5 years 1 knife, what would you choose?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: 5 years 1 knife, what would you choose?

Post by farnorthdan »

My Cruwear Military with micarta scales, that knife is so perfect.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Dragonfly Salt SE.
It can go almost everywhere legally, its always sharp, and its ergos are fantastic.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Been carrying my Caly 3.5 (amongst others) routinely for 5 years now, and it's been my favorite edc. However if it could only be 1 knife for 5 years, I'd go with the se Pacific Salt as I need a folder for regular use around saltwater.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is a related question: IF someone were to offer you personally a brand new Spyderco TATANKA, and they wanted you to carry it for five years as your ONLY every day carry knife, and you literally could not carry any other every day carry knife, you had to carry and use the Tatanka on a regular basis, would you be able to handle that, and use it, or would it be too much blade and too much bulk for you? PS and at the end of the five years you could put it aside and switch to any other knife.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Here is a related question: IF someone were to offer you personally a brand new Spyderco TATANKA, and they wanted you to carry it for five years as your ONLY every day carry knife, and you literally could not carry any other every day carry knife, you had to carry and use the Tatanka on a regular basis, would you be able to handle that, and use it, or would it be too much blade and too much bulk for you? PS and at the end of the five years you could put it aside and switch to any other knife.
^ NOPE!!! There's no way I'd be interested in carrying that beast even for free.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DM11

Post by DM11 »

Military!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

benben wrote:Wegner Jr.
way to come with the deep cuts, Wegner Jr., kind of reminds of the stretch g10 a little no?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:1 Does it have to be a presently available model? If no, if it can be any Spyderco, I would pick either a Caspian Salt pointed or a D`Allara combo edge.

If currently available, a Pacific Salt serrated edge.
Any Spyderco past or present.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

SpyderNut wrote:Ladybug (of any variation)
A bold choice sir. I've got an h1 ladybug and a zdp manbug, even though they wouldn't be my personal choice for the next five years, you could totally do it.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

Hap40 Delica
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:Hap40 Delica
My own pick would be the HAP-40 Delica 4 I just ordered tonight :D I paid too much but I couldn't pass on picking one up while there's still a few left.

A lot of people like the Delica 4, but the Military has earned the most nods so far I think. Was surprised to see the Slyze Bowie make the list as many times as it did. Thanks to all for playing along. :spyder:

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Out of my current stable probably the K2 or my old trusty CF S90V military. After carrying the K2 the military seems to be a little small for my hand. I would definitely miss my H1 SE spyderhawk for those 5 yrs though as it's been my reliable companion for so long. Hawkbills have their limitations though, especially for food.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sharp Guy wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Here is a related question: IF someone were to offer you personally a brand new Spyderco TATANKA, and they wanted you to carry it for five years as your ONLY every day carry knife, and you literally could not carry any other every day carry knife, you had to carry and use the Tatanka on a regular basis, would you be able to handle that, and use it, or would it be too much blade and too much bulk for you? PS and at the end of the five years you could put it aside and switch to any other knife.
^ NOPE!!! There's no way I'd be interested in carrying that beast even for free.
Nor I, and I have one.

Got mine for the PowerLock and that huge slab of gorgeous VG10 steel.

The knife's size makes the traditional hourglass clip look ridiculous. Were I to carry this knife, it would be in a pack, not on my person.

While I have no regrets getting it, the Tatanka does reveal the problems of scaling.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Police 3 probably. It carries very well on an every day basis, but is actually enough knife for yard work and gardening.

I had to cut some holes in the bottom of an injection molded, dense, plastic foam garden pot. The strong lock up and FFG blade made it easy.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
A bold choice sir. I've got an h1 ladybug and a zdp manbug, even though they wouldn't be my personal choice for the next five years, you could totally do it.
;)

Lol, it was a bit hard for me to admit that a Ladybug would be all that I needed for the next five + years. Thanks to my mundane desk job, I have precious few occasions to test drive my pocket knives. :( I actually have to search for things to cut on a daily basis, lol. My wife and I don't cook, so I don't even have opportunities to utilize knives in the kitchen. (On that note, I have a brand new set of beautiful Wusthof kitchen knives just sitting on the counter gathering dust. :o).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

SpyderNut wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
;)

Lol, it was a bit hard for me to admit that a Ladybug would be all that I needed for the next five + years. Thanks to my mundane desk job, I have precious few occasions to test drive my pocket knives. :( I actually have to search for things to cut on a daily basis, lol. My wife and I don't cook, so I don't even have opportunities to utilize knives in the kitchen. (On that note, I have a brand new set of beautiful Wusthof kitchen knives just sitting on the counter gathering dust. :o).
Have you tried whittling? You could use your Ladybug to carve a Delica out of wood :D . On one level I'm right there with you, I don't have nearly enough things to cut in my day to day life to justify the many knives I own. But that won't stop me from buying more, I got my first swiss army knife when I was 7 and I've been collecting with enthusiasm ever since. I'd really love to get to a spot financially where I could move somewhere with a garage and try to make a few fixed blades on my own.

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm gonna say too much knife for a 5 year run. It would get old fast. too heavy in the pocket, too scary to take out in public. There are plenty of times I would carry a Tatanka, but not EDC.

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

If it was in H1 or LC200N, sure. Otherwise, I would run into issues cutting around saltwater.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

farnorthdan wrote:My Cruwear Military with micarta scales, that knife is so perfect.

Beautiful!!!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost? I think I would like to get this done, but in black. If you would rather, please PM me. It looks awesome.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Cogito wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:My Cruwear Military with micarta scales, that knife is so perfect.

Beautiful!!!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost? I think I would like to get this done, but in black. If you would rather, please PM me. It looks awesome.
No problem and thanks, this is where http://g10.lt/?p=3362 if I remember right it was around $80-$90, took a couple months to get but I'm sure it varies well worth the wait though, perfect F&F, I ended up using mineral oil on mine to darken them up some.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."