Customer Service Issue Resolved

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tim Scott

Customer Service Issue Resolved

Post by Tim Scott »

Hi guys see email thread below. So much for customer support!

"Sorry we do not stock extra sheaths for the Aqua salts and do not sell sheaths. I can give you the information of a few sheath makers but they are all here in the US.

Thank you and have a great day,

Charlynn
Spyderco Customer Service/Warranty/Repair

“Integrity is being good, even if no one is watching”™

Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 6:20 AM

To: CustomerService
Subject: RE: Registration and sheath issues

Hi Charlynn,

Climbing up the harbour ladder today, my aqua salt caught on something and the sheath snapped off. Fortunately, the knife dropped down into the deck, but the sheath dropped into the water and disappeared. Could you send a replacement sheath please?
Regards,
Tim."
Last edited by Tim Scott on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tvenuto

Re: Customer Disservice?

Post by tvenuto »

So...you broke part of an item, and you want the manufacturer of said item to replace that part free of charge?

slick228

Post by slick228 »

Tim Scott wrote:Hi guys see email thread below. So much for customer support!

"Sorry we do not stock extra sheaths for the Aqua salts and do not sell sheaths. I can give you the information of a few sheath makers but they are all here in the US.

Thank you and have a great day,

Charlynn
Spyderco Customer Service/Warranty/Repair

“Integrity is being good, even if no one is watching”™

Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 6:20 AM

To: CustomerService
Subject: RE: Registration and sheath issues

Hi Charlynn,

Climbing up the harbour ladder today, my aqua salt caught on something and the sheath snapped off. Fortunately, the knife dropped down into the deck, but the sheath dropped into the water and disappeared. Could you send a replacement sheath please?
Regards,
Tim."
You created an account for this...
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

It is frustrating and I'm a bit surprised they don't have extra sheaths. I would encourage you to make one. Using kydex is simple and would not cost much at all.
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

Doesn't kydex float? Bummer, but I would not feel entitled to a free sheath if I lost or broke one.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

I could see your frustration about not being able to buy a new one, but I don't understand why you would think that they would give you a free one.
slick228

Post by slick228 »

Skidoosh wrote:It is frustrating and I'm a bit surprised they don't have extra sheaths. I would encourage you to make one. Using kydex is simple and would not cost much at all.
I think Tim is looking for a free replacement sheath to the one he broke/lost. I don't think he is interested in making or purchasing a sheath.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Spyderco has most of their sheaths made by Sheathpro. I assume that is one of the contacts they gave you. They are good people so if you want a factory style sheath I would contact them. Otherwise there are many skilled sheath makers out there.

Do you believe that the sheath was defective? Did you tell them that? If the sheath was not defective then I am unsure what you want from the manufacturer. They only cover defective products and do not cover damage, neglect or wear. Unfortunately sometimes in life lessons are learned the hard way. I am sorry your sheath broke but all you can do is replace it and try not to do that again.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

It's a bit disappointing that they cannot sell replacement parts (they have a ton of knives, though and are constantly making more), but I wouldn't expect that to be covered under warranty. That said, you can find plenty of folks who do kydex work these days.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

People make Kydex sheaths all over the world which are superior to the injection molded ones Spyderco makes. Many generic leather ones would even work and you don't have to worry about the corrosion aspect with H1.

Since sheaths aren't a wear item and are usually secured to a belt it's seldom they go missing. It would annoy me more if they were constantly making parts that didn't wear out as they have to pay for it somehow. Likely by hiking the MSRP for people who just need one of each.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

If you ask me, you should be grateful that she wanted to help you out with contacting third parties making the sheath. This isn't something she or Spyderco as a company has to do or benefits from in any way.
She did everything she is supposed to do and more.
That's service.
Besides that, you can't really call out a company for having a finite stock of items instead of keeping a million copies of everything they make in case of user errors.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

While I am surprised that Spyderco doesn't carry any replacement sheaths for the Aqua Salt (seeing as how at least the black coated versions are current products), I don't understand how *not* having extras is considered a "disservice".
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Losing the sheath and saving the knife is the better outcome.
BTG

Post by BTG »

And I assume, that's why fixed blades at the seconds sale don't have sheaths..if it's not going to be normal retail they don't even have a sheath made for it....like she said we don't do sheaths...I guess he wanted her to lie to him....sure, got one right here, it'll be in the mail this afternoon...bye.
ArmaliteKnight

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

tvenuto wrote:So...you broke part of an item, and you want the manufacturer of said item to replace that part free of charge?

Your gif makes me so happy...
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I tried a similar tack with a different manufacturer and got a similar answer:
Dear Volvo.

I was driving down the road and caught the fender of my S60 on a roadsign and it broke off.
Can you send me a free new one please?

Love and kisses- Jon
;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi Tim,
Sorry to hear about your sheath. In all fairness, I would not classify Charlynn's response as being a customer "disservice." I think any reasonable person would likely agree that supplying free replacement sheaths (or other free parts, for that matter) is not a sound business plan. There are several companies (and also private individuals) who provide excellent sheaths that are quite reasonable in cost. Our own member, Studey, does a spectacular job with custom Kydex sheaths.

Welcome to the forum, too. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I think Charlynn provided the OP with outstanding customer service. She needs to be thanked for her efforts.

As far as I can recall, Spyderco has not made, nor maintained an inventory of, sheaths for its knives. In fact, there are other knife companies that do not make, let alone maintain an inventory of, sheaths for their knives. Many outsource another company to produce the sheaths as needed for the knives they make. I did a quick Google and search of the Spyderco, Emerson, Strider, and Hinderer websites, and, as far a I could find and determine, none of these outstanding companies sell spare sheaths for the knives they produce.

Chris Reeve Knives also outsources the manufacturing of leather sheaths for its Sebenza with a local leathersmith; however, a customer will not get the leather sheath with a NIB Sebenza... if a customer would like this leather sheath, it can be PURCHASED through Chris Reeve Knives as well as a number of knife stores as an additional accessory.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Sorry to hear about your lost sheath, like others have already mentioned, there are plenty of after market makers out there that should be able to help you out.

Welcome to the forum
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Hey GM, I just popped all four tires on my truck by driving over a bunch of nails. Please send four new ones...
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.