Nirvana RE-incarnated

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Frunkey

Re: Nirvana RE-incarnated

Post by Frunkey »

dplafoll wrote:I gotta say, my lock stick was gone in maybe two weeks. All I did was clean the lock face of excess pivot lube, and that got rid of most of it. Then I kept some graphite on it until it broke in, and now it's perfectly fine and opens almost no differently than my Mantra.
Between the lock stick and the corrosion, I'd have said send it to W&R before the regrind but I don't think they'd be able to do much now. :p

I do agree with the idea that it would be better with a FFG. I personally like the stonewashed finish; at least it's not bead-blasted which would be even worse. Does anyone know if these are acid treated before the stonewash?

My lockstick evolves. One day, it is gone, the next it's there. It has not been consistent and I still have to fight it some days. The lockbar face has even eroded a little. I think it is quite dependent on blade centering on this model. Those with the really bad lock stick may have had off-center blades...

Today, she is smooth as butter. We shall see about tomorrow... :rolleyes:
Frunkey

Post by Frunkey »

The Deacon wrote:I'd imagine fitting a steel lockbar insert to a one piece handle would probably be difficult, if not impossible. At least without ruining the clean look of the handle by having the screw heads on the outside.

As for the rest, I firmly believe that once you purchase something, it's yours to do with as you please. The results may, or may not, be pleasing to the eyes of others, but the only opinion that really matters is that of the owner. Personally, I'm a huge fan of full flat grinds so your mods work for me.
At this point, I think the minor aesthetic problems of a LBI would be superior to losing customers due to something as easy to remedy as lockstick problems. But, they wanted to stay true to the Rassenti design.

I am of the same mindset, and really enjoy when people add custom touches to standard items. Check out my discussion video on knife modification on my YouTube Channel!
Frunkey

Post by Frunkey »

NickShabazz wrote:Man, this is beautiful. Well done there Doc. If all the Nirvanas looked like that, I'd still have mine.
Thanks Nick!

If you are interested, I could send her to you for a few days. Maybe in a few weeks after the honeymoon is over :)
Frunkey

Post by Frunkey »

Brock O Lee wrote:Good call on the regrind! I definitely prefer your FFG over the original with the stone-washed/bead-blasted (?) finish.
Me too! Thanks!
Frunkey

Post by Frunkey »

napalmfriday wrote:Personally, I like the factory grind quite a lot and I've been very happy with the quality and performance of my Nirvana. For me, the grind (as is) sets it apart from the rest of the pack in yet another way.
With that said, the work that you had done looks phenomenal as well. Thanks for sharing your videos and thoughts man.
I thought so too. But once I got those rust spots, I couldn't look at the blade without seeing them. :eek: Had to do something, and I so love the handle.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Frunkey wrote:1) They ABSOLUTELY could have put a lockbar insert in this knife with no problem. I'll reference the CKF Tegral and Rike knives as examples of integrals with LBI's Even if it were screwed in from the outside, they should have done it. Surely, they knew the lockstick was an issue prior to production.
Thing is, Ti framelocks don't require a lockbar insert. Plenty of makers have carburized locks over the years that have held up just fine. One of the big reasons to use an insert is how much it can help to ease production, but it is absolutely NOT required to have a solid/no stick/long wearing Ti lock, so long as the other factors are done correctly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Frunkey wrote:
Evil D wrote:Well, I'm with you on the regrind at least. If there's one thing besides the price that kept me from buying one, it's the grind. But, just some food for thought...

1. Lock stick aside, they can't put a steel lock insert into this knife because they can't get inside it to screw them in. I suppose they could have been screwed in from the outside by drilling holes through the outside of the lock bar, but that would have ruined the looks of the knife and there would be countless people complaining about that.

2. I don't see what the blade finish has to do with causing rust? Because it's stonewashed?
1) They ABSOLUTELY could have put a lockbar insert in this knife with no problem. I'll reference the CKF Tegral and Rike knives as examples of integrals with LBI's Even if it were screwed in from the outside, they should have done it. Surely, they knew the lockstick was an issue prior to production.

2) Blade finish was acid stonewash (I think..it was definitely NOT a simple stonewash). Acid removes the flat, hardened steel surface that you get with a mirror or satin finish, even a simple stonewash. This creates surface irregularities in which dirt/water/**** can get collected and cause rust even if you clean your blade. S90V shouldn't rust on me ever. I really take care of my blades, and clean and oil them well.

Well I guess you're right. They intentionally released a knife that they knew would have a sticky lock and would rust. Seems like a great PR decision.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Maybe I'll wait for a Nirvana 2 model...
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I thought I'd read several times that the acid wash before the stonewash put a layer of protective patina on the blade, therefore making it less susceptible to corrosion.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

dplafoll wrote:I thought I'd read several times that the acid wash before the stonewash put a layer of protective patina on the blade, therefore making it less susceptible to corrosion.
My experience with this blade tells me this is not the case. I had one that developed surface rust/staining just from being in my pocket on a humid day.

I just received another one, might try the vaseline trick to prevent corrosion.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

senorsquare wrote:
dplafoll wrote:I thought I'd read several times that the acid wash before the stonewash put a layer of protective patina on the blade, therefore making it less susceptible to corrosion.
My experience with this blade tells me this is not the case. I had one that developed surface rust/staining just from being in my pocket on a humid day.

I just received another one, might try the vaseline trick to prevent corrosion.
Interesting. I'm in Alabama and it's plenty hot and humid here, but I haven't seen anything on mine.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Frunkey

Post by Frunkey »

Well, whatever they did to this knife, made it rust on me. And I'm not the only one.
Frunkey

Post by Frunkey »

Evil D wrote: Well I guess you're right. They intentionally released a knife that they knew would have a sticky lock and would rust. Seems like a great PR decision.
Obviously :spyder: didn't do this on purpose. I'm trying to give honest feedback to identify issues, and hopefully contribute to the community.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Frunkey wrote:
Evil D wrote: Well I guess you're right. They intentionally released a knife that they knew would have a sticky lock and would rust. Seems like a great PR decision.
Obviously :spyder: didn't do this on purpose. I'm trying to give honest feedback to identify issues, and hopefully contribute to the community.

Well, I was just going along with this.
Frunkey wrote: Surely, they knew the lockstick was an issue prior to production.

Feedback is always good even when it's negative feedback, it just sounded like you had your mind made up before this discussion even started. If they knew it would be an issue, why would they release them for sale?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David