Changing tastes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bugs

Re: Changing tastes

Post by Bugs »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Bugs wrote:So where can I find a Stretch or Delica in Hap40 other than hope one shows up in the BF Exchange?
Sooner State Knives shows the HAP40 Stretch in stock for $123.00.
Done. Thanks Sharp Guy.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Bugs wrote:So where can I find a Stretch or Delica in Hap40 other than hope one shows up in the BF Exchange?
Sooner State Knives shows the HAP40 Stretch in stock for $123.00.
Get one Bugs.
Just pulled the trigger. :D
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Sorry, browser crash causing double post :(
Last edited by anagarika on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris :spyder:
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I might be an anomaly that I like the resistance of a backlock, when the blade tang works against the lockface. I love the strong snap closing and the thwack when locking open. I practice my fingers so I can flick them.

Only axis, BBL or similar lock comes next.

Basically I don't like a lock that takes away the symmetry from the handle (liner, etc.) as in my mind theoritically it weakens the handle when being twisted, etc. in hard use. A compression lock without liner, having the pin only being hold by one side (again, in my mind) of liner that isn't being cut out. Similarly a frame lock / RIL. It's a bit better if the handle has scale that helps holding everything together, but still in my mind, one side is weaker. The only liner lock I still keep of my Spydies is GB1, no lock release cutout. :D

Sorry for the long rant, I just love backlock (and the modded version, Triad-lock).
I have plenty of them (backlock Spydies) and none has up/down play. Even if they do, understanding how they work, I can fix them using Steve Rice (STR over BF) method shown on his blogging site.

Bugs, you'll like the HAP40, and if you can find, get the FRN Stretch in ZDP or VG10. It's such a nice design. :cool:
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Unfortunately I have to say I'm with Cujobob.
With the exeption of a Navigator G10 Experimental and a Byrd Robin G10 all of my back locks have vertical play in them or devellopped it soon after medium use :(
But the last back lock I bought was around 2009, so maybe Spyderco solved the issue a bit.

Back then in my heavy Spyderco hoarding days I wondered if they shipped all the "bad" knives over here to Europe :eek:

However as I'm in no position to buy any of the new models I'm trying to live with a bit of play.

But in the end give me a good solid early linerlock/framelock any day of the week :p
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Surfingringo wrote:I feel the same way about backlocks. I enjoy having other knives with other locks but the backlock is probably my favorite for my users. I am comfortable with the operation, even with wet and bloody hands, and I have confidence in the lock.

If I were you, I would give the Stretch or Delica a try. They are too of my favorite designs. The Stretch is one I overlooked for a long time but I got one this year in hap40 and pretty much fell in love with the design. It constantly battles my pm2 for pocket time and often wins. I'm not a big fan of the heavy drop point so I modify mine to give them a more acute tip. I also mod my delicas to give them a straight spine like the old delicas. I like em stabby.

Great minds think alike I guess :cool:
Here the very first Spydie I ever bought back in 2004.
Been through **** and back and recently been modified.
Has about half a mm vert play when I put enough force on the blade.
But I like H1 and can live with it.

Sorry if hijacking :o

Bugs

Post by Bugs »

anagarika wrote:I might be an anomaly that I like the resistance of a backlock, when the blade tang works against the lockface. I love the strong snap closing and the thwack when locking open. I practice my fingers so I can flick them. Same here took a little practice but I can middle finger flick a Pac Salt.

Sorry for the long rant, I just love backlock (and the modded version, Triad-lock).
I have plenty of them (backlock Spydies) and none has up/down play. Even if they do, understanding how they work, I can fix them using Steve Rice (STR over BF) method shown on his blogging site. Do you have a link for this Steve Rice fix/adjustment?

Bugs, you'll like the HAP40, and if you can find, get the FRN Stretch in ZDP or VG10. It's such a nice design. :cool:
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

When gripping the blade out toward the tip, I can induce up/down blade play in all of the spyderco lockbacks except on the newly engineered models like the Native 5, Chapparal and Sage 4. Sometimes those have play, other times they're rock solid.
Does this small amount of play affect functionality? I don't think so.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Surfingringo wrote:The Stretch is one I overlooked for a long time but I got one this year in hap40 and pretty much fell in love with the design. It constantly battles my pm2 for pocket time and often wins. I'm not a big fan of the heavy drop point so I modify mine to give them a more acute tip.
I never liked the look of stretch. I owned original years ago for couple day. I really hate this hump on spine near the tip. Your mod is great. I can only wish that Spyderco would do the same.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

As requested, it requires disassembly and will definitely void warranty:
Liner lock:
https://youtu.be/lQ_alRnX324
Translated to lockback:
https://youtu.be/HeXhWAqwqCQ
His blog: http://strsbackyardknifeworks.blogspot.com
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Thanks Chris.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Cujobob wrote:Unfortunately, back locks just have too many issues with play and it drives me crazy. Also, I find liner locks and frame locks easier to maneuver, though I can appreciate a lock that keeps your fingers out of the way of the blade. Compression locks are a fantastic alternative, for that reason. I've been carrying a Caly3 SB as an EDC for a while at work and while I like a lot about it, the lock is the worst feature.
That's strange. I haven't noticed play in any of my backlocks. What kind of play do you experience?
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Ryno wrote:
Cujobob wrote:Unfortunately, back locks just have too many issues with play and it drives me crazy. Also, I find liner locks and frame locks easier to maneuver, though I can appreciate a lock that keeps your fingers out of the way of the blade. Compression locks are a fantastic alternative, for that reason. I've been carrying a Caly3 SB as an EDC for a while at work and while I like a lot about it, the lock is the worst feature.
That's strange. I haven't noticed play in any of my backlocks. What kind of play do you experience?
Up and down play and sometimes inconsistent lockup.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've recently noticed that I can get a little up and down wiggle out of a few of my back locks (1-Stretch, 1-Delica, 1-Dragonfly). All 3 of those look fairly new but were purchased used so who knows what the real history is. It's only a tiny bit of vertical wiggle that I can feel (not see) and I've never noticed it when actually using the knife so no big deal to me. All of my other back locks (15) are rock solid.

I enjoy having a wide variety of lock styles but I never would have guessed that I'd end up so many back locks. It just so happens that a lot of the models I like are back locks. They're easy to close with one hand and they're ambidextrous so what's not to like?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!