Why the Native 5 in Maxamet?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Why the Native 5 in Maxamet?

Post by awa54 »

NOTE: The title of this thread was intended as a humorous riff on the Manix/Maxamet thread, there is no question posed here, unless the question is "why is the Maxamet Manix 2 LW getting all the love?" :D

Sorry for the confusion!

Hey what's up here, is the N5 chopped liver?

I'm guessing I'll wind up with both, but honestly I'm more excited for a Maxamet N5!
Last edited by awa54 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
kbuzbee

Re: Why the Native 5 in Maxamet?

Post by kbuzbee »

I don't understand your question, David. Are you asking why the Manix LW Maxamet is coming out before the Native 5?

Ken
awa54

Post by awa54 »

kbuzbee wrote:I don't understand your question, David. Are you asking why the Manix LW Maxamet is coming out before the Native 5?

Ken
Not a question as much as an observation that the Manix is getting the spotlight when the Native deserves it as well.

Maybe I *am* the only one who's more psyched for the N5 than the M2LW...
-David

Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Maybe phrase the question properly. Do you mean Why NOT the Native 5 in Maxamet?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

No, I'm sure you're not, but your original post wasn't clear about what you were thinking. It reads more like:

'The Native 5 is coming out in Maxamet. Why? Is the Native 5 chopped liver?''

Implying that a Maxamet Native 5 is not a good thing. That made no sense to me so I guessed you were referring to the Manix LW being first.

If I had to hazard a guess on that, I'd think it was more to do with scheduling and resources than demand or interest, but that is purely a guess on my part.

Ken
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

David Lowry wrote:Maybe phrase the question properly. Do you mean Why NOT the Native 5 in Maxamet?
Yeah, but I don't think that was even the point. More like 'Why isn't the Native 5 Maxamet being released FIRST?'

(The other way to read it was 'Why a Native 5 LW instead of G10, CF etc,?' But given his follow up I don't think that was the point.)

Ken
awa54

Post by awa54 »

David Lowry wrote:Maybe phrase the question properly. Do you mean Why NOT the Native 5 in Maxamet?
Sorry, it was an attempt (obviously a failed one) to riff on the "Why the Manix in Maxamet?" thread. :o
-David

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Weird, but I thought I understood what he was getting at. I guess grading too many student English papers. :)

I have never held a Native. I have been told it is too small for my mitt (a Manix XL is tight). However, I would surmise it has to do with the blade thickness. Sal said the reason they went with the Manix was that the steel came in 3mm sheets, the thickness of the Manix blade. The Native 5 has a 3.2mm thick blade, so I assume that means they had to get a separate order of steel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Doc Dan wrote:Weird, but I thought I understood what he was getting at. I guess grading too many student English papers. :)

I have never held a Native. I have been told it is too small for my mitt (a Manix XL is tight). However, I would surmise it has to do with the blade thickness. Sal said the reason they went with the Manix was that the steel came in 3mm sheets, the thickness of the Manix blade. The Native 5 has a 3.2mm thick blade, so I assume that means they had to get a separate order of steel.
Interesting, I wonder if the N5 blade will actually be thicker stock, or if there will just be thicker bushings (or rather additional 0.1mm bushings, since the N5 has cast in bushings as part of the FRN handle scales), to allow use of the existing 3mm stock.

Either way it looks like I was too much of a smart aleck with my thread title to successfully stoke enthusiasm for the N5 in Maxamet...
-David

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A Maxamet Native5 enthuses me.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Native 5 is a great knife for general EDC. :)
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I don't care for the Native 5 and, to me, it seems like a weird platform for a high carbide maximum wear steel.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Ankerson wrote:The Native 5 is a great knife for general EDC. :)
+1
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Cujobob wrote:I don't care for the Native 5 and, to me, it seems like a weird platform for a high carbide maximum wear steel.
Not really

this is S110V. not low carbide either

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

*raises hand* I prefer the size and ergos of the Native to the Manix. I'll be holding out for that one.
(Sent from iPod)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

For those of us who regard the Native5 as a mini Manix, Maxamet is just the right kind of steel. :)
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JonesE

Post by JonesE »

Cuz we are steal junkies and we's gots to have options!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JonesE wrote:Cuz we are steal junkies and we's gots to have options!
Yessir!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, I like the utility of the Native and the lock. I wish for a return of the Manix FFG with a backlock, but I am one of the few, more than likely.

I hope against hope to hold a Native in my hand before this comes out. If I can get 4 fingers without using the choil I will get one or maybe two. I was stoked at the idea of a Native 3.5 until I found out the prototype did not have the back lock. In any case, it is a great design for those whose hands it fits.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Doc Dan wrote:I have never held a Native.
Heretic! Run him out of town! :D
Just kidding, Spyderco gives us a wonderful variety of designs since we are all individuals and have different tastes.

Off the top of my head, I think I own around 10 Native 5's (Let's see, 3 fluted Ti, 3 GITD, a couple of the green S110V forum ones, a couple of the maroon forum ones, lightweight, lightweight S110V, black G10...) and yet though I love them, for some reason I find I don't carry them quite as often as say a Military or PM2 - along with something smaller in another pocket or two.

Well, I do carry a fluted Ti N5 at the same time as a Millie sometimes :). I just don't have enough pockets for everything I want to carry with me.
Doc Dan wrote:I have been told it is too small for my mitt (a Manix XL is tight).
But if you ever get a chance to hold one, you might just find it fits your hand after all. You still might not like it for other reasons (some people just don't like a choil, etc) - if a Manix XL is a tight fit, it might not be for you - but I think you should give it a try if you ever get a chance.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)