Szabo Folder Review (Picture Heavy)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: Szabo Folder Review (Picture Heavy)

Post by Enactive »

The Szabo is gorgeous. I lump it together with the Chinook 4 as a big heavy Spydie that i want but i will probably never get because i just wouldn't carry them.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:23 pm
They get a lot easier to open over time. Cycle the action a few hundred times and keep the pivot oiled. It's a pretty complex pivot, seems to take a bit more oil than more basic knives.
Do you find it constantly needs oil or just during the initial break in period? I’ve got a few knives that seem to need oil/lube on a regular basis and some that never seem to need more. I don’t mind either way, just curious.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
vivi

Post by vivi »

spyderg wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:57 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:23 pm
They get a lot easier to open over time. Cycle the action a few hundred times and keep the pivot oiled. It's a pretty complex pivot, seems to take a bit more oil than more basic knives.
Do you find it constantly needs oil or just during the initial break in period? I’ve got a few knives that seem to need oil/lube on a regular basis and some that never seem to need more. I don’t mind either way, just curious.
I found it required more lube than any other Spyderco folder. The pivot area has a lot more parts moving around than any other folder I've used due to the modified compression lock being used.
:unicorn
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I think it's also that your thumb gets stronger after using the szabo for the awhile. When I first got one I couldn't flick it open without wrist action. After awhile I could do it with just the thumb. Now I'm back to using the wrist.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I could thumb or middle finger flip it out if the box. I can pretty much any knife that has something for a finger or thumb to get purchase on. I posted IG vids (pensackg) of me flicking my slipjoint Kiwi open after discussing it in anther thread somewhere on here.
Was just curious if it’ll be one of those knives that needs oil on a regular basis.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?