paramilitary 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: paramilitary 3

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So it seems from Spyderco's social media that the knife is called Para 3. Not Paramilitary 3. Interesting!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Evil D wrote: And that pic pretty much sums up why I have no interest in this knife. The butt end of the handle, the Para 3 has that point right where your pinky will be
Yes same here, the PM2 fits me with not much room to spare, so this one is a no-go.
Like the Sage, gripped without using the choil will feel strange.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Liquid Cobra wrote:So it seems from Spyderco's social media that the knife is called Para 3. Not Paramilitary 3. Interesting!
I'm a huge fan of that. Everybody calls it the PM2 or Para 2 anyways. This just standardizes it, and lets us get away from the High-Speed-Low-Drag-Queen Style Tactical name. And at 3", there's no longer much of anything "military" about it.

And this is an Instabuy. The PM2 was great, but too big for my life and my hands. A beefy Delica sounds great.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Skaaphaas wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:
Evil D wrote: And that pic pretty much sums up why I have no interest in this knife. The butt end of the handle, the Para 3 has that point right where your pinky will be
Yes same here, the PM2 fits me with not much room to spare, so this one is a no-go.
Hopefully it isn't too cramped. I think that a choked up grip in choil could be awesome on this knife. The flat spine and more exaggerated thumb ramp combined with the tighter curves could give this a real "locked in" feel. I never liked the feel of my thumb on the spine of the Sage leaf blade despite loving it on the Manix.
Last edited by abbazaba on Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I like the knife's appearance a lot, though would love one without the choil. Can't wait to feel it in hand.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Skaaphaas wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:
When holding a Sage without using the choil I have a little room to spare on the back of the handle but not much (about 1/4"). I didn't really realize it until now but I get a similar result when I hold the PM2 w/o using the choil. There's about 3/8" to spare when using a comfortable grip. So I guess there's only one way to find out if the Para 3 will work for me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

NickShabazz wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:So it seems from Spyderco's social media that the knife is called Para 3. Not Paramilitary 3. Interesting!
I'm a huge fan of that. Everybody calls it the PM2 or Para 2 anyways. This just standardizes it, and lets us get away from the High-Speed-Low-Drag-Queen Style Tactical name. And at 3", there's no longer much of anything "military" about it.

And this is an Instabuy. The PM2 was great, but too big for my life and my hands. A beefy Delica sounds great.
Is it weird that when I read your response I could hear your accent in my head? Haha.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

I have small hands - so this knife should fit my hands just fine... That being said, I'm going to wait for the DLC version...
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

So, a Para 3 it is.

I'll hold off for a while, in hopes of a 52100, Maxamet, or some other sprint of less common steel that will set the P3 apart from my much loved and truly outstanding Sage5.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
NickShabazz wrote:

Is it weird that when I read your response I could hear your accent in my head? Haha.
Haha! I can hear him too! The other night I watched his video of taking the Sage 5 apart so his accent is fresh in my brain.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Odd place for the discussion of accents...?

But, wow, this Para 3 is going to be game over for a lot of knives out there!

Floating stop pin is nice. Assuming it's a stepped pivot, also?
Going back to Caly.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

So it'll be the P3 not the PM3.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

What's a floating stop pin exactly? Is it just a pin that can be pushed all the way through but is held in place by fitting tightly? Like the pins on handguns?
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Mr Danger wrote:What's a floating stop pin exactly? Is it just a pin that can be pushed all the way through but is held in place by fitting tightly? Like the pins on handguns?
Stepped means that the part inside scale is lightly larger than the pin going through the scale so it can only travel so far.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

farnorthdan wrote:
Mr Danger wrote:What's a floating stop pin exactly? Is it just a pin that can be pushed all the way through but is held in place by fitting tightly? Like the pins on handguns?
Stepped means that the part inside scale is lightly larger than the pin going through the scale so it can only travel so far.
Got it. Thanks.
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

It's sandwiched between the liners, not threaded or screwed in. Usually not press-fit, either.
Going back to Caly.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

It looks like the handles are sculpted a bit, rounded over on the edges.
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

Up for pre-order at GPK! Whooo!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I'm waiting for a different steel. Sprint or exclusive shouldn't be far off. Super blue?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SF Native wrote:I'm waiting for a different steel. Sprint or exclusive shouldn't be far off. Super blue?
Never say never with Spyderco but I'd say the chances of a super blue para 3 is almost nil.

@liquid_cobra