Tip up or tip down. Which do you perfer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TN.Frank

Tip up or tip down. Which do you perfer?

Post by TN.Frank »

Latest video on the subject. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/GxbHstv7SeQ
:eek:
SpyderNut

Re: Tip up or tip down. Which do you perfer?

Post by SpyderNut »

I'd say a lot depends on personal preference, however, it also depends on several other factors, such as the size of the knife, the type of lock used, and perhaps even intended use or function. (For instance, the Emerson opener mechanism is essentially useless if configured for tip-down carry). I personally prefer tip-up on my folders, whenever possible.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Tip up is my preference in most cases.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tip up for the knives I carry.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I also prefer tip up carry. I feel like the clip is getting in my way when gripping the knife if the clip is mounted for tip down carry.
-Nick :bug-red
paladin

Post by paladin »

Tip down if the knife has a weak/semi weak detent, like most linerlocks & framelocks...

Tip up is fine for most backlocks that have stronger self close and firmer detent....Native 5 & Caly 3.5 comes to mind

Love the tip down on the Military, it's the best backpocket folding knife EVER!

But if I find the knife ergonomic and highly useful, clip position is not a deal breaker...case in point, Caly Jr.-- my favorite knife, is only configured for tip down carry. I'd love to have it in tip up, but I've grown accustomed to tip down carry for this model, and I've grown to like it that way!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Mushroom wrote:I also prefer tip up carry. I feel like the clip is getting in my way when gripping the knife if the clip is mounted for tip down carry.
This is also my experience.
vivi

Post by vivi »

tip up, always. modded a few millies and para 1's.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Mushroom wrote:I also prefer tip up carry. I feel like the clip is getting in my way when gripping the knife if the clip is mounted for tip down carry.
Yup! Tip up please.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Tip up right front pants pocket
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a right rear pocket and tip down kind of guy.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I prefer tip up.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I don't much like pocket clips and remove them whenever possible. I guess I fall into the neither category.

Grizz
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Tip up always, and I only carry backlocks so accidental opening is not an issue.
I only have one knife that carries tip down, but +20 tip up fodlers.
TN.Frank

Post by TN.Frank »

I had a Cold Steel Scimitar that was partially open and in my right front pocket cut a 3" long, 1/2" deep gash in my lower leg when I pulled on my jean shorts after I got out of the shower and that was tip up so even with a good back locking system can still have the blade come open and you'll get cut. Now I carry in my right rear pocket so it's not as much of an issue so it really depends on the knife. Large knives go tip down, smaller ones are tip up.
I wanted to try and keep all of em' the same to keep things simple but it just doesn't work out for all knives all the time. You have to adapt to the knife/opening system IMHO.
:eek:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

TN.Frank wrote:I had a Cold Steel Scimitar that was partially open and in my right front pocket cut a 3" long, 1/2" deep gash in my lower leg when I pulled on my jean shorts after I got out of the shower and that was tip up so even with a good back locking system can still have the blade come open and you'll get cut. Now I carry in my right rear pocket so it's not as much of an issue so it really depends on the knife. Large knives go tip down, smaller ones are tip up.
I wanted to try and keep all of em' the same to keep things simple but it just doesn't work out for all knives all the time. You have to adapt to the knife/opening system IMHO.
2 mistakes here:

1. Leaving a knife in your pants when they're not on.
2. Jorts.

I carry tip up, and I'm a right front pocket kinda guy. If in gym shorts (75%of my life), I carry IWB at 12:15, also tip up. When carrying IWB it's almost exclusively the delica, and sometimes the FRN Native (forum version). I'll only carry a back lock IWB.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

tvenuto wrote: If in gym shorts (75%of my life), I carry IWB at 12:15, also tip up. When carrying IWB it's almost exclusively the delica, and sometimes the FRN Native (forum version). I'll only carry a back lock IWB.
I am almost always in board shorts and carry IWB a lot too. I carry at 1:00 and thats why I don't care for tip down knives. If a large tip down knife partially opens while carrying that way and you sit down without realizing it, you are going to perform a "self castration".
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

Surfingringo wrote:
tvenuto wrote: If in gym shorts (75%of my life), I carry IWB at 12:15, also tip up. When carrying IWB it's almost exclusively the delica, and sometimes the FRN Native (forum version). I'll only carry a back lock IWB.
I am almost always in board shorts and carry IWB a lot too. I carry at 1:00 and thats why I don't care for tip down knives. If a large tip down knife partially opens while carrying that way and you sit down without realizing it, you are going to perform a "self castration".
^Yikes.

I carry in a chest pocket at work and tip up just doesn't work that way, so I'm tip down 5 days a week. When I wear pants I prefer tip up but it doesnt matter nearly as much to me.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

sabb8pro2 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I am almost always in board shorts and carry IWB a lot too. I carry at 1:00 and thats why I don't care for tip down knives. If a large tip down knife partially opens while carrying that way and you sit down without realizing it, you are going to perform a "self castration".
^Yikes.
Indeed. Thus the backlock, which I feel confident won't open unless the knife falls apart completely, which probably would result in the parts just falling out of my pants.