Spyderco Urban

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cogito

Spyderco Urban

Post by Cogito »

I saw a couple photos of these on Instagram. Looks like a cool little slip joint. Anybody have experience with these? Pretty affordable too.
SG89

Re: Spyderco Urban

Post by SG89 »

Awesome knife you will not be disappointed!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I'd be up for one in m390 :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Great little knife! I like how the slip joint works!

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The Urban is an excellent slip joint in the Caly/UKPK family, especially the older G10 variations. I swapped a leaf blade into my orange wharnie version. Now if we could just convince Sal to make us a titanium one! :D

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The Urban is a terrific little folder :) Carried mine for over 3 years before finally gifting it to a very good friend. Great all purpose carry :D
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Wow! Thank you guys for the fast response. Guess we know what I'm ordering today!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Go for it!

I held off for a long time b/c I wasn't sure I needed anything smaller than my Chaparral, but I finally picked one up earlier this year and it's fantastic. Great for summer carry, it rode clipped iwb a lot on my board and athletic shorts. I would literally forgot it was there sometimes. So light and compact, but still offers a full 4-finger grip with the choil and has plenty of blade for my edc needs. Nice, positive action on the spring, never had any concern about it closing on me. Between this and my UKPKs, I'm a big :spyder: slip-it fan.

:spyder:
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Thank you guys! Should be here in 4 days!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Cogito wrote:Thank you guys! Should be here in 4 days!
Good call!

The FRN version of the Urban beats out the FRN UKPK in my book, for one it still has the original blade stock thickness (UKPK got a thinner blade) and the smaller handle scales give it a more solid feel, plus the Italian version of the slipit backspring is better IMO than the split spring my FRN UKPK has.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Good call. It's a great little knife.

And I'm in for a Ti version!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

jackthedog wrote: And I'm in for a Ti version!
Ditto!
-David

Nate

Post by Nate »

Kind of a funny story, just got back from a grillout on some acreage our family owns. My wife and I were only in charge of bringing snacks and a salad, but it turned out that no one but me brought a knife of any sort lol. So out came the Urban for everything that needed cutting. It chopped veggies, trimmed and sliced the ribs, opened beers, etc... It literally felt like someone was asking for it every few minutes.

Had I thought about it beforehand, I usually would have grabbed my Manix, Para2, or Millie, but it was hectic getting out the door and I never stopped to think about it. The Urban was what I had on me, so that's what we used and it did great!
:spyder:
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

That's awesome, Nate!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Image
So Spydergirl... did you pick this one up second hand, or are you #018??

If the British green didn't fit it so well, I'd get a set of the Cuscadi "Silk" scales for mine, a great knife, even better with Elmax!
-David

SG89

Post by SG89 »

awa54 wrote:
So Spydergirl... did you pick this one up second hand, or are you #018??

If the British green didn't fit it so well, I'd get a set of the Cuscadi "Silk" scales for mine, a great knife, even better with Elmax!
No I picked this up from the exchange
Spydergirl88
timlara

Post by timlara »

Good choice, Cogito!

I love my Urban LW. The slipjoint is stiff enough that it feels secure, but it's not too hard to open and close and the ergos are super comfortable. To me it's kind of like a beefier Dragonfly in the way it slices and handles. The N690co takes a really keen edge, too.
Tim
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Really enjoy my Wharnie Urban!
Going back to Caly.
RunnersLunge

Post by RunnersLunge »

The urban is a solid little slipit that I consider a light use beater type of knife in my personal use. I appreciate it for times when I know more blade length will be needed than available in the squeak. Factors of the low (relative) price point, FRN handle, and slip it is great when doing mechanic, garage, lawn type of work where you need a quick blade to easily open/close when your hands are filthy or otherwise occupied. When I have greasy hands easily opening and not messing with a locking knife is great to open a car part box and go right on about my business. The urban is considerably harder to open/close though than the squeak. At the end of the day I interchange the squeak/urban quite a bit and could argue either is the preferred on any given day... Enjoy your purchase.