Civilian. Why..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LRR

Civilian. Why..

Post by LRR »

What does one use models like the civilian for?
TraumaRN904

Re: Civilian. Why..

Post by TraumaRN904 »

Cutting people very deeply.
Gayle Bradley 1 (PE) CPM-M4
PM2 (Blurple) (PE) CPM S110V
Pacific Salt (SE) H1
Tasman Salt (SE) H1
Ulize (PE) VG10
Pingo (Black/Orange)(PE) N690Co
G-10 Dragonfly2 (PE) VG10
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yep. Self defense.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mb1

Post by mb1 »

The story is listed in the catalog. It's a self defense knife that doesn't require intensive training to be effective.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Why? Because this is 'Merica, that's why.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

1 It is a very handy self-defense knife.
2 The overall shape and look may be enough to drive away a potential assailant.
3 It is made of top quality materials and is a very unique design.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Online catalog description sums up both the "why" and the "why not" pretty well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
LRR

Post by LRR »

OK Gut hook. Interesting. It can inflict horrific cuts but not reach vital organs.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

LRR wrote:OK Gut hook. Interesting. It can inflict horrific cuts but not reach vital organs.
You get a good slash in on the torso with this knife and you won't need to hit an organ. Get that slash across the abdomen and you'll disembowel someone. Hit them in the face with it and they'll definitely stop attacking you.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Civilian knife runs on two planes of motion; not so good for thrusting but can be used as a controlling device such as a Kerambit.
The fine tip allows the user to pinpoint targets and "extract"; for example flexor tendons in arm, trach take (trachea) and hamstring tendons taking the vinegar out of your assailant.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Have the possibility of obtaining one of these at a pretty decent price. Will see it on Saturday to see if it is not a fake. If not, I'm taking it for sure.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I figure that if someone has a civilian and get attacked, anyone could defend themselves. If someone gets the blade up on the attacker and recoils or tries to move away, the civilian will make a nasty, deep pull cut. And the attacker will think twice about continuing the pursuit.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I use mine for opening my mail.

Because......REASONS :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

demoncase wrote:I use mine for opening my mail.

Haha! That's one badass letter opener!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Sharp Guy wrote:
demoncase wrote:I use mine for opening my mail.

Haha! That's one badass letter opener!
Well, I'm not likely to need it's 'designed in capabilities' for their intended purpose.....so, yeah- Eviscerating my mobile phone bill is about the size of it :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah the CIVI is not a blade for everyone that's for sure. Actually it's bit too big for my hands but I am borderline fanatical about the Matriarch model which is the Civilian's little Sister>> And I wish that they would make a utility version of the Matriach with a significantly thicker blade.

Unless you're a big Biker type, former football player or just a really big guy with a big hand I bet you also would like the Matriarch a bit better too. That's one rare case where I much prefer an FRN handle over the bigger G-10 handle.

That's one thing I love about Spyderco they have such a wide range of different models and different genres of knives that just about anyone can find a Spyder that they dearly adore. But again I would love a Utility Version of the Matriarch model with a thick blade that can be used in rough cutting jobs.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Civilian is probably the model that makes the least sense to me. I know the story behind it, but if you were suspicious of someone in your criminal organization and found a Civilian on him, what would you think?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zhyla wrote:The Civilian is probably the model that makes the least sense to me. I know the story behind it, but if you were suspicious of someone in your criminal organization and found a Civilian on him, what would you think?
True, it's probably not as useful for UC work as it originally was. But remember, it was in production for 12 years before it ever appeared in any Spyderco catalog.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zhyla wrote:The Civilian is probably the model that makes the least sense to me. I know the story behind it, but if you were suspicious of someone in your criminal organization and found a Civilian on him, what would you think?
Well, being a criminal organization, I would assume he plans to use it for criminal activities lol. Bad guys tend to do bad things and have the tools to do it with. Unless your criminal organization is non violent, like money laundering or something but crime and violence are pretty much synonymous.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It was prior to Janich popularizing the defensive wharnciffe. At the time the most aggressive cutters were hawkbills which tend to snag depending on the angle and what they hit. The huge reverse s blade was designed fo avoid these problems. Ultimately this model was designed for those with less blade training similar to the Matriarch which was the original A.R.K. for women in Africa. Defensive swipes cutting the most that gets in the way at any level of pressure.

It's easy to ask "why?" behind a keyboard but the response "who not?" Is bound to arrive eventually. As someone with some knife training and who knows people with far more none who have seen a Civilian have said anything but explicitives. Reach, performance, and aesthetics...all equally terrifying to anyone not holding it.
Evil D wrote:Well, being a criminal organization, I would assume he plans to use it for criminal activities lol. Bad guys tend to do bad things and have the tools to do it with. Unless your criminal organization is non violent, like money laundering or something but crime and violence are pretty much synonymous.
"Hey! We run a pyramid scheme but we aren't animals!" - A sneaky guy with scruples