Just ordered a Manix 2 G-10.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TN.Frank

Just ordered a Manix 2 G-10.

Post by TN.Frank »

Been going round and round on this, wanted a ParaMilitary 2 then thought about the Manix 2 LW but wasn't sure about the CTS-BD1 steel. I like my Tenacious and picked up a Resilience but wanted a slightly higher end Spyderco so I ended up going with the G-10 version of the Manix 2 because of the S30V steel. Hopefully it'll be here in a couple three days. Once I get it I'll do a YouTube review on my channel. Catch ya'll later. :)
:eek:
SpyderNut

Re: Just ordered a Manix 2 G-10.

Post by SpyderNut »

Congrats on you new Manix, TN.Frank! I'm sure you'll like it. It's a great all-around design. Welcome to the Forum!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Good choice! The Manix 2 was my first US Spyderco, and I still get plenty of good work out of it.

I hope you get your money's worth from it.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Congrats
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderWill

Post by SpyderWill »

I've been looking to get a Manix 2 as well. I'm just stuck between the S30V G10 and the two S110V variants.

Keep us posted on how you like it! It certainly seems like a solid choice from everything I've heard so far.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

I LOVE my Manix 2 blk/blk.
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

TN.Frank wrote:Been going round and round on this, wanted a ParaMilitary 2 then thought about the Manix 2 LW but wasn't sure about the CTS-BD1 steel. I like my Tenacious and picked up a Resilience but wanted a slightly higher end Spyderco so I ended up going with the G-10 version of the Manix 2 because of the S30V steel. Hopefully it'll be here in a couple three days. Once I get it I'll do a YouTube review on my channel. Catch ya'll later. :)
some advice from a novice:

make sure you go through the lower grits fully when sharpening s30v, so that the edge is clean, uniform, acute before you bring it to the fine ceramic, assuming that's what you'll use. Keep a high-angle edge at first, just match what comes from the factory. If you jump to a fine ceramic too soon, you'll be grinding on it forever. Don't press too hard when making a pass or you'll crumble the edge. Its going to take far longer to sharpen properly than the 8cr13mov you're used to.

be careful with diamond stones if you try them. You can easily over-grind an edge, de-form it and produce a massive burr that will destroy your edge retention, because the diamond is so aggressive. Use very light pressure, and the 1200 and above grit DMT's take a few hours to break-in before they're even functional. I've put 3 hours of non-stop passing into an extra-extra-fine dmt and its still not functional due to catastrophic grit contamination (giant chunks of diamond are polluting the advertised smaller grit uniformity, clogging up the stone's ability to sharpen). Not sure how Spyderco's diamond rods are from the factory.

also, don't try to actually sharpen an edge on King waterstones, lol, they are the definition of "muddy". The abrasive readily dislodges from the stone, gets trapped in the water on the surface and constantly plows back into your edge's apex as you're making a pass. Depending on the wear resistance of the steel, you can dull the edge faster than its being sharpened. They're only good for polishing the edge and cleaning the apex in preparation for extremely fine abrasives to finish like a fine or extra-fine ceramic. To that extent, the 6000 grit King is very useful.
TN.Frank

Post by TN.Frank »

My sharpening system of choice is the Work Sharp Field Sharpener. I've been using it at work for the last few months and loved it so much that I picked one up for home use. Here's my YouTube vid on it.

https://youtu.be/xPO7ELRithY
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Good choice TN.Frank and welcome to the forum
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

TN.Frank wrote:My sharpening system of choice is the Work Sharp Field Sharpener. I've been using it at work for the last few months and loved it so much that I picked one up for home use. Here's my YouTube vid on it.

https://youtu.be/xPO7ELRithY
Thanks. I have been wondering about those.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TN.Frank

Post by TN.Frank »

I really love it, I was using it at work(Cabela's here in Glendale, AZ.) for a few months to sharpen customer's knives so I finally broke down and picked one up for home use. I love it because you get a course and fine diamond stone, a course, fine and fish hook ceramic and a small ceramic for serrations and a leather strop so you've got everything in one sharpener. It also has a broadhead wrench if you remove the two diamond stones which are held on my magnets so I'd assume that you can order replacements for them when the diamond wares off.