Spydiechef-am I the only one??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PiterM

Re: Spydiechef-am I the only one??

Post by PiterM »

Thanks for comparison!

And from me -> that's the only one I got now at hand:

NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Thx for the pictures. If I'm lucky my Techno and Bowie will have some company next week :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Ya know, with that blade angle, all that belly and that dropped point this knife would probably skin and process game very, very well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Ya know, with that blade angle, all that belly and that dropped point this knife would probably skin and process game very, very well.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I have my stretch for that this year but it sure would be fun to break down a couple deer this Thanksgiving weekend with one of these bad boys.. (Another pathetic attempt at me justifying a new knife purchase)
baldanthony

Post by baldanthony »

I like mine. I think it's reasonable to warn people to temper their expectations, though.
It seems less a kitchen knife due to size and angle. Holding it as a paring knife is dangerous, as you'd place your finger on the spine for control, which is a no-no. Push cutting feels wrong due to the angle. As others have suggested, if the blade followed the final contour, it would be better suited for pinch grips and paring.
Negatives aside, it has a definite appeal to me, which is draw cuts. The belly lends itself well to pulling the blade towards you. It feels slightly like a Mantra 2 in this regard, but stouter and with a massively less-corrosive blade. I'll carry it as an EDC, but I'll stick with my dedicated kitchen knives for now.

I'm interested to know what others think after handling theirs. Maybe my expectations were just off, like I expected an entirely different knife? Pleased with the results, but in different ways.
baldanthony

Post by baldanthony »

Comparison to PM2. Best I can do at the moment ;)
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Folder for camp kitchen use? Or around the house? Or edc? or all of that combined? Really, I'm more than happy with mine. BTW, it's a very aggressive cutter. Here in sunny fall colors, yeah:

NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I'm going for all around use/edc. I sometimes use a folder if I'm in a kitchen with no decent knives, but I've given good kitchen cutlery to most of my friends over the years so the folder mostly stays in my pocket. Thx for the pics, it looks like a very usable design.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

TQK is showing these in Stock
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ii_pennies

Post by ii_pennies »

How does it compare to the Slysz bowie? Thanks
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

farnorthdan wrote:TQK is showing these in Stock

Out of stock now, and can't find them in stock anywhere.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Flipping Addict wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:TQK is showing these in Stock

Out of stock now, and can't find them in stock anywhere.
KnifeCenter is showing in stock now :)

also Knife Outlet
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Just checked knife center and shows preorder only for me.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Flipping Addict wrote:Just checked knife center and shows preorder only for me.
Yep, those didnt last long, Knife outlet is still showing they can be added to cart.

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

New Graham Knives is showing 3 in stock also.

mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

You guys are not making this easy for me... Must resist.
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Fruit is good! Especially chopped with Spyderco :D

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

man, i really love the design! and i went nuts when it was revealed that there'll be a production run.
actually i was stoked when i saw the first pictures of the prototype in 2012 or 2013.
tonight i was at a friends place, gathering the knife nut circle and 4 of us 7, -chicks included agreed upon getting one of these beauties ASAP!
my only problem is, that i just got the blurple millie and ordered the santoku chef knife - so my knife budget is very well out of balance - i really hope there will be enough for all of us, since i have to wait a while to purchase one!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

This is my grail, I will have one!
Josh