All this "blurple" nonsense..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

All this "blurple" nonsense..

Post by Evil D »

It's clearly indigo :rolleyes:

I did notice this unusual little spot on the back of the blade...not sure if that's a residue of some sort or actually part of the grind finish. It wouldn't wipe off with my shirt but I'll see if I can buff it out with some compound.

Otherwise, I have to say this is easily among the best fit and finish Spyderco knives I've ever handled. The thing is just flawless. The lock up and pivot action are absolutely perfect, it's literally the first knife I've ever received that I don't feel the need to adjust or grease the pivot. It locks up like a bank vault and the blade swings free like a pendulum. This recent CQI really pushed the Military into the next level (though at the same time I do miss the domed pivot head).

I'm torn on the color though. There's no doubt about it, I bought this one for the steel. It almost feels like I had it coming, I've said in the past "put ________ steel in this knife and I'll buy it with any color scale". I don't hate the indigo but I'd rather it was a more flat shade than this, it's a little more vibrant than I like most of my knives but it's growing on me. It'll probably blend in nicely with my work pants which isn't bad.

On another note, does anyone know off hand if any of the reputable scale makers have started making scales with the CQI changes yet?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Re: All this "blurple" nonsense..

Post by Ankerson »

I like the color personally. :)

It only really gets bright when outside in the sun, other tan that it's actually pretty dark, comparing it to my Black G10 Military.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I agree with indigo but blurple has really caught on. It could become a signature color for Spyderco. :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

It is kinda bright D but I'm actually starting to get use to it. Your right on the money with the CQI too, the last few Militarys I've received have been perfect, 52100 like it so much I had to grab a couple, the KW's exclusive 204P and S110V all perfect, for a while there I thought I was just getting lucky but I've come to realize that moving forward it will probably be the rare piece that shows up not 100%. Sure doesn't make it any easier to pass on some these. :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
FreelanceForty

Post by FreelanceForty »

God that blur on the blade finish would really bother me and I would definitely return it. It looks like some machine rubbed on the blade at the wrong spot. I doubt a buffing compound is gonna take that away and even if it does, it's not gonna have a even satin finish.

When I am buying a knife that costs $100+, I expect near perfect fit and finish. I have bought several knives and returned them because of such imperfections. Now when I am buying a knife on Amazon, I just order two or three of the same knives, choose the best one and return the others. Usually Spydercos are really good with fit and finish, especially on the blade. Most of them don't have a single scratch on them. The FRN handles can have somewhat inconsistent finish on the edges but they don't bother me too much.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

I LOVE LOVE this Millie....can you think of ANY other knife that has 4" of S110V for this price??? Bang for buck, this thing can't be beat. I have two and sometimes carry two. LOL...

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum freelanceforty.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

You can switch handles with the Peel ply carbon fiber :D
Just sayin. I like this unique G10 colour.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I quite like Indigo! My PM2 rocks and the Big M in S110V is irresistible!

Blemishes on a new knife really upset me! My 204P M came with a stain, like a small drop of oil on the green G10 face side. It annoys me no end and the fact that it cost $AU320 all up certainly doesn't comfort me, but it could have been worse! Ah, hahaha! You have to laugh cause I chipped the blade too on the very first serious cut! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I hope it all works out for you, particularly if it was a Birthday present. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I love my blurple Millie....The colour definitely has that 'brightness' you only get with indigo, but I prefer 'our' chosen name for the colour

Indigo sounds like it's got airs and graces- and drinks tea with it's little finger in the air.
Blurple sounds like someone who is happy to give you a big warm hug and help you move house. ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have not taken the plunge on any of the blurple models, but I'm a big fan of the CQI changes on the Military. Both the 52100 and 204P Millies I have came perfect.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

FreelanceForty wrote:God that blur on the blade finish would really bother me and I would definitely return it. It looks like some machine rubbed on the blade at the wrong spot. I doubt a buffing compound is gonna take that away and even if it does, it's not gonna have a even satin finish.

When I am buying a knife that costs $100+, I expect near perfect fit and finish. I have bought several knives and returned them because of such imperfections. Now when I am buying a knife on Amazon, I just order two or three of the same knives, choose the best one and return the others. Usually Spydercos are really good with fit and finish, especially on the blade. Most of them don't have a single scratch on them. The FRN handles can have somewhat inconsistent finish on the edges but they don't bother me too much.
Most of it did wipe off with a Q-tip and some polishing compound. What's left is the same on both sides of the blade. I don't know what the entire grinding process is like, whether there's a buffing step after the blade grind is complete but I suspect it has something to do with that process. Regardless I fully understand where you're coming from but this particular issue I was able to resolve well enough on my own so I think I'll be keeping it.
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I think the colour looks really good with jeans- a friendly sort of colour!
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am loving my indigo Para2 and hope the Yojimbo gets the same treatment.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I definitely like this color more than the Smurf blue that was used on the Yojimbo 1. It's a good point about it being a friendly color, that may make it an easier knife to carry around non knife people. I think in the long run though I'll probably end up with some micarta scales as soon as I find someone who's making the new CQI scales.
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the color, personally. Mine is very dark, even in the sun (though it is a bit brighter in the sun). In the house, unless my black is next to it, the Midnight Blue looks almost black. In the sun it is still pretty dark, like indigo or navy blue with a hint of purple. It is really an extremely dark royal blue. I am so happy with the color I may order another one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I want a S110V Para but the Indigo is holding me back. Don't like it.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Been carrying my blurple Mili the past few days. Love the knife and the scales.
Since all of my other folders are tip up, I decided to carry the Mili in my left pocket such that the blade rests against the seam. Still draw with my right hand. I got the idea from a guy on youtube doing this with the Mili. Anyone else carry like this? Besides safe proofing against opening in pocket it also has the benefit of reminding me how to draw the knife since I'm so used to tip up. The downside is that it's slower to draw since I'm reaching across my body.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Indigo! I like that. It ups the allure. I do wish, however, that S110V was not now associated with this color, as if in a series, like HAP40 and burnt orange. Buyers with completist impulses are sure to be tortured.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Guys are always posting pics of their color matching gear..I knew I recognized this color from something I handled everyday LOL

I will henceforth refer to this knife as the Oral B Military lol

~David