New Resilience: two different washers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
f.older

New Resilience: two different washers?

Post by f.older »

Hi folks,

today got my new Resilience. Not bad (perfect for kitchen work), love the handling, great blade shape. But first issue what I saw: decentralized blade. And two different washers (1 bronze, 1 nylon/teflon). Is this a new improvement or had all along the Resilience these two different washers? And what could be the benefit (except less production cost)?

Best,

f.older
Evil D

Re: New Resilience: two different washers?

Post by Evil D »

I would guess and say they're also different sizes? I've seen a lot of liner locks with a smaller washer on the lock side than the other side. If not then I have no idea.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would assume just a production change or specific fitment on that particular knife (total speculation).

The cost of a washer on a wholesale basis for Spyderco would be almost nothing. There are companies that cut corners like this but they are usually multi-billion dollar ones that make cell phones. #lolsamsung
f.older

Post by f.older »

Evil D wrote:I would guess and say they're also different sizes? I've seen a lot of liner locks with a smaller washer on the lock side than the other side. If not then I have no idea.
I'm not sure, it's hard to see. Have to dismount the beast. But could imagine you're right.
Blerv wrote:I would assume just a production change or specific fitment on that particular knife (total speculation).

The cost of a washer on a wholesale basis for Spyderco would be almost nothing. There are companies that cut corners like this but they are usually multi-billion dollar ones that make cell phones. #lolsamsung
It seems so. Probably it's a real improvement.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it helps I can tell you this is not the first I've heard of this, and not just in Chinese models, though I can't recall the models this was last brought up on.
~David
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Mine were like that too. The PB was smaller to accommodate the lockbar, and the other side is a thick nylon & 1 thin PB (if memory serves me right). Both knives were from couple of years back. Completely normal.

If blade isn't centered, try loosening up the pivot, add several layers of paper to push the blade & re-tighten. If not rubbing on scale, I'd leave it as it is.
Chris :spyder:
f.older

Post by f.older »

anagarika wrote:(...) If not rubbing on scale, I'd leave it as it is.
Hahaha, that's it and will be just now my wise as well. I'm not able to get the blade centred and: it's not really a big off-center. Just a bit, just a cosmetic thing. This knife costs not the world.

In view of the amazing handling, blade shape, useful size etc. I wonder there is not a 1:1 copy in a high level grade workmanship (better steel and stronger construction). Still looking for a kind of bushcraft folder (the like of a small supplement to a fixed knife).
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Glad you accept that and can enjoy the knife.
:cool:
f.older

Post by f.older »

anagarika wrote:Glad you accept that and can enjoy the knife.
:cool:
Hm.. not really, hahaha. Could not resist to disassemble the bag... ;-) Yep - that's enjoying the knife also. ;-)
It came out not 2 different washers but every metal washer (bronze or simple copper?) is located between the blade heel and a nylon (or teflon?) washer.

They worked with grease and that could make sense cause the small notches/holes in the copper washers work as catchment. However – I removed the grease, cleaned all the parts and work with my simple oil, hahaha (will see...). Now, after this procedure the blade runs smoother and it’s little bit more centered.

I would prefer bigger washers to get more deflection from blade heel to liners at tougher working with the knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's interesting. Probably my favorite thing about a Sebenza is how large the washers are, same with my ZT0303. That ZT is what got me thinking that one washer was a larger diameter than the other, it has a huge washer on the non lock side.
~David
f.older

Post by f.older »

Evil D wrote:(...) how large the washers are (...)
Yes, that's what I mean with "bigger" (maybe the wrong word cause my English as humble German guy is fu..ing bad). ;-) Thus I prefer LARGER washers. :-D
Ray Allen

Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Interesting thread....my Resilience has been one of my all time favorites, albeit the price point factoring in strongly into that opinion. It has been my go to "beater" knife for quite some time now....
Cheers
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I don't have my Resilience with me at the moment. However, I think yours is newer and with better washer arrangement. The inner parts look very well finished too. Congrats to the CQI (Constant Quality Improvement)

There's a video or link somewhere teaching people how to center liner lock knives. Can't find it at the moment. Perhaps when you re-assemble them, don't tighten the pivot (safe it for last), add some layers of paper to push the blade (closed) to the opposite direction from where it has bias. Then tighten the pivot, and remove the paper. Hope this helps.
f.older

Post by f.older »

anagarika wrote:(...) I think yours is newer and with better washer arrangement. (...)
Perhaps. Perhaps not. I think the locking liner pressures the blade a bit too strong sidewards against the teflon/nylon washer. It's a bit too soft and cave in. If I had metal washers I would test it. To leave the teflon/nylon washers doesn't work cause the bronze/copper washers are overly thin (just tested).

I could imagine the best thing will be to use larger washers at the opposite of the liner lock to resist the strain. Spyderco is able to test it - needs a minute. Good to see: If I tie up the pivot the blade tip drifts to the center.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

If tightening the pivot can center the blade, then it needs breaking in, where all components are polished out and can be tight but still smooth.