Suggestions to expand my collection?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mb1

Re: Suggestions to expand my collection?

Post by mb1 »

I'll throw out the Military + DF2 combo. Fits well within your budget for the base models. I'm a little biased toward the Millie though since it's my most recent addition...and it's awesome! I've EDC'd a DF2 for the past 2 years and love it as well.

For me, the G-10 option on the DF2 kind of detracts from the beauty of this model in FRN. It weighs only slightly more than air in FRN. Then you slap some G-10 on it and it's up to 2 ozs!! :eek: LOL That's a large % increase at least. I need these ridiculous arguments to keep my spending down.

Enjoy your new knives!
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Thanks for the all the responses gents. To give you an idea of how confused I am:

I find myself persuaded by every new post I read! Hahaha
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

I can recommend the Native 5 lightweight and Manix 2 lightweight. Both are outstanding light folders that check a lot of boxes and look to be on your short list of folders. As much as I like the Natve, I can't say I like it better than the Delica (although I do prefer the new lock), but I can say I do prefer the Manix to the PM2. I would not have guessed that prior to purchasing the Manix.
:spyder: jstrange
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The Dragonfly and Manix are good choices.

I had a G10 DF, but gave it to my brother. It was a bit heavy for such a small knife, and somehow in real life it just didn't click for me.

The DF is a great little knife, but I feel it works best in FRN, because it is so light. Linerless is absolutely fine in this knife. At $55 the VG10 version costs almost about half as much as the G10 version...

The regular FFG S30V Manix is also a smoking deal at under $100.

Add SM diamond rods to fill your budget, because any investment in sharpening equipment is a win for your whole knife collection. :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Hmm. Diamond rods, or the UF rods?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Diamond! I do not have UF's and don't miss them at all, but use the diamonds often. They are indispensable to set bevels, and quickly bring a dull edge back to life. The mediums are too fine for that. The SM should come standard with the diamond rods IMO.
Hans

Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Thank you, Hans, I will definitely take it into consideration.

Currently I'm pretty set on a FRN Dragonfly 2, and the Manix 2. But I've had a look at the Sage 5, if that becomes available before the guy flies back I'll be getting that, I like the size, the looks, the lock, and the handle materials.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Any of the Sage's are great for office EDC. The 5 is tempting me too, but for now I am resisting. :)
Hans

Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I suggest the Dragonfly 2 in zdp189; don't be intimidated by the steel, I'm a novice at sharpening and the SM works just fine for me with my zdp189.
My suggestion for the second in your budget is the Sage 5 for sure, and if your buddy can't find one in stock then definitely the Native 5 S35VN with G10.
RichWentFishing504

Post by RichWentFishing504 »

Manic 2 XL. It just has to be experienced.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Get the Roc!
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

skaaphaas..I've been thinking about your dilemma and although I still suggest you go with your gut I realized something else too... As this thread illustrates, there may be 25 or more Spydercos you could buy that you will love. That's what Spyderco does. Likely, no matter what 1 or 2 Spydercos you buy right now, you're going to love them... and soon enough you will want more. It's called Spyder-addiction (most of us here are fully afflicted with it) and it's best to recognize it early. :spyder: :) :spyder: Knowing (accepting) you're going to buy more soon anyway makes today's decision much less stressful. Just allow yourself embrace the sickness and be happy my friend.. :p
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Thanks Xplorer. I think I made up my mind. I want to own one "less-common" steel type. So, if I can get the Sage 5 it'll be that and a DFly in ZDP.

If I can't get the Sage, it's going to be the DFly in VG10, and the blurple Manix 2 in S110V.

I'm really hoping to get the Sage. I've had a good look at it and it seems like exactly the knife I want. My three Spydies will then be pretty good all-round: DFly as small sheeple-friendly knife, PM2 as my weekend carry EDC for all the heavier tasks, and the Sage as a sort of gentleman's folder.
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Cogito wrote:Get the Roc!
Looks like an awesome knife, I must say. But not quite what I am looking for at the moment.
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Ran into an obstacle. Knife Center cannot accept payment with my credit card as the billing address and the shipping address are different.

Which of the online retailers use paypal?

Knife Center seems to not be an option anymore.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

I had good luck with my latest purchase at Smoky MKW with paypal.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

That happens to me too. I think that is a paypal issue, not kc. I ship knives to my office all the time from kc, but I use my credit card. You may have to call card company or Paypal and have the shipping address approved.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I would choose:
Dragonfly FRN ZDP-189 (watch pocket scalpel) and Native5 LW S110V (heavy duty horse, trust me on this). These are the best steels for both models. You will need diamond rod for re-profiling. But use will be fun.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
calebj06

Post by calebj06 »

Choices choices.

Here is my newbe uneducated opinion.

The pm2 also seemed too big for me.

I ended up buying a native 5 in g10. You said you prefer g10 so that would work well for you.

I love the native. Fits my hand perfect. The choil gives an awesome grip and the s35vn should be great for actually using.

Paired with a dragon fly and a para 2 that would be one heck of a 3 knife line up. Throw in a cheaper delica and you pretty well have all the bases covered.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Skaaphaas wrote:Ran into an obstacle. Knife Center cannot accept payment with my credit card as the billing address and the shipping address are different.
This is unfortunately a common requirement, even with Paypal, and especially for international buyers. Most retailers will only ship to your credit card billing address, or your paypal physical address, which I think is also your credit card billing address if I remember correctly.

I've been very happy with Knifeworks over the years. They have good prices, excellent service, and provide a cheap but insured shipping option to South Africa, USPS First Class Mail International @ $23. It takes 4-5 weeks to arrive though...

Can you not send the package to your cc billing address?
Hans