Full serration or combo grind?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cogito

Full serration or combo grind?

Post by Cogito »

Any thoughts? I'm about to order a Native 5 FRN in full black. However, I don't know what type of blade to get. I love the way the full serrated looks, but I'm not sure how practical it is. Also, I'm a little intimidated about sharpening a fully serrated knife. I do have a sharpmaker. Your advice is appreciated!

Additional info: I do not yet own a fully serrated knife or a native 5 in any version.
Last edited by Cogito on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharp Guy

Re: Full serration or combo grind?

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think it's a personal preference thing. I don't have much desire to have a combo edge myself. I want either a plain edge or full serrations. I didn't think I needed any serrations until I found a deal on a SE Salt 1. After using it for the first time I have a new appreciation for serrated blades.

The Native LWs are excellent. I have only PE Natives at this point but I would think a SE would be great too.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Go big or go home. I want it all toothy. An exception would be something like the Captain, if we could get that knife serrated on the recurve and plain edge on the tip I'd be all over it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Full serrated is very practical. I mostly carry serrated and very rarely run into a task it isn't suited for. It takes a small investment to get set up to sharpen it but it isn't hard to sharpen. It also functions better when dull than a plain edge blade.

Native 5 LW SE looks like a fierce EDC blade. I carried SE Natives for years, never let me down.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Looks like I'm going fully serrated! Thank you, gents.
RunnersLunge

Post by RunnersLunge »

Full serated or full plain edge. I have zero personal interest in a combo edge.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Full plain edge or full serrations not half and half especially on a shortish blade
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

gingerninja wrote:Full plain edge or full serrations not half and half especially on a shortish blade
Agree...

I like the plain edges too much for EDC to swap them for serrated, but on some days it is refreshing to carry a SE.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Full serration or none at all- never wimp out when it comes to the Spyderedge!
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Meh, I guess I'll be the voice of dissent and the champion of an unpopular grind. First of all, I like fully serrated knives. I use several of the fully serrated salts on a daily basis and I appreciate their functionality. That said, if Spyderco made a combo edge knife in a steel with good pe edge retention then I would probably use that instead of my fully serrated salts.

The thing with serrations is, you really don't need many for them to do their job. I use them all the time for cutting rope, line, gill cutting large fish, etc and I could accomplish all of these tasks with just a few serrations back by the heel. That also leaves me with an inch or two of very useful pe in the front half. From a pure use standpoint, I can get more versatility out of a combo edge than I can a fully serrated knife in that work environment.

Combo edge knives are relatively unpopular in the knife world and most people will give function based reasons why they prefer full pe or full se to a combo edge. The most common one is "A combo edge doesn't offer enough of either edge to be useful". That's a response that I don't agree with but it has become one of the more automatic answers to the question "why don't you like combo edges?".

I have a theory about this...may not be correct but its my guess. I think that over the last few decades, we have seen many or even most of the cheap gas station knives incorporate a combo edge blade. To the point that a combo edge has almost become synonymous with junk. I can guarantee you that some of the guys who don't like combo edges for "functional" reasons also just find them cheap or cheesy looking. I think its important to consider where that idea came from and I think the answer is the one I stated above.

Now, I'm not trying to tell people that have functional reasons for not liking ce knives that their reasons are not legitimate. ****, I have some of the same reservations about them. I'm just saying that I think the aversion to combo edge knives amongst knife afis is based on more than just functionality or the lack thereof. There are many times and many jobs where a combo edge is the best tool available. I just don't want to allow fashion or psychological bias to prevent me from using the best tool in those scenarios. End rant. :D

To the op. My best advice to you is take a real look at the work you will be doing with your knife. If (like me) you need some serrations at times but feel that the majority of your work will be performed more easily with a plain edge then I would suggest you go with a combo edge. Just because they aren't popular doesn't mean they aren't the right tool for certain work. If you feel that you can accomplish all your cutting chores just as easily with se without the need for a plain edge then by all means go with fully serrated. They certainly have their place too!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Always full serrations or no serrations. Sharpening the knife is pretty easy too. 3 passes on the ground side and then one on the flat side. My SE native 5 has served me well over the past few months I've had it. I also usually carry a PE and SE knife at all times if i can.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My problem with CE is they put the serrations in a spot that gets a lot of use on PE blades. When you carve a stick, are you using the tip? No, you're using the heel closer to your hand where you have the most leverage.

I've been saying for years I'd like to try out a CE like this, but it needs to be on a good size blade to have enough of each edge type.
~David
TraumaRN904

Post by TraumaRN904 »

I've felt the same way Evil D.

Personally I'm an either/or kind of guy. For EDC and camp chores/field work I prefer a PE blade. When I'm around the water I prefer to have an SE blade with me. Mission drives gear. Don't get me wrong... If I was out in the field and all I had was a SE blade I'm sure I could make it work just fine. I just don't prefer it. Sharpening isn't an issue in this decision/opinion. Sharpening SE with a Sharpmaker is really pretty easy.
Gayle Bradley 1 (PE) CPM-M4
PM2 (Blurple) (PE) CPM S110V
Pacific Salt (SE) H1
Tasman Salt (SE) H1
Ulize (PE) VG10
Pingo (Black/Orange)(PE) N690Co
G-10 Dragonfly2 (PE) VG10
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

When it comes to serrations, my preferred pattern is more of a 2/3 se. Something like this.
SP-C41PSBK.jpg
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I am a fan of CE knives as they fit my needs depending on the situation(as Gringo put it above), I have used a CE Millie in the yard for years and it is perfect for everything I use it for. I also used a CE Delica exclusively while building a 900 sq foot stone patio at my old house. Just to see if it would do the job. Everything from sharpening pencils, cutting adhesive tubes, opening mortar bags and more. Never needed another knife on that 3 month project (all done by hand). That short SE section made a big difference.

That pattern is the same as the native CE pattern. To each his own, some like them, most don't but once you find out what works for you go with it and don't look back. Also sometimes I don't want to carry two knives. it is a compromise for sure but sometimes compromise is the best solution.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I'm not a fan of CE knives, especially on shorter blades. When blade length is around 3" I want it to be one or the other. 1.5" of plain edge or serrations seems like a waste.

Longer blades can pull off CE, but I still am not a fan. I had too many cheap Army Surplus Store knives in CE back in the '90s, and I've avoided them since.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:Go big or go home. I want it all toothy. An exception would be something like the Captain, if we could get that knife serrated on the recurve and plain edge on the tip I'd be all over it.
I agree on every aspect you mentioned EVIL>> And yes the C-111 Captain model is one of the very few that I would find a combo edge arrangement to be advantageous. I'm sure there are a few others but they just don't come to mind readily. Yeah a Captain model with the inner-arch part full Spyderedged while you leave the rounded, pendulum end a razor sharp PE is something I truly have coveted for a very long time.

Back to what the new Brother asked us in regards to either full serrations or combo edge? Full Spyderedged serrations are the crème-de-le-crème of rough cutting jobs where plain edges just aren't as efficient as you would like to see them. And all three edge variants truly do have their place.

I've been using either a fully serrated Hawkbill or just a full sized Spyderedged folder like my dearly loved stainless RESCUE model as a companion blade to which ever happens to be my main EDC ( everyday carry knife) at the time and currently it's been rotating between my M390 Military model and my C-60 Ayoob>> both of which are PE gems.

But even combo edges are advantageous to use on certain jobs but they are rarely more useful than a full Spyderedge or a full plain edge. Once the new Brother gets his first full Spyderedge blade he'll very quickly understand what we're saying. And the Native 5 is an excellent choice to start out using a full Spyderedge>> because it is a pitbull of a folder in SE I can assure you all.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Surfingringo wrote:Meh, I guess I'll be the voice of dissent and the champion of an unpopular grind. First of all, I like fully serrated knives. I use several of the fully serrated salts on a daily basis and I appreciate their functionality. That said, if Spyderco made a combo edge knife in a steel with good pe edge retention then I would probably use that instead of my fully serrated salts.

The thing with serrations is, you really don't need many for them to do their job. I use them all the time for cutting rope, line, gill cutting large fish, etc and I could accomplish all of these tasks with just a few serrations back by the heel. That also leaves me with an inch or two of very useful pe in the front half. From a pure use standpoint, I can get more versatility out of a combo edge than I can a fully serrated knife in that work environment.

Combo edge knives are relatively unpopular in the knife world and most people will give function based reasons why they prefer full pe or full se to a combo edge. The most common one is "A combo edge doesn't offer enough of either edge to be useful". That's a response that I don't agree with but it has become one of the more automatic answers to the question "why don't you like combo edges?".

I have a theory about this...may not be correct but its my guess. I think that over the last few decades, we have seen many or even most of the cheap gas station knives incorporate a combo edge blade. To the point that a combo edge has almost become synonymous with junk. I can guarantee you that some of the guys who don't like combo edges for "functional" reasons also just find them cheap or cheesy looking. I think its important to consider where that idea came from and I think the answer is the one I stated above.

Now, I'm not trying to tell people that have functional reasons for not liking ce knives that their reasons are not legitimate. ****, I have some of the same reservations about them. I'm just saying that I think the aversion to combo edge knives amongst knife afis is based on more than just functionality or the lack thereof. There are many times and many jobs where a combo edge is the best tool available. I just don't want to allow fashion or psychological bias to prevent me from using the best tool in those scenarios. End rant. :D

To the op. My best advice to you is take a real look at the work you will be doing with your knife. If (like me) you need some serrations at times but feel that the majority of your work will be performed more easily with a plain edge then I would suggest you go with a combo edge. Just because they aren't popular doesn't mean they aren't the right tool for certain work. If you feel that you can accomplish all your cutting chores just as easily with se without the need for a plain edge then by all means go with fully serrated. They certainly have their place too!
I like your style, Dude.

Truthfully, the few high speed, low drag operator types I have had the pleasure to meet, usually carry CE knives. They are not knife snobs and just grab a tool with the most features. They **** sure aren't carry a SE and PE! I am back to CE and find the Native LW about perfect since you get FFG PE vs a D4/E4
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:Meh, I guess I'll be the voice of dissent and the champion of an unpopular grind. First of all, I like fully serrated knives. I use several of the fully serrated salts on a daily basis and I appreciate their functionality. That said, if Spyderco made a combo edge knife in a steel with good pe edge retention then I would probably use that instead of my fully serrated salts.

I have a theory about this...may not be correct but its my guess. I think that over the last few decades, we have seen many or even most of the cheap gas station knives incorporate a combo edge blade. To the point that a combo edge has almost become synonymous with junk.
Well SURF I've re-read your well thought out post a second and third time and I've got to say that in many ways you've more or less stolen my thunder :o But it's all good because you've really brought out some points that a lot of people either take for granted or just don't consider at all. One of my very first EDC Spyders was one of the first Japan made RENEGADE models>> I had two of them that I EDCed >> one was PE and the other was you guessed it >> a combo edge. I found myself using the combo edge more and more.

Now I have come to a conclusion about combo edges>>and that is I firmly believe at least for my personal uses that a combo edge only works for me on a full sized folder with a blade 3 & 3/4 inches or longer. I've always wondered how cool a C-60 Ayoob would be with a combo edge for instance. If I ever get a beater of that model I'll have one of those custom guys do that. But I was constantly using that combo edged RENEGADE for jobs when I was working in the wetlands and that one job I had on a lake.

But there are cutting jobs that I personally encounter where only a full Spyderedged blade will do the job enough to satisfy me. Like I said in an earlier post on this thread>> all three edge types truly do have their place. And your comments about many of the dollar store and/or RIP=Mart specials seem to sport a combo edge more than any other type are good observations and I have no idea why that is either :confused: . But again I think combo edges are much better on larger sized folders or fixed blades 5 inches or longer>> just my opinion for what it's worth.

But with all the fishing and other activities that I know you engage in I can't for the life of me see how you could do without a full Spyderedged blade for a lot of your cutting jobs. And I do hope at some point Spyderco does start to check out more different types of serration patterns. Because I've found that not all of them are created equal by any means either. Good Stuff SURF and great points you made!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:
Truthfully, the few high speed, low drag operator types I have had the pleasure to meet, usually carry CE knives. They are not knife snobs and just grab a tool with the most features. They **** sure aren't carry a SE and PE! I am back to CE and find the Native LW about perfect since you get FFG PE vs a D4/E4

My best friend is not a knife nut but he always carries a knife. To him it's a multi tool and it'll get used for whatever it can be applied to, whether it's scraping a gasket off an engine part or tightening a screw or spreading peanut butter. He swears by CE because no matter what brutal job he does with the PE and wrecks the crap out of that edge, the serrations will still cut even if you're white knuckle sawing through it.

While I can't deny there's logic in this, I also have a proper scraper in my tool box and I carry a multi tool if I need to tighten a screw and don't feel like reaching for a screwdriver. I also think these "fix it with a hammer" types tend to spend far less for their knives since they know they'll just abuse them and throw them away or break them or lose them anyway.
~David