Civilian. Why..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Studey

Re: Civilian. Why..

Post by Studey »

These are knives that are very interesting to put to someone with a training knife. They put a lot of pressure on the edge, particularly if you start to drag (pull cut).

They are definitely a one trick pony, but they do that one trick very, very well.

JD, the Matriarch 2 is substantially beefed up.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

For a deeper understanding of the Civilian, Matriarch, and the whole family, check out this article I wrote for Small Arms Review:

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display. ... icles=3091

Make sure to click on the images in the image gallery on the right for some cool historical photos.

Stay safe,

Mike
jdw

Post by jdw »

JD Spydo wrote:Yeah the CIVI is not a blade for everyone that's for sure. Actually it's bit too big for my hands but I am borderline fanatical about the Matriarch model which is the Civilian's little Sister>> And I wish that they would make a utility version of the Matriach with a significantly thicker blade.
Unless you're a big Biker type, former football player or just a really big guy with a big hand I bet you also would like the Matriarch a bit better too. That's one rare case where I much prefer an FRN handle over the bigger G-10 handle.

That's one thing I love about Spyderco they have such a wide range of different models and different genres of knives that just about anyone can find a Spyder that they dearly adore. But again I would love a Utility Version of the Matriarch model with a thick blade that can be used in rough cutting jobs.
This!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:
zhyla wrote:The Civilian is probably the model that makes the least sense to me. I know the story behind it, but if you were suspicious of someone in your criminal organization and found a Civilian on him, what would you think?
Well, being a criminal organization, I would assume he plans to use it for criminal activities lol. Bad guys tend to do bad things and have the tools to do it with. Unless your criminal organization is non violent, like money laundering or something but crime and violence are pretty much synonymous.
I have never been in a criminal organization but I have run with criminals( yep, I was quite the stupid youth) and nasty implements aren't viewed with suspicion as all.
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Michael Janich wrote:For a deeper understanding of the Civilian, Matriarch, and the whole family, check out this article I wrote for Small Arms Review:

Make sure to click on the images in the image gallery on the right for some cool historical photos.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you for this, really enjoyed the write-up.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Michael Janich wrote:For a deeper understanding of the Civilian, Matriarch, and the whole family, check out this article I wrote for Small Arms Review:

Stay safe,

Mike
Outstanding article and photographs, Mike! Thanks for sharing these!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
zhyla wrote:The Civilian is probably the model that makes the least sense to me. I know the story behind it, but if you were suspicious of someone in your criminal organization and found a Civilian on him, what would you think?
Well, being a criminal organization, I would assume he plans to use it for criminal activities lol. Bad guys tend to do bad things and have the tools to do it with. Unless your criminal organization is non violent, like money laundering or something but crime and violence are pretty much synonymous.
I have never been in a criminal organization but I have run with criminals( yep, I was quite the stupid youth) and nasty implements aren't viewed with suspicion as all.

I would think the bigger your shank is, the more street cred you have :cool:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:
chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I would think the bigger your shank is, the more street cred you have :cool:

That's about right. :D
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I meant that the knife was made for undercover agents, so if that became well known it's essentially a badge.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

zhyla wrote:I meant that the knife was made for undercover agents, so if that became well known it's essentially a badge.
Not at all. I knew a lot of criminals who carried guns issued to police personnel here.
TraumaRN904

Post by TraumaRN904 »

Your knife isn't a badge to folks any more than owning a a communist bloc - made full auto AK47 means you are a Soviet soldier. Besides they probably made it available for general sale as well for areas with no legal restrictions. It's a great personal defense knife.

It also is great for reaching up and hook cutting away trash like monofilament line fouled around your propeller shaft. I had a civilian for that kind of use in the past. I lost it though. It's in Davy Jones' Locker somewhere.
Gayle Bradley 1 (PE) CPM-M4
PM2 (Blurple) (PE) CPM S110V
Pacific Salt (SE) H1
Tasman Salt (SE) H1
Ulize (PE) VG10
Pingo (Black/Orange)(PE) N690Co
G-10 Dragonfly2 (PE) VG10
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

TraumaRN904 wrote:Your knife isn't a badge to folks any more than owning a a communist bloc - made full auto AK47 means you are a Soviet soldier. Besides they probably made it available for general sale as well for areas with no legal restrictions. It's a great personal defense knife.

It also is great for reaching up and hook cutting away trash like monofilament line fouled around your propeller shaft. I had a civilian for that kind of use in the past. I lost it though. It's in Davy Jones' Locker somewhere.
What you say is true, but it misses the point of zhyla's question:
zhyla wrote:If you were suspicious of someone in your criminal organization and found a Civilian on him, what would you think?
Now, perhaps those involved in real life organized crime are not quite as paranoid as they're made out to be in movies and on TV, but still, if you are a cop working undercover inside of one, and they already suspect that you might be less than 100% loyal, I'd say there's a least a chance that finding a knife designed specifically for a "government agency" on you might increase those suspicions.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TraumaRN904

Post by TraumaRN904 »

Your knife isn't a badge to folks any more than owning a a communist bloc - made full auto AK47 means you are a Soviet soldier. Besides they probably made it available for general sale as well for areas with no legal restrictions. It's a great personal defense knife.
Actually I thought it addressed his question quite succinctly.
Gayle Bradley 1 (PE) CPM-M4
PM2 (Blurple) (PE) CPM S110V
Pacific Salt (SE) H1
Tasman Salt (SE) H1
Ulize (PE) VG10
Pingo (Black/Orange)(PE) N690Co
G-10 Dragonfly2 (PE) VG10
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

surprised no one has said it yet.

why not?

Not really a knife I am interested in but I know the PE lil matriarch is a solid performer.
Studey

Post by Studey »

The Deacon wrote:
What you say is true, but it misses the point of zhyla's question:
zhyla wrote:If you were suspicious of someone in your criminal organization and found a Civilian on him, what would you think?
Now, perhaps those involved in real life organized crime are not quite as paranoid as they're made out to be in movies and on TV, but still, if you are a cop working undercover inside of one, and they already suspect that you might be less than 100% loyal, I'd say there's a least a chance that finding a knife designed specifically for a "government agency" on you might increase those suspicions.

All of this is assuming, however, that the knife is recognized as such, which I sincerely doubt it would be.

Even if it is, I think it's easy enough to pawn off as something you carry to intimidate marks or rivals, because it looks so freaking mean.

I think more would be made of the fact that "He's the guy with that wicked-azz knife," than "Wait, isn't that a cop knife?"
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

LRR wrote:What does one use models like the civilian for?
For the case in which one finds himself in need of a firearm but does not have one at hand. or one has run out of ammo and is reverting to secondary defense methods. :)
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What do you all suggest one does if the attacker is a violent criminal and is armed with a Civilian and you their target has something like an Endura or Delica or Pacific Salt, or Lady Bug on you...what should your most rational course of action be, God forbid if that were to ever happen, and their intent is to at the very least seriously injure you? Is it best to A Try to find any escape route and get away as fast as possible, B Call their bluff, whip out your own Spyderco and say "Oh, really?" or another option?
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Fighting a knife with a knife is more of a movie thing... in real life, ****. I'm vaguely reminded of a quote... something to the effect of "if you're down to bladed weapons, the situation has gone seriously sideways." anyone have the original quote? can't seem to find it...

Finding oneself in such a situation is likely the result of situational assessment / risk assessment failure, planning failure, and/or just bad luck.

"Best" would be to not end up in that situation at that level... one step down would be to de-escalate the encounter; hopefully one was not completely oblivious to the encounter escalating to that point, so one is not completely unprepared... few things in this world have to be life or death.

Next step down would be drawing one's primary firearm for immediate defensive use.

Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

There are no winners in a knife fight.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Skaaphaas wrote:There are no winners in a knife fight.
^^ THAT