Custom blades for Spyderco knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WompusTheCat

Custom blades for Spyderco knives

Post by WompusTheCat »

I am interested in purchasing a customized blade for a paramilitary 2 frame so I'm curious wether anybody knows of any good sources/manufacturers with regard to finding one?

And more generally, what is a good source for buying replacement spyderco parts?

Thanks in advance.
Blerv

Re: Custom blades for Spyderco knives

Post by Blerv »

The most efficient path would be to mod the current blade with slow grinding and constant cooling.

To have a custom blade made you really would be contacting a custom maker up to the job. This is going to range from expensive to extremely expensive, assuming they would have the time to do it and want to take on the task.

Parts are generally covered by the warranty. They can't really be purchased as far as I know from SFO. My guess is most people who re-scale knives have a variety of screws.

IMHO, Spyderco should sell a bag full of screws and a new clip for each knife. Even if it was like $15 and came with a million disclaimers about voided warranties it would be one-stop shopping.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I know it adds to the costs, but it seems like supply an extra couple of screws with knife purchase (at least on expensive models) would be a cool thing to do.

I'm not aware of anyone who makes replacement blades for Spyderco knives, it could be custom made but that's pricey. Depending on what you're seeking, modifying a current blade would be the easiest solution.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the forum, WompusTheCat. :)

I'll +1 on what Cujobob and Blake said. Regarding the custom blade for the PM2, it theoretically *could* be done, but would likely require a skilled knifemaker and also someone to make a new compression locking liner so that the tolerances would be within appropriate spec with the new blade.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cujobob wrote:I know it adds to the costs, but it seems like supply an extra couple of screws with knife purchase (at least on expensive models) would be a cool thing to do.

I'm not aware of anyone who makes replacement blades for Spyderco knives, it could be custom made but that's pricey. Depending on what you're seeking, modifying a current blade would be the easiest solution.
This is really an interesting thread and a very interesting concept as well. Because about a year or so ago I raised the possibility of Spyderco themselves offering a service to make a Spyderedged blade for models that don't offer Spyderedge as an option. For instance many people here like myself love the C-111 Captain model. But seriously I've owned and carried two of them in the past 8 years but I know that knife would be 70% of a better cutting machine if it were available in Spyderedge.

Now what this thread is asking for is along the same lines but not necessarily of the same ilk. But still let's say that a guy buys his first C-36 Military model for the very first time and let's say he is willing to shell out some dollars for maybe a Damascus blade for the Military model. To me it's a "win-win" situation for Spyderco and the end line consumer/user too. They could probably have one person operate that section of the company and even if they had to contract some custom knife maker to produce some of these exotic blades just think of the possibilities.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's definitely doable, but at what cost? Someone like Mick Strider for examplle who routinely makes custom Striders probably has the skill to make a blade from scratch that will match any lock Spyderco makes, but I'm sure it's going to cost you a pretty penny. The other issue is going to be convincing someone like Strider to spend their time making such a blade when they're already making their own products (for the record, I think you'd have better luck learning to forge a blade yourself than hoping another knife maker would make a blade for your Spyderco).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum, WompusTheCat. I think your best bet for a custom blade would be to commission one from someone who does custom grinding/modifying of Spyderco's.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As noted, Spyderco does not sell parts, so a custom maker would be your only option. Will just add that, if you're planning on having a custom blade made, rather than just finding someone to modify your knife's existing blade, then they really should be licensed to use the Spyderhole opener.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I've not heard of anyone making blades for Spyderco knives but I saw Kevin Wilkins is making blades for the Benchmade Griptillian. I guess anything is possible, just have to find the right person.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

This can theoretically be done, but a few considerations:

1. This will be very expensive. The cost of the new blade will likely rival the cost of a new full custom. Though the PM2 is a great design, I personally would always rather have a full custom to my specs than a production knife with a custom blade.
2. You are unlikely to get large gains in utility from buying a custom blade. Spyderco already has great grinds, great heat treat, great steels, and great blade shape. A custom might actually cut worse than the factory blade.
3. You can certainly have spyderco blades modded to have a thinner grind, thinner edge, serrations, wharncliffe (losing a bit of length), flat blade spine, rounded spine, filework, etc.
4. Getting custom scales is a much better value proposition. There is a reason that you can't really find new blades for knives online. The blade is the heart of the knife.
WompusTheCat

Post by WompusTheCat »

Thank you to all who've responded to my question.
Now regarding what's been said, I was pretty confident that getting such a blade made wouldn't be cheap and the consensus seems to be either (A)- modify an existing Spyderco blade, or (B)- get an entirely custom knife...

With regard to (A):
1. Would it be possible to modify a blade from a regular military model in order to fit a para 2 mechanism/handle?
2. In terms of getting an existing blade modified, are there any companies/individuals you can recommend contacting?

With regard to (B):
1. Are there any companies/individuals that make entirely custom Spyderco knives?
The only one I've heard of is 'CustomSpyderco', so I'm curious wether anybody has any comments regarding their services.
2. Looking beyond Spyderco, is there any sought of database for commercial knives (custom or factory), that have Damasteel blades?

As always,
Thanks in advance.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

WompusTheCat wrote:Thank you to all who've responded to my question.
Now regarding what's been said, I was pretty confident that getting such a blade made wouldn't be cheap and the consensus seems to be either (A)- modify an existing Spyderco blade, or (B)- get an entirely custom knife...

With regard to (A):
1. Would it be possible to modify a blade from a regular military model in order to fit a para 2 mechanism/handle?
2. In terms of getting an existing blade modified, are there any companies/individuals you can recommend contacting?

With regard to (B):
1. Are there any companies/individuals that make entirely custom Spyderco knives?
The only one I've heard of is 'CustomSpyderco', so I'm curious wether anybody has any comments regarding their services.
2. Looking beyond Spyderco, is there any sought of database for commercial knives (custom or factory), that have Damasteel blades?

As always,
Thanks in advance.
(A) 1. I'd say it would be highly unlikely. You're talking two different locks, which dictate entirely different tang shapes. If you look at the pictures of the tangs for Reeve or Walker locks on this page, and compare them with the tang of the compression lock's blade, you should be able to see the problem.

(A) 2. Not specifically, but I know there are a number of them out there. The knifemaker's area on BladeForums might be a good place to inquire.

(B) 1. Yes, and no. No ethical maker is going to flat out copy a Spyderco, but there are a number of makers licensed to use the Spyderhole opener on their knifes. Some have done collaborations with Spyderco and will build you a custom version of their design, some will build you a knife to your own design if they feel it's feasible. If your wish list includes a compression lock, your choices may be very limited as I'm fairly sure only a couple makers are licensed to use that.

(B) 2. No specific database, per se, that I'm aware of. However, if you Google Damasteel knives a number of them, past and current, will be shown.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Another consideration if you are in love with the lock is that Smockknives licenses the compression lock from Spyderco. I recall a couple other makers do too (Brad Southard?).

They are limited to a certain number of these a year. The Smock would be around $600. Another custom maker who licenses the lock would prob be even more expensive if it's not a Ti slab knife.

If you are looking for the full PM package I would just hope Spyderco comes out with a sprint or variation. Or of course uses the lock with a similar philosophy. The Lil Temp2 for example.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi WompusTheCat,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Welcome to the forum Wompus. Out of curiosity, what kind of blade are you looking for?
WompusTheCat

Post by WompusTheCat »

Surfingringo wrote:Welcome to the forum Wompus. Out of curiosity, what kind of blade are you looking for?
Hello n thnx for the greeting.

With regard to your question,
As yet I'm not set on any one design/geometry or material for a blade, so long as it is compatible with the Spyderco model its intended for.
To give a more specific example, I am looking to get a Para 2 compatible blade made out of Damasteel.