where is Cliff Stamp?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cliff Stamp

Re: where is Cliff Stamp?

Post by Cliff Stamp »

bearfacedkiller wrote: One more thing. Cliff, whenever you get around to doing a write up on the Maxamet mule I will be eager to read your observations.
I have a few other things I have to do first, I have a knife in 304 stainless for example which is an ideal benchmark, and a 1084 custom hardened knife to be compared to a Paul Bos AEB-L.
There was a thread recently where we were curious about the lower carbon content compared to other similar super high alloy steels.
HSS are not trivial to compare in alloy content because of the complex multi-phases that result during tempering as particular carbides are dissolving while others are forming, the martensite itself is changing phase and then getting effected by the new carbides which precipitate.

In general about the most you can say is that a significant amount of the hardening isn't due to the actual carbon content in the martensite but rather due to strain hardening of the very fine (sub-micron) secondary precipitates. This is why something like M2 can have a hardness of ~67 HRC with a carbon content of ~0.8%.

Modern HSS also tend to focus on MC carbide production as those carbides are smaller and more wear resistant and thus by focusing on the very hard carbide formers you can minimize the required carbide volume for a given wear resistance. Crucible was the first person to really make a public promotion of this (in their literature) .

All of that being said, there isn't any literature I am aware of which says if you don't want the hot hardness then HSS actually are superior cutting tools. Roman argues they have to be inferior due to the way that hardness is achieved and the effect it has on the properties of very thin films. He has data to support this and his conclusions are well supported in some aspects of cutting tool engineering in general.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

RezinB wrote:I would like to see a Cliff designed spyderco fixed blade.
Would it be a chopper? I always thought it was interesting that his testing and preferences seemed to lean towards chopping. I have seen the tests where he has an onion in the kitchen with a Keffler. Good stuff.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Has it really been 2 years since his last post?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:08 pm
Excellent post, tvenuto.

Wear resistance isn't the only factor in choosing a blade steel. In certain applications toughness or corrosion resistance can matter more.

I also appluad Cliff for pointing out the steel needs to fit the design. For example, you can find everything from 2 inch bladed folders to large chopping knives made out of S30V. Is it the right steel for every knife its being used in? I think not.
That's a great point VIVI because I've been screaming from the rooftops for about 4 years now that the ideal properties for blade steels used in Spyderedges ( Spyderco's patented serrations) are somewhat different than many of the steels we find to make a super wicked plain edged application.

Some of the steels that are ideal for Spyderedges don't make the best plain edges. There are a few exceptions like VG-10 which does pretty fair for both edge types and it appears that XHP kind of has that distinction as well.

I too miss Cliff Stamps great input here on the Forum. But I got a feeling that maybe he thought he had preached enough of the Blade Steel Gospel to this group to last for a while. I do get the feeling we will see him back at some point>> and I hope it's sooner rather than later.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Probably never ventures away from his own forum!
I've learned a lot reading his post and watching cliffs and MC videos. Impressive. ...

James
sal

Post by sal »

He's been pretty busy with his "kids' project. He's really humanitarian, in addition to being a knife nut and scientist. I don't see him much even on his own forum.

sal
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:55 pm
He's been pretty busy with his "kids' project. He's really humanitarian, in addition to being a knife nut and scientist. I don't see him much even on his own forum.

sal
As long as he is doing what he loves and found a calling... I’m happy for him
Cave_Hermit

Post by Cave_Hermit »

I’ve read a lot of his posts on a few forums he seems highly intelligent and can come off a bit rude sometimes to some people but I think that if the world was going to end and they had a space shuttle filled with the brightest sparks of humanity he would be on board!
Last edited by Cave_Hermit on Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cave_Hermit

Post by Cave_Hermit »

A collaboration would be very interesting.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Cave_Hermit wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:04 pm
Maybe his forte is refining others designs and having total design control of a mass production knife and the critique that will come with it would be an unnecessary pressure in his life
Nate

Post by Nate »

Recent post on his forum about what he's been up to:

http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/forum/read.php?1,72323
:spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

I've been pushing him for a collaboration for years.

sal
mattman

Post by mattman »

Nate wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:34 pm
Recent post on his forum about what he's been up to:

http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/forum/read.php?1,72323
Thank you!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Cliff might remember me saying that it should be called Quintessence... :)
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Yes even on his own forum his last post was nearly a month ago. His participation has slowed down.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Cave_Hermit

Post by Cave_Hermit »

Dingo wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:16 pm
Cave_Hermit wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:04 pm
Maybe his forte is refining others designs and having total design control of a mass production knife and the critique that will come with it would be an unnecessary pressure in his life
Yeah I can see that.