Boss tipped my domino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ArmaliteKnight

Boss tipped my domino

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

So I let my boss see my domino today and as you would guess he dropped it on the ground and chipped the tip such a tiny amount. Very minor.
So aside from feeling as sick to my stomach that this happened, is there anything I can do on my sharpmaker to restore it to its former glory?
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
SG89

Re: Boss tipped my domino

Post by SG89 »

Do you have the diamond rods? Sorry that happened to you. I don't let other people handle my knives because I am scared of that exact scenario you described.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

I only have the rods that came with it. Brown ones and white ones.
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
TraumaRN904

Post by TraumaRN904 »

You know Spydergirl88, Im', kind of torn about that sort of scenario. Generally speaking I don't let others handle my knives either. I figure that if they don't have their own knife they probably don't know how to handle one safely. Almost invariably I at least get asked "how do you close this thing" when they are handing it back. Usually I offer to cut whatever they wanted cut for them rather than pass my blade to them and risk them cutting themselves, me, or dropping my knife and damaging the tip. All my knives are users, but I do what I can to not mistreat them.

ArmaliteKnight, I'd see about sending it back to Spyderco and seeing if they can grind the tip anew. I'm sure they could do it for a reasonable fee.
Gayle Bradley 1 (PE) CPM-M4
PM2 (Blurple) (PE) CPM S110V
Pacific Salt (SE) H1
Tasman Salt (SE) H1
Ulize (PE) VG10
Pingo (Black/Orange)(PE) N690Co
G-10 Dragonfly2 (PE) VG10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it's really a tiny amount, just deal with it and it will work itself out through use and further sharpenings. There's no point in removing a bunch of metal reprofiling the edge just to remove a superficial chip. Put it to good use, find a reason to dull the edge, sharpen it, repeat, and it'll be gone before you know it. Just be careful not to use the corners on the Sharpmaker or you may round the tip off further and make the problem worse, stick to the flats.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Can you post a pic?
Spydergirl88
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A pic could help us help you. You can always grind the spine down a little to fix it. Lots of people ask me to sharpen their knives for them and they often have damaged tips and I have reground quite a few spines to bring a tip back. I agree with the other posters though, if it is minor then just let it work itself out through sharpening.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Can you post a pic?
Every pic I try and post my phone says the file is too big
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

ArmaliteKnight wrote:So I let my boss see my domino today and as you would guess he dropped it on the ground and chipped the tip such a tiny amount. Very minor.
So aside from feeling as sick to my stomach that this happened, is there anything I can do on my sharpmaker to restore it to its former glory?
Like Granma said "You look with your eyes- not with your hands"

Sorry to hear either way ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

Pics
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I was picturing a lot worse in my mind. I would probably just leave it alone then. Still sucks though. Sorry.
Spydergirl88
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yea, I wouldn't worry too much about that one, like D said, just keep using and sharpening as normal, shouldn't take too long to work its self out.
Last edited by farnorthdan on Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

Yeah like I said it's a small chip, it's kinda one of those things that if you don't know what to look for you might not even see it.
It's like getting a small ding in your new car, only you know it's there and it wasn't like that before.
When he dropped it I was heart broken :(
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
death-to-yancey

Post by death-to-yancey »

Oh man, that double sucks since it was your boss. You couldn't even let him have it to release any of the frustration lol. Luckily it's not bad at all, so that's good. But, I feel your pain, it always sucks when our things get damaged, no matter how small, and especially when someone else does it.
Thanks to all members, old and new.

-George
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

File a report with your HR Dept
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

twinboysdad wrote:File a report with your HR Dept

Exactly! Lol
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I dropped my ZDP Manbug closed about a week after I got it and it bounced, opened and put a chip a little larger than yours in the tip.

After I stopped crying, I stropped the little burr away and left it at that. It wasn't easy to do, but I left it alone and used it. A bit later I set the bevel a little under 30deg and six months and two light sharpenings later, the tip is like new!

If I had dropped your knife I would buy you a new one and when you had it in your hand I'd take the one I damaged. :o
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Here's one of my son's he dropped on the hardwood floor, guess which end it landed on :D

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

RIP Nilakka
Spydergirl88
vivi

Post by vivi »

That's pretty minor. Like others suggested, I'd just use it and let the tip come back through repeated sharpenings.

Or if it bothers you that much you could send it to Spyderco, but for something that minor I wouldn't.

What I'd do is grab a sheet of low grit sandpaper and wear down the spine of the blade just above the tip. Grind that down a bit until a new tip is formed. Pretty much good as new once you polish it back up. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.