 fits my hands ok so I wouldn't change to a military purely for the handle size. But I did agonise between the military and PM2. What made me choose the PM2 was the reviews on the locking mechanism, and that the PM2 with shorter handle would be easier to fit into a pocket. But I actually prefer the aesthetics of the milatary compared to PM2

Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

AndrewM wrote:Thanks David :)

What do you like about the Yojimbo? And have you used both PM2 and the military, and if so, why do you use the military aside from having large hands? I have long fingers (I am tall and slim-ish, 6'4"), the PM2 fits my hands ok so I wouldn't change to a military purely for the handle size. But I did agonise between the military and PM2. What made me choose the PM2 was the reviews on the locking mechanism, and that the PM2 with shorter handle would be easier to fit into a pocket. But I actually prefer the aesthetics of the milatary compared to PM2

The Yojimbo 2 has one of my favorite handle/grip/ergonomic designs of any knife ever made. If they ever put another blade style in the same handle, like a Manix 2 blade, I would probably never carry another knife unless I needed a longer blade. I also love wharnie blades for their utility uses. It isn't the best slicer with the thick hollow grind blade but it gets the job done. I wish they'd make it in FFG.

I have owned I think 3 Para 2's now and still own one. For a long time it was my favorite knife. It wouldn't take much tweaking to the handle to make it more comfortable for wider hands and then I would struggle too. What eventually pulled me away from that knife was the Manix 2, because the handle is just a bit more accommodating behind the choil, and I like the blade shape of the Manix more than the Para (I like the tip to be low/negative blade angle).

The irony with me and the Military is how I really didn't like it at first but have grown to love it through use. Hand size is part of it for sure, but a bigger part is ergonomics overall. Knives like the Para/Manix 2's are great but I sort of got tired of feeling like my hand was forced into one grip orientation or another, because most knives that have a 50/50 choil are going to feel better to you either on the choil or behind it. With those two knives I just happen to like both grips on the Manix more than the Para. With the Military I don't feel like the handle was designed with a specific grip in mind, it feels neutral to me and just as comfortable in either grip. By comparison, a Para 2 feels to me like gripping behind the choil was the second option (as it was with the Para 1 which was definitely designed with choil grip in mind). Beyond all that the knife is almost freakishly light for its size, it's tough as nails, it opens and closes easily with or without gloves on, the blade has a nice belly while still keeping the tip low (negative blade angle), and it doesn't hurt that it comes in all the best steel/scale combos. And like you said, it just looks badass. At this point with the recent changes they made to it, I think the only fault I can give it is lack of clip positions, but I also like that it doesn't have all those empty clip holes too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TALON52

Post by TALON52 »

I started collecting spidies about six weeks ago, and now have 18 with another on the way.
USMC Disabled Veteran 69/73 Semper Fi
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm a similar build as you and I own these knives, so I thought I'd share some insights.

Both are great knives. I've EDC'd both models at least a few years.

Military: Hands down the best ergonomics, blade shape and grind of ANY folding knife I've ever used. Incredibly light for how big it is. Strength has never been found lacking. I love the relatively thin tip (Stronger than it looks). The blade length can be overkill at times (Opening mail, slicing tape on a box with the tip, etc) but often times the length comes in handy (Cutting through 5 layers of cardboard at once, halving apples & cantaloupes, slicing open loose plastic packaging). Tip down only clip is a drag, I usually have to purchase an after market mod to get my Military tip up, which adds expense and hassle.

Paramilitary 2: Compared to the Military I prefer the compression lock to the liner lock. Fits in the pocket a little better, and the 4 way clip is a huge plus for me since I will take RH tip up carry 100% of the time its available. The shorter blade allows for better tip control. If I'm cutting the tape on a pallet full of boxes I'd rather use the Para for easier tip manipulation. However sometimes the blade is just a bit shorter than I'd want. The forward index finger choil is so much better on the Para 2 than the Millie, the shape is more refined and accommodating. Back behind hte index choil, the rest of the handle is just large enough to get a 4 finger grip and be pretty comfortable. The Para 1 was too small to four finger grip behind the choil, had to sand the handle down. Either way, no Para has ever been as comfortable behind the index choil as the Military is in the same grip.

Basically Para's strengths are the 4 way clip, better choil, better tip control and easier to pocket. Military is more comfortable and the extra blade length is useful for me.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Vivi wrote:

I'm a similar build as you and I own these knives, so I thought I'd share some insights.

Both are great knives. I've EDC'd both models at least a few years.

Military: Hands down the best ergonomics, blade shape and grind of ANY folding knife I've ever used. Incredibly light for how big it is. Strength has never been found lacking. I love the relatively thin tip (Stronger than it looks). The blade length can be overkill at times (Opening mail, slicing tape on a box with the tip, etc) but often times the length comes in handy (Cutting through 5 layers of cardboard at once, halving apples & cantaloupes, slicing open loose plastic packaging). Tip down only clip is a drag, I usually have to purchase an after market mod to get my Military tip up, which adds expense and hassle.

Paramilitary 2: Compared to the Military I prefer the compression lock to the liner lock. Fits in the pocket a little better, and the 4 way clip is a huge plus for me since I will take RH tip up carry 100% of the time its available. The shorter blade allows for better tip control. If I'm cutting the tape on a pallet full of boxes I'd rather use the Para for easier tip manipulation. However sometimes the blade is just a bit shorter than I'd want. The forward index finger choil is so much better on the Para 2 than the Millie, the shape is more refined and accommodating. Back behind hte index choil, the rest of the handle is just large enough to get a 4 finger grip and be pretty comfortable. The Para 1 was too small to four finger grip behind the choil, had to sand the handle down. Either way, no Para has ever been as comfortable behind the index choil as the Military is in the same grip.

Basically Para's strengths are the 4 way clip, better choil, better tip control and easier to pocket. Military is more comfortable and the extra blade length is useful for me.
Hey Vivi, I agree pretty much exactly with your comparison between the Military and the PM2. :)

The only point on which I differ is that I actually like the tip-down clip on a large knife like the Military. ;)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

I have 6 at the moment. I only keep knives I use and a couple of backups. 2 Manix 2 s110v g10 and 2 lws. Pac salt and a Salt 1.
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Five. UKPK, Endura, Delica, Positron and Mamba. Quite an interesting variety.
Hopefully more on the way!
:spyder: Turtles can have knives too, right? :spyder:
Aus-8 Delica 1 ATS-55 Endura UK Penknife
Positron Mamba Blurple PM2
BTG

Post by BTG »

Well the Deacon made me feel a little better, ive been collecting about 3 years...went exclusively Spyderco about the time I joined the forum, which will be two years in January...and I'm at 242 Spydies...with about 6 still out on preorder...slowing down now that I have pretty much all that I want, although slowing down is relative..115 in 2015, and only 47 so far this year...because Sal and crew are bringing out new " WANTS" at a pretty good clip...and I'm a sucker for anything sprint or exclusive.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Holy cow those are some big numbers! I have 5

PM2
Pacific Salt SE
Matriach waved SE
Delica
Persistence

I want to add a Manix (LW or XL), MIlitary, or a Native in S110v shortly...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

See? I keep telling my friends that 30 knives isn't that many. People never believe me. ;)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Exactly 100 Spyderco folders and 5 fixies according to my spreadsheet ......
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

2 in my "collection" (Endura and Delica in blue jigged bone and blue titanium)

About 16(?) in my "rotation" (Enduras, Delicas, Matriarchs, Matriarch IIs, a Salt, and a Centofante.)
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)