paramilitary 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Para3 videos from BladeHQ and GP Knives

Post by RamZar »

https://youtu.be/JUaAy-vX4JM
https://youtu.be/E1lh9Y_lePY
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
wrdwrght

Re: paramilitary 3

Post by wrdwrght »

Jazz wrote:Well, I doubt there'll be any sprints if no one buys the base model. What's wrong with S30V?
Not a thing wrong with S30V in my experience. I have and like it in my five Sage models, my early Chap, and one of my PM2s. So, with this abundance in mind, I was prepared to wait for a Para3 in a more unusual steel.

Having already exceeded my wife's annual threshold for new knives made my decision an easier one.

I don't think forumites not buying the base model will hinder the possibility of sprints. The base model is gonna sell big-time in the general market, I do believe.

But, I must say, the recent videos are making it harder for me to resist this base model... It certainly is not just a Sage5 with straightened spine, as I had imagined.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I wonder how well this will do in the general market. Don't get me wrong, I have one on pre-order and it will be my first new Spyderco in a long time, but this smaller knife is only $3.00 less than it's bigger brother. Do you think a "general-market" buyer would be more inclined to pay a very small amount more and get a bigger knife?

It's kind of a weird price point if you think about it. Surely, there is more than a $3 difference in materials? Granted, I don't know much of anything about the subject. But as a cost-conscious buyer, I would be comparing the two prices and what I'm getting for the price difference.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Zatx wrote:I wonder how well this will do in the general market. Don't get me wrong, I have one on pre-order and it will be my first new Spyderco in a long time, but this smaller knife is only $3.00 less than it's bigger brother. Do you think a "general-market" buyer would be more inclined to pay $3.00 more and get a bigger knife?

It's kind of a weird price point if you think about it. Surely, there is more than a $3 difference in materials.
It's all about the manufacturing cost, which I assume is nearly identical. A lot of people that want (or have) a PM2 don't want to carry a knife that large all the time, so maybe making the price difference negligible was part of the strategy as well. Though I agree that a larger gap could have made it more attractive... If they had been able to keep it just under $100 they may have had issues keeping up with demand
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

abbazaba wrote:
It's all about the manufacturing cost, which I assume is nearly identical. A lot of people that want (or have) a PM2 don't want to carry a knife that large all the time, so maybe making the price difference negligible was part of the strategy as well. Though I agree that a larger gap could have made it more attractive... If they had been able to keep it just under $100 they may have had issues keeping up with demand

Agreed.

I think a $99 price point would have been killer even if it wasn't the typical profit margin Spyderco wants to achieve per sale. The Para 3 would be the perfect gateway drug to new knife aficionados. They get their first taste of a high-quality knife in the Para 3 at $99, then crave the stock PM2 at $122 then their hooked, and they buy every new sprint run that hits the streets!

Judging by the comments in this thread from PM2 users, it doesn't look like that trend works in the opposite direction as most have said they are going to hold off for more exotic steels.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I really wanted one until I saw that it has a shorter cutting edge and longer handle than a Sage. I'll hold off on this one.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Got my shipping notice today from KC, eager to check it out.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It looks so good. Finally I'll have a Para to use. I have a like new Para 2 that I just can't seem to get all up on, but I'll keep it - you never know, and my Para 1 isn't used much only because of the weak detent. I sure hope I like this heavy duty knife in my perfect using size range.
- best wishes, Jazz.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

farnorthdan wrote:Got my shipping notice today from KC, eager to check it out.
Glad to hear. Very interested to see what you think! I decided to wait for instock rather than preorder this time... Hoping to find one sooner than later.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Has anyone who isn't a numbered collector's member gotten this into their hands yet? I've not gotten a shipping or "in-stock" notice from any of the websites I frequent or have a pre-order at.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Waiting for a black DLC version to be released...
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

wolfgaze wrote:Waiting for a black DLC version to be released...
Thought about it as well but fell in love with it at last years Spydie meet the first time I held it so I don't think I'll have the patience.. ;)
FDE

Post by FDE »

The Para 3 is THE knife I've been waiting for. I was very much involved in nagging for its creation, despite all the naysayers whom said it would just be another PM1.
In the videos above it appears the edges of the G10 have been rounded off more than current production PM2s have, which is also a change I've advocated. Excellent!
What I am a bit put off by is the lanyard hole size and location. It seems Spyderco was determined to keep the same size lanyard hole despite having much less room on the handle to place it. To me the clip mounting location has been moved to a suboptimal location to maintain a giant hole that most will never use. Another otherwise insignificant change is the Para 3 will be shipping right hand tip up clip position from the factory. Of course changing factory positioned clips on PM2s all these years hasn't been a big deal but they are recognizing that most of these blades are going to end up in that configuration. So why lower the clip mounting holes to maintain the lanyard tube? What I would propose is a standoff in place of the lanyard hole on that end of the handle. This allows users whom want a lanyard to tie around the standoff through the open construction of the Para, all while not adversely affecting the location of the clip. As it is the Para 3 appears to ride much higher in the pocket than I would like. I have a couple Casey Lynch deep carry clips on hand waiting for Para 3s to be released but by the looks of it they will only provide a traditional ride height on this model. Perhaps a DEEP DEEP carry version of the Lynch clip will be fashioned for the Para 3...?
That said, I know these will be landing in the hands of knife nuts worldwide very soon so I'd like to submit my picture request for; a Para 3 with Lynch deep carry clip installed. Thanx much! I look forward to hearing first impressions!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I received an email this morning from GP Knives stating that my order should ship today. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

In stock at Knives Plus. 21 available. Go get em!
Last edited by Spydersense on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

Shipping notice from CS :D
On paper, this is my dream knife (with M390/S110V/204p of course ;) )...so freaking excited.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Just 9 left at Knives Plus
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

I just received mine from GPK. Wow! Completely exceeded my expectations. QC at its best, this baby is flawless! I will definately be placing a CL clip on her though.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln