Sunday Poll - Should S30V be phased out?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should S30V be phased out for regular prodution models?

Yes
24%
No
64%
Don't care
12%

Total votes: 108

Johnnie1801

Sunday Poll - Should S30V be phased out?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Just wondering what everyone's opinion is on S30V, is it something you'd like to continue seeing in the Spyderco line up or would you like to see models using the steel change to something else?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Evil D

Re: Sunday Poll - Should S30V be phased out?

Post by Evil D »

It feels kinda harsh but I voted yes. I think there are better all around steels available today that would make a better "standard production steel".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I voted no, I like S30V, it's been a great steel for me over the years.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Any suggestions about what would replace S30V?

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I voted no.

What properties of S30V would people like to see increased/decreased that would make a better "all-around" steel? I personally would like to see knives in AEB-L, but I acknowledge that this selection would be increasing my pet properties, and may not result in a better all-around selection for the gamut of uses (not just my uses).

I know suggesting a replacement will probably result in a "steel forum battle royale," but I do think it's a bit unfair to say it should be replaced but not make a suggestion and why you think this results in a better standard production steel.

I guess it's possible some have the opinion that there shouldn't be an "all-around" steel in the lineup, just specialized ones. That would be an interesting discussion.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Able Dog wrote:Any suggestions about what would replace S30V?

That would be the problem....

All of the steels in the mid range are all VERY close performance wise so replacing S30V would be nothing more than redundant.

Replace steel A with Steel B only to have the same performance.

We already have S110V in regular production so that means we have a choice of S30V or S110V so that covers the mid range and high end.

For low end there are other choices.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ankerson wrote:

All of the steels in the mid range are all VERY close performance wise so replacing S30V would be nothing more than redundant.

We already have S110V in regular production so that means we have a choice of S30V or S110V so that covers the mid range and high end.

For those less versed in what you might be talking about, care to expand on what you mean by "high end, mid range, and low end?"
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Most major name steels are pretty good right now, but to me, S30V's qualities don't outweigh how annoying it is to sharpen. I prefer:

CTS-XHP
14C28N
AEB-L

As inexpensive, corrosion resistant, EDC steels. I also dislike VG-10 but that may be due to inconsistency with heat treat moreso than anything else.

These steels sharpen better, hold a good edge with proper heat treat, have decent toughness, and take a decent polish. You may lose a small amount of edge retention depending on HT, but you can bring back the edge without issue.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I voted no, l like it.....if your a thinking something like Elmax, yeah that would be cool...but I like an option to the super steels like s110v and the like...ZDP 189 would be cool too, but I don't want a clad steel like some of the ZDP ...if it was phased out and just replaced with s35v would be cool...they're close enough for me.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I voted don't care because "happy one way or the other" wasn't an option. :o
I think it's still a good choice for a common high quality steel. When I consider the performance, the ability to sharpen, and the price, all of the other steels I would prefer are either much more expensive or a lot harder to sharpen. For now I don't see a substantially better option available. I find CTS-XHP to be just slightly easier to sharpen and basically the same performance so although I prefer XHP, switching to it still seems redundant to me. That said...I have my fill of S30V knives and I'd welcome a change if it happened. CTS204P at S30V prices would be my dream scenario but I don't think that will happen any time soon, if ever. :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I voted no but I guess that would depend on what S30V is replaced with and how much it would increase the price of the knives. I'm certainly no authority on knife steels but S30V seems fine for my needs. I've also been very happy with the S35VN used on the Natives but I'm not sure that would seem like much of an upgrade to some folks.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Ankerson wrote:

And there is already BD1 for the regular Manix 2 LW (for "lower end").

Frankly, I'm perfectly happy with S30V being the standard US workhorse steel.

I'm much more interested in what Sal introduces into the Seki-City lineup.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Able Dog wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

And there is already BD1 for the regular Manix 2 LW (for "lower end").

Frankly, I'm perfectly happy with S30V being the standard US workhorse steel.

I'm much more interested in what Sal introduces into the Seki-City lineup.
I agree, the Golden lineup is good the way it is. :spyder:

No real need to change in my opinion.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

S30V is pretty good stuff with a very nice compromise of properties. True that it doesn't hold a superfine polished edge as well as a VG-10, but it will hold a coarser finished edge for a very long time. S30V's corrosion resistance is also superb.

Until I see a material that can at least mimic and improve on the qualities of S30V I'm inclined to stick with the known.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have more S30V knives than probably any other. The only other even close is VG10. I voted no. It's still an outstanding modern "super" steel. It's pretty tough for such a high wear stainless and is a good all around knife steel for folders.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

S30v seems underrated nowadays. It's a great EDC IMO. I prefer others, but unless we're gonna see M390 at the same price point why change?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I voted no.

S30V, even though it's not my favorite steel, balances wear-resistance, toughness, and corrosion-resistance better than most.

Sal has said as much, if memory serves. What better balanced steel to put in Golden and Taichung production knives, I wonder.

Keeping complaints of general (non-afi) customers to a minimum by offering them a nicely performing and easily maintained blade in a production knife can only serve Spyderco's interests. By extension, S30V serves the folks who hang out here and dream of sprints, exclusives, and "out there" collabs in steels that are even more super.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I voted no, for most of the reasons mentioned above... a switch to XHP or S35VN wouldn't bother me at all, but now that I'm tuned in to sharpening S30V it works fine for me. A switch to Elmax or 204P as a standard steel would be amazing, but I have to assume that either of those would increase prices, if it was a 10% increase I'd be all for it, but past about 25% I bet it would put a big dent in Spyderco's ability to compete with other manufacturers.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ankerson wrote:

This. ^
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I like S30V, as it has treated me well, for many years. I voted no.