Sunday Poll - Should S30V be phased out?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should S30V be phased out for regular prodution models?

Yes
24%
No
64%
Don't care
12%

Total votes: 108

bearfacedkiller

Re: Sunday Poll - Should S30V be phased out?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don't think it should be or that it even needs to be changed but I have long wished that XHP had been chosen instead of S30V. I could support that change but it also wouldn't be a big change. With BD1, S30V, S110V and now Maxamet I think Spyderco is covering the spectrum pretty well. For this reason I voted no in this poll.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
arty

Post by arty »

Not unless the replacement is something like S35V or XHP.
TN.Frank

Post by TN.Frank »

Nope, S30V offers a nice upgrade to 8Cr13Mov for those looking for a better blade without a lot of added expense of some of the more "High End" steels. Yes, there are probably better steels available like S110V but for EDC how much better do you need and really, for most of us 8Cr13MoV is perfectly fine for our EDC blades if the truth be told.
:eek:
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

I'm not a meturalogist but my Native 5 s35v seems easier to sharpen.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Heck no. It is still a phenomenal steel. I love it. I still really like 154CM, CPM-154, and D2. Just because there are new steels out doesn't mean we need to give up a current good steel. When/if the prices drop on the higher end steels then maybe....but not yet.

Honestly, I have mixed luck with CTS-XHP. I have used CPM-S30V on certain folders that have out performed XHP. I'm not sold on XHP yet. S30V has earned a spot in my pocket, as has D2, M4, M2, 154CM, etc....
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Donut

Post by Donut »

It is a good steel. When you look to try something that another company has to offer, like a special lock, finding something with S30V or better... it is sometimes really hard to find!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

whats the downside to switching to s35v? A little better is still better, right?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I think CPM154 and PSF27 would both be better alternatives.

I have to believe that spyderco is sitting on ALOT of S30V. I cannot believe that there aren't better steels available at a lower cost. I do know Sal had a hand in developing the original S30V even if it didn't turn out exactly like they wanted. I don't know that whole story. Also LC200N would probably make a great steel for the everyday guy who doesn't geek out on steels. It's simply a steel that doesn't rust and can be plugged into most folders and perform well. I don't have any experience with it to say for sure.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Bodog wrote:I think CPM154 and PSF27 would both be better alternatives.

I have to believe that spyderco is sitting on ALOT of S30V. I cannot believe that there aren't better steels available at a lower cost. I do know Sal had a hand in developing the original S30V even if it didn't turn out exactly like they wanted. I don't know that whole story. Also LC200N would probably make a great steel for the everyday guy who doesn't geek out on steels. It's simply a steel that doesn't rust and can be plugged into most folders and perform well. I don't have any experience with it to say for sure.
What do you think of something like cts-40cp, too similar to 440c?
Screenshot_1.jpg
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Bodog wrote:I think CPM154 and PSF27 would both be better alternatives.

I have to believe that spyderco is sitting on ALOT of S30V. I cannot believe that there aren't better steels available at a lower cost.
What properties do those steels have that might make them a better choice for general use than S30V?

Assuming equal control for alloying element quantities, to say "better" when referring to one steel versus another is meaningless without qualification. Meaning: you need to specify what it is better at/for. To say one steel is better than another steel is not a statement that can be evaluated. Saying one steel is "high end" and another is "low end" is not a statement that can be evaluated.

I think this discussion has huge potential to tease out what properties are important to some of spyderco's ELUs. The forum is an invaluable resource, since we're essentially "crowd sourcing" testing, and "many hands make light work" as my grandfather used to say. However, if we can't effectively communicate our preferences or findings, our collective voice gets completely lost.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

S30V is a good steel. Like 154CM before it, it was originally touted as being the perfect knife steel and then fashion moved on. However, S30V has very good and desirable properties for a knife steel. I cannot think of one I would want to change to over this one as a standard for knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

I voted no, I think it is a good steel for edc.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Psf27 is tool steel and not stainless. They are not going to switch to that as too many casual buyers are not going to take care of it. They save the good stuff for the knife knuts!
The RWL 34 seems pretty good. Not sure if it's better than s30v yet. And I would rather have American made steel. XHP is pretty good. I like that.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yeah, I have had staining on my PSF27 more than once now. It is probably not stainless enough for the standard issue steel.

CPM154 could be another good option besides XHP is we wanted a change that delivers similar performance at a similar price point.

I wonder why the Native5 switched to S35V while the rest of the lineup stayed with S30V? Maybe the Native5 was a test run to evaluate the economics of making the switch? Maybe we will see a shift towards S35V at some point?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

We are so spoiled ;)
S30v is a decent steel. The Glessers are very smart knife people. Personally I am a steel snob and prefer other steels, but as long as spyderco makes good designs and does them well, why exclude a good steel if they have reason to use it. Just keep using Cruwear (more please), M4, S90V, S110V, XHP, even S35vn all with good heat treat and at a price I can afford and I'm happy. I voted "don't care."