Nirvana RE-incarnated

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Frunkey

Nirvana RE-incarnated

Post by Frunkey »

Hello everyone,

At the risk of upsetting some people, I'm going to discuss my Nirvana.

Let's be clear, I absolutely LOVE the Nirvana. It was everything I wanted it to be and more. I have admired Peter Rassenti's work for some time, but can't afford his customs now. But the Nirvana was quite attainable. I always carry my knives and I liked it so much I made a YouTube Review of it:

https://youtu.be/Iwjwrwi-cYM

In my humble opinion, there are 2 major problems with the knife as it came from the factory:

1) The lock stick is both unrelenting and unforgivable. My knife STILL has problems after 3+months. This needs better lockup geometry AND a steel lockbar insert. I'm sorry, but it's true.

2) The blade finish causes the highly corrosion-resistant S90V to rust. My knife developed rust spots after just a few weeks of carry, and I knew it would only progress further.

In my searching, I found the BladeForums thread by MaxFactor on the Nirvana regrind (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... a-reground).

After seeing his picture, I was hooked :eek:

So, I sent my Nirvana to Razor Edge Knives (http://www.razoredgeknives.com) for a custom regrind of the blade and removal of the finish. I have made a YouTube review of the new blade and submit it for your review:

https://youtu.be/ERs2SqDjrcY

I want to present this to the community for open discussion, and perhaps thoughts from Sal about producing a knife like this in the future. Perhaps a Spyderco in-house integral design??

What I really want is to thank Spyderco for creating this awesome product which has allowed me to have all this fun! :spyder:

- Frank
farnorthdan

Re: Nirvana RE-incarnated

Post by farnorthdan »

I think that looks real good Frank, noticeably lighter blade now I'm sure. Probably one of the only things I don't like about mine is how heavy it feels at the blade. Mine also has a weak detent, still considering sending it in to have that adjusted if possible.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It's unfortunate but not unheard of that a new, complex model has teething problems. I'd be surprised if Spyderco isn't already working on addressing the corrosion and lock stick issues.
It sounds like it's also poorly balanced so maybe they will change the grind as well. I'd like to see an almost full height flat grind. That way you get the thinness and lightness of the flat grind with the aesthetic appeal of a saber grind - the contrast of the flat with the bevel.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

I can't believe that so many people here are cool with paying $400+ for a knife that doesn't arrive in perfect condition.

I was mad when my $50 Dog tag arrived as dull as a butter knife. I would be livid if that happened with a Nirvana.
Last edited by Cogito on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

That Nirvana is a beauty, Frank. I would agree with you, it's very surprising to see Spyderco go with such an unusual blade finish on such an expensive model, and I hope they limit its use in future releases. Never been a fan of beadblast and acid finish... Maybe I'd consider a Kiku Matsuda-style finish, but that's about it.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

I'm glad you're happy with the results you're achieving.

If it were me, I think I'd just return it to the seller if I dropped this much coin on a production knife and it had the lock stick that this model seems to have. Of course a latent issue like the blade rust is a different issue.

Yikes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, I'm with you on the regrind at least. If there's one thing besides the price that kept me from buying one, it's the grind. But, just some food for thought...

1. Lock stick aside, they can't put a steel lock insert into this knife because they can't get inside it to screw them in. I suppose they could have been screwed in from the outside by drilling holes through the outside of the lock bar, but that would have ruined the looks of the knife and there would be countless people complaining about that.

2. I don't see what the blade finish has to do with causing rust? Because it's stonewashed?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I gotta say, my lock stick was gone in maybe two weeks. All I did was clean the lock face of excess pivot lube, and that got rid of most of it. Then I kept some graphite on it until it broke in, and now it's perfectly fine and opens almost no differently than my Mantra.
Between the lock stick and the corrosion, I'd have said send it to W&R before the regrind but I don't think they'd be able to do much now. :p

I do agree with the idea that it would be better with a FFG. I personally like the stonewashed finish; at least it's not bead-blasted which would be even worse. Does anyone know if these are acid treated before the stonewash?
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd imagine fitting a steel lockbar insert to a one piece handle would probably be difficult, if not impossible. At least without ruining the clean look of the handle by having the screw heads on the outside.

As for the rest, I firmly believe that once you purchase something, it's yours to do with as you please. The results may, or may not, be pleasing to the eyes of others, but the only opinion that really matters is that of the owner. Personally, I'm a huge fan of full flat grinds so your mods work for me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Good call on the regrind! I definitely prefer your FFG over the original with the stone-washed/bead-blasted (?) finish.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Re: lockbar inserts on integrals

Jason Guthrie (custom maker and huge Spyderco fan from South Africa) has a very cool solution that might work in an integral.

Re: regrind

Beautiful
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Man, this is beautiful. Well done there Doc. If all the Nirvanas looked like that, I'd still have mine.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Sweet looking regrind. That blade looks like a slightly shorter Southfork blade now. I like it.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
napalmfriday

Post by napalmfriday »

Personally, I like the factory grind quite a lot and I've been very happy with the quality and performance of my Nirvana. For me, the grind (as is) sets it apart from the rest of the pack in yet another way.
With that said, the work that you had done looks phenomenal as well. Thanks for sharing your videos and thoughts man.
Frunkey

Post by Frunkey »

farnorthdan wrote:I think that looks real good Frank, noticeably lighter blade now I'm sure. Probably one of the only things I don't like about mine is how heavy it feels at the blade. Mine also has a weak detent, still considering sending it in to have that adjusted if possible.

I love the new feeling of the knife, much more EDC friendly. Mine had a strong detent at first, but I took it apart and reassembled and it was weaker. Check blade centering for detent adjustments.
Frunkey

Post by Frunkey »

ABX2011 wrote:It's unfortunate but not unheard of that a new, complex model has teething problems. I'd be surprised if Spyderco isn't already working on addressing the corrosion and lock stick issues.
It sounds like it's also poorly balanced so maybe they will change the grind as well. I'd like to see an almost full height flat grind. That way you get the thinness and lightness of the flat grind with the aesthetic appeal of a saber grind - the contrast of the flat with the bevel.

I know they have heard the community and will address this on their next models. My favorite thing about :spyder: is the CQI. This is not truly a FFG, but does still have the top swedge, check out the details in the video!
Frunkey

Post by Frunkey »

Cogito wrote:I can't believe that so many people here are cool with paying $400+ for a knife that doesn't arrive in perfect condition.

I was mad when my $50 Dog tag arrived as dull as a butter knife. I would be livid if that happened with a Nirvana.
I am upset, but not mad. I understand that this knife in particular is more of a proof of concept or technical showcase. That being said, there are certainly some areas for improvement. I'm happy top pay the price if :spyder: continues to improve their products as a result.
Frunkey

Post by Frunkey »

PaleMoon wrote:That Nirvana is a beauty, Frank. I would agree with you, it's very surprising to see Spyderco go with such an unusual blade finish on such an expensive model, and I hope they limit its use in future releases. Never been a fan of beadblast and acid finish... Maybe I'd consider a Kiku Matsuda-style finish, but that's about it.
Thanks! I can't stop staring into the grind lines :D Really happy with the satin finish on this one now too. They should never re-create this finish, ever.
Frunkey

Post by Frunkey »

Molle Ninja wrote:I'm glad you're happy with the results you're achieving.

If it were me, I think I'd just return it to the seller if I dropped this much coin on a production knife and it had the lock stick that this model seems to have. Of course a latent issue like the blade rust is a different issue.

Yikes.
Like I posted earlier, I'm happy to pay the price if :spyder: keeps improving their techniques. I want to present this knife in an open and honest way and show why I thought it needed improvements. But the lock geometry is so bad, I can see the titanium wearing away at the point of contact. It is just not perfectly executed, but for some reason, I adore the knife. It's almost like these flaws give it a character I can't deny. Like that girlfriend you know is bad for you but you keep going back anyway :cool:
Frunkey

Post by Frunkey »

Evil D wrote:Well, I'm with you on the regrind at least. If there's one thing besides the price that kept me from buying one, it's the grind. But, just some food for thought...

1. Lock stick aside, they can't put a steel lock insert into this knife because they can't get inside it to screw them in. I suppose they could have been screwed in from the outside by drilling holes through the outside of the lock bar, but that would have ruined the looks of the knife and there would be countless people complaining about that.

2. I don't see what the blade finish has to do with causing rust? Because it's stonewashed?
1) They ABSOLUTELY could have put a lockbar insert in this knife with no problem. I'll reference the CKF Tegral and Rike knives as examples of integrals with LBI's Even if it were screwed in from the outside, they should have done it. Surely, they knew the lockstick was an issue prior to production.

2) Blade finish was acid stonewash (I think..it was definitely NOT a simple stonewash). Acid removes the flat, hardened steel surface that you get with a mirror or satin finish, even a simple stonewash. This creates surface irregularities in which dirt/water/**** can get collected and cause rust even if you clean your blade. S90V shouldn't rust on me ever. I really take care of my blades, and clean and oil them well.