G8 show report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
remnar

Re: G8 show report

Post by remnar »

Thanks for the excellent report Chad. The hiking pics are also a nice added bonus. :D
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Hey Chad and thanks for putting this report together, very enjoyable read. You definitely deserve a gold star for effort :)

Did you get to handle an Advocate or a Magnitude by any chance?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

remnar wrote:Thanks for the excellent report Chad. The hiking pics are also a nice added bonus. :D
Thanks for the kind words Chad. You've been posting some great hiking pics as well lately! :D
Johnnie1801 wrote:Hey Chad and thanks for putting this report together, very enjoyable read. You definitely deserve a gold star for effort :)

Hi Johnnie1801. Thanks for the gold star :p . The Magnitude and the Advocate were among the first I picked up. Peter Carey and Gayle Bradley are a couple of my favorite makers. Last year I spent an hour talking with Gayle Bradley and he walked me over to the Spyderco booth to check out his soon-to-be-released GB2 and he was excited like a little kid. I was thrilled to have Gayle show me his new knife personally! I also spent time talking with Peter Carey last year, I communicate with him from time to time on-line and I spent some time talking with him again this year. These 2 knives you mentioned are a couple of my most eagerly awaited Spyders!

The Magnitude was everything I have come to expect from a Peter Carey knife. The flipping action (like the Rubicon) has exceptional geometry that makes the blade flip extremely well. The design is robust and the build is very high quality. The handle and blade are larger than a Rubicon. It has the same feel of high quality fit and finish as the Rubicon.
The Advocate was thin in the pocket and flipped comfortably and easily but the blade came out with authority. The handle was comfortable and I loved the "orange peel" finish! The blade was the usual no-nonsense, ready for real use and high performance grind and profile, like all Gayle Bradley blades.
If you have specific questions about either of these knives, let me know and do my best to answer if I can. :)

Best regards,

Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Xplorer wrote:
remnar wrote:Thanks for the excellent report Chad. The hiking pics are also a nice added bonus. :D
Thanks for the kind words Chad. You've been posting some great hiking pics as well lately! :D
Johnnie1801 wrote:Hey Chad and thanks for putting this report together, very enjoyable read. You definitely deserve a gold star for effort :)

Hi Johnnie1801. Thanks for the gold star :p . The Magnitude and the Advocate were among the first I picked up. Peter Carey and Gayle Bradley are a couple of my favorite makers. Last year I spent an hour talking with Gayle Bradley and he walked me over to the Spyderco booth to check out his soon-to-be-released GB2 and he was excited like a little kid. I was thrilled to have Gayle show me his new knife personally! I also spent time talking with Peter Carey last year, I communicate with him from time to time on-line and I spent some time talking with him again this year. These 2 knives you mentioned are a couple of my most eagerly awaited Spyders!

The Magnitude was everything I have come to expect from a Peter Carey knife. The flipping action (like the Rubicon) has exceptional geometry that makes the blade flip extremely well. The design is robust and the build is very high quality. The handle and blade are larger than a Rubicon. It has the same feel of high quality fit and finish as the Rubicon.
The Advocate was thin in the pocket and flipped comfortably and easily but the blade came out with authority. The handle was comfortable and I loved the "orange peel" finish! The blade was the usual no-nonsense, ready for real use and high performance grind and profile, like all Gayle Bradley blades.
If you have specific questions about either of these knives, let me know and do my best to answer if I can. :)

Best regards,

Chad
Did you hear anything about advocate release date?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

swigert wrote:Did you hear anything about advocate release date?
They're pretty reluctant to commit to any dates until a knife is basically ready to ship. I believe Eric said it would arrive very soon but nothing more specific than that. I have a strong feeling I'll have one in my hand before Thanksgiving.
Fanch_Man

Post by Fanch_Man »

Thank you so much for taking the time - what a great write up! It looks like it was a blast, I'd love to make it to a trade show one day.

Count me in as another curious about the Para 3! Since presumably there was a Sage 5 not far from the prototype table, how do the two compare? Specifically in terms of dimensions and functionality. And did you like one over the other?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Fanch_Man wrote:Thank you so much for taking the time - what a great write up! It looks like it was a blast, I'd love to make it to a trade show one day.

Count me in as another curious about the Para 3! Since presumably there was a Sage 5 not far from the prototype table, how do the two compare? Specifically in terms of dimensions and functionality. And did you like one over the other?
Thank you for the kind words Franch_Man! I did not actually hold a Sage 5 at the same time as I held the PM3 (I did hold a PM2 and a PM3 next to each other though). So I didn't really compare PM3 and Sage that directly. However, there's a couple things I can tell you that might help you with that comparison. The PM3 is the same height and thickness as a PM2. The Sage is thinner. The PM3 blade is roughly 1/2" shorter (eyeball measurement) than a PM2 and I want to say the handle is about 1/2" to 3/4" shorter than a PM2. This puts the PM3 length dimensions very close and very comparable to the Sage. But, they're different knives to be sure. The PM3 is still a Paramilitary and you will recognize it as such immediately when you see it. It's just going to fit in the pocket better than the PM2 and IMO it's a great (maybe better) EDC size for most people. I hope that helps a little. ;) :)
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Chad it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. Thanks to everyone who stopped by and visited with us. We had a terrific show- LOTS of fun!

Joyce
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Joyce Laituri wrote:Chad it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. Thanks to everyone who stopped by and visited with us. We had a terrific show- LOTS of fun!

Joyce

Thank you Joyce! It was great to finally meet you and I look forward to seeing all of you again in the future. :)

Best regards,
Chad
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks for the kind words, Chad. Maybe next year we'll make a go of it. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

SpyderNut wrote:Thanks for the kind words, Chad. Maybe next year we'll make a go of it. ;)
:D I hope you can...next year I hope to find something in that Nevada desert that needs to be cut with a Rhino! :D :spyder: It will be all the better if you're there!! ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Xplorer wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Thanks for the kind words, Chad. Maybe next year we'll make a go of it. ;)
:D I hope you can...next year I hope to find something in that Nevada desert that needs to be cut with a Rhino! :D :spyder: It will be all the better if you're there!! ;)
Haha! Thanks man! :) Yes, that would be a heck of a lot of fun! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Xplorer wrote:
PaleMoon wrote:Thank you Chad, really appreciate the report. It would be hard for me to ever make it to one of these shows, but this sure makes me want to!

I also really love the handle you did on that mule. I've been loving all the handles you've been uploading to this forum, actually, and would love to own one should you become a full-time maker :)
Thank you for the kind words PaleMoon. I'd like to be able to make you a handle one day... Check with me next time you buy a Mule...you never know what might be possible. ;)
This certainly is not falling on deaf ears :D
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.