Manix 2 C101PGY2 W/ Maxamet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: Manix 2 C101PGY2 W/ Maxamet

Post by Ankerson »

It's going to be nice to see what people think once it's out and in peoples hands. :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Skidoosh wrote:Anyone want to hazard an MSRP?
109.95 -- Maxamet mule
-89.95 -- S110V mule
_20.00

113.95 -- S110V lightweight Manix2
+20.00
133.95 ?? :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
TheSpur22

Post by TheSpur22 »

Bento Box has MSRP listed at $269.95
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

TheSpur22 wrote:Bento Box has MSRP listed at $269.95
Yes I just saw that. $10 less than the MSRP of a Mantra...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Cujobob wrote:I don't mean to say the LW aren't fine knives, but to me, the other models are more comfortable and less prone to issues. The Japanese FRN is fairly comfortable, I don't find the harder feeling FRCP quite so comfortable
+1
For me, the "harder feeling" comes from the ridge on the edges, which I've pretty much got used to. After all, my favorite G-10 knives are also rectangular with corners in cross section, though I very much appreciate it when the edges are chamfered or rounded over, which is happening less these days. Maybe it's just me, but I really can't tell any difference in the feel of the FRCP Manix versus the square cornered FRN Native 5.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DougC-3 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I really can't tell any difference in the feel of the FRCP Manix versus the square cornered FRN Native 5.
Same here! They feel the same to me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

If that's the right MSRP which I guess it must be, then MAP would be $161.97... I'm still in for one, but that makes the mule look like an even better deal than I thought... but I'll still hold out for the folder because I'll get a lot more use out of it. I wish all the mules could be simultaneously released as a lightweight Manix :p but I know that wouldn't be feasible :o I don't wanna look a gift mule in the mouth.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

DougC-3 wrote:
If that's the right MSRP which I guess it must be, then MAP would be $161.97... I'm still in for one, but that makes the mule look like an even better deal than I thought... but I'll still hold out for the folder because I'll get a lot more use out of it. I wish all the mules could be simultaneously released as a lightweight Manix :p but I know that wouldn't be feasible :o I don't wanna look a gift mule in the mouth.

Mules are much simpler to produce. No assembly, one part. The only reason I didn't pick up the maxamet mule is due to waiting on a knife with that steel instead because one only needs so many fixed blades around the house.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Cujobob wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:

Mules are much simpler to produce. No assembly, one part. The only reason I didn't pick up the maxamet mule is due to waiting on a knife with that steel instead because one only needs so many fixed blades around the house.
Or folders for that matter.... Oh wait :eek:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sharp Guy wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I really can't tell any difference in the feel of the FRCP Manix versus the square cornered FRN Native 5.
They feel exactly alike to me, while both feeling different than Japan's frn.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

abbazaba wrote:
Cujobob wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:

HaHa :D I can put at least one folder each in all ten pockets :cool: :rolleyes: -- that's difficult with fixies :p
swigert

Post by swigert »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
They feel exactly alike to me, while both feeling different than Japan's frn.

Feels the same to me also.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

abbazaba wrote:
Cujobob wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:

Nah, I can always carry a folding knife. People are so unused to seeing fixed blades in public that I wouldn't use it outside of my own property. I do have more folding knives than needed, but they all get their turn :P
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

DougC-3 wrote:
Yea I mean the mule was $20 more expensive than the next most expensive mule, and that was S110V, so I expected a higher MSRP. The mules have always been a great deal, that's for sure.
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

Can anyone speculate on how brittle or chippy this would be versus S110V? Love my Manix LW but the blade seems to constantly chip even cutting twine.
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mr. Danger,

Welcome to our forum.

Many of the steels that we work with have not been used as knife blades. We "experiment" with them so you can get an opportunity to experience the material without paying custom prices. Maxamet is the most expensive steel we have ever purchased and was requested by our ELU's here. It has also been highly recommended by some of the experts that visit our forum, though few have experienced the steel. The chemistry is extra ordinary and the material is userd to make rollers for rolling hot steel.

We use the hardness recommended by the experts. Sometimes steels need a wider or narrower edge angle. It is our hope that the customers enjoy the opportunity to get to use the steel and will share feedback and solutions.

sal
mattman

Post by mattman »

Mr Danger wrote:Can anyone speculate on how brittle or chippy this would be versus S110V? Love my Manix LW but the blade seems to constantly chip even cutting twine.
I only have the PM2 in S110V, and haven't had any chipping issues... admittedly light edc usage... but I also read this forum, and bf daily, and can't recall much complaint about "chippyness"...

How are you sharpening? And at what angles?
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

mattman wrote:
Mr Danger wrote:Can anyone speculate on how brittle or chippy this would be versus S110V? Love my Manix LW but the blade seems to constantly chip even cutting twine.
I only have the PM2 in S110V, and haven't had any chipping issues... admittedly light edc usage... but I also read this forum, and bf daily, and can't recall much complaint about "chippyness"...

How are you sharpening? And at what angles?
I originally went 30 on the sharpmaker from medium to ultrafine then stropped. Edge was perfect. I cut at the most some slices of bread on a paper plate and then a piece of twine on a hay bale and there was suddenly 3 large chips. I read that the S110V can have chipping if sharpened too fine so I tried it at 40 on the medium stones and got a good edge but then another chip appeared at the back of the back of the blade despite not cutting anything other than a tomato off a vine. Not sure what to think.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Mr Danger wrote:I originally went 30 on the sharpmaker from medium to ultrafine then stropped. Edge was perfect. I cut at the most some slices of bread on a paper plate and then a piece of twine on a hay bale and there was suddenly 3 large chips. I read that the S110V can have chipping if sharpened too fine so I tried it at 40 on the medium stones and got a good edge but then another chip appeared at the back of the back of the blade despite not cutting anything other than a tomato off a vine. Not sure what to think.
You might be fatiguing the edge with the strop. Maybe omit this step, do a very few light passes at 40 deg on sharpmaker to create a microbevel and see if that solves the issue. It's not clear whether you stropped in your second example as well.
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

tvenuto wrote:
Mr Danger wrote:I originally went 30 on the sharpmaker from medium to ultrafine then stropped. Edge was perfect. I cut at the most some slices of bread on a paper plate and then a piece of twine on a hay bale and there was suddenly 3 large chips. I read that the S110V can have chipping if sharpened too fine so I tried it at 40 on the medium stones and got a good edge but then another chip appeared at the back of the back of the blade despite not cutting anything other than a tomato off a vine. Not sure what to think.
You might be fatiguing the edge with the strop. Maybe omit this step, do a very few light passes at 40 deg on sharpmaker to create a microbevel and see if that solves the issue. It's not clear whether you stropped in your second example as well.
No strop. Just mediums at 40. I saw people say S110V works better coarse because sharpening too fine can "knock carbon loose". I dunno...