Spyderco and heat-treat consistency

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: Spyderco and heat-treat consistency

Post by Ankerson »

bpahk wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:Since it's heat treated in sheet form, before the blades are cut out by laser, maybe large, near identical batches are possible.
is this really true? I would have thought HT would come after blades are cut out and ground to avoid excessive wear on their belts grinding hardened steel..

The positives would out weigh the negatives doing it that way.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Ankerson wrote:
bpahk wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:Since it's heat treated in sheet form, before the blades are cut out by laser, maybe large, near identical batches are possible.
is this really true? I would have thought HT would come after blades are cut out and ground to avoid excessive wear on their belts grinding hardened steel..

The positives would out weigh the negatives doing it that way.
I think I probably misinterpreted what Sal said in this post below from another thread -- Heat treatment and processing for ZDP-189: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70758

I thought he was implying that heat treat was being done before the blades were cut out, but the comment about grinding I guess indicates the contrary, at least with very hard steels:
sal wrote:
zhyla wrote:You don't buy steel stock already heat treated, it would be impossible to cut.
These days, most cutting is done with lasers, so cutting is not a problem. The problem is grinding hardened steels. Some are ok but some are too hard.

sal
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Original post was edited to add SPAM.. :rolleyes:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

blackcats wrote:Edited by TazKristi - Just when you think you've seen it all... a spammer who copies a post from a different forum and then comes back 24 hours (ish) later to edit said post and add spam links... that's a new one. OP has been banned, but I think the discussion that follows has merit so I'm keeping it intact. SMH...Taz
Kristi,

I knew it wasn't the same person who posted it on the other forum so I was watching it.

Haven't seen that one done in awhile.

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I may ask the hardness of the steel of new releases but it's for sure not out of concern about the heat treat. I've been satisfied for over twenty years that the heat treat selected is appropriate for the jobs intended for the designs sold. Spyderco is a performance cutlery manufacturer and the heat treats selected are just right IMO. The hardness's are usually decently high for even custom makers and the consistency from knife to knife is not something I can tell any difference with in knives I have more than one of. That is good enough quality for me.

Joe