Quest for the Holy Grail

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: Quest for the Holy Grail

Post by farnorthdan »

wrdwrght wrote:I think I won't know my grail knife until I see it. And isn't it fun that my Spydies have accumulated in consequence...

Somehow I've been oblivious to Country Knives. They actually stock what they list?
They do, I've grabbed a couple from them over the years, I actually got my 3.5 SB Caly from them a year or two back for about what they were selling for on the secondary market. I also grabbed my JD Smith sprint from them. I will say though that both were CC pieces so I'm pretty sure they get have at least a few subscriptions.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thanks, Dan.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The only Spyderco of recent vintage that I searched for and finally bought was a Manix 2 XL. I loved the blade shape, but it had two problems. One, the lock was terrible. It took two hands and my hands are big. The second issue was that it was a bit small in the grip because of the rear pommel guard. My hand was actually a bit cramped. I was very disappointed and ended up selling it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
corwyn

Post by corwyn »

I'll hijack this thread for a bit guys...
I am looking for a jigged bone/damascus Delica (preferably blue) at a decent price (up to 200 USD)... I'll have to sell off my Salt and Tenacious to afford it so can't go much higher... did anyone see one of these in stock somewhere under MSRP price (I see them getting sold on forms and ebay at 130 USD and it drives me crazy I missed those).

Also what sheath with clip do you think I could use with it to supplent the lack of pocket clip?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

corwyn wrote:I'll hijack this thread for a bit guys...
This thread has already been hijacked, chopped up, and sold for parts. Apparently people thought it was to talk about a potential grail knife, or to talk about a knife they consider a grail, instead of a place to post sites selling disco'd models that someone might consider a grail. To be fair, finding those sites would probably be infrequent, and the thread wouldn't have gotten all that much discussion.

Also, want to buy/want to sell posts are prohibited here, and your post could be viewed as either of those so you might want to rephrase. Just a word to the wise.
swigert

Post by swigert »

tvenuto wrote:
corwyn wrote:I'll hijack this thread for a bit guys...
This thread has already been hijacked, chopped up, and sold for parts. Apparently people thought it was to talk about a potential grail knife, or to talk about a knife they consider a grail, instead of a place to post sites selling disco'd models that someone might consider a grail. To be fair, finding those sites would probably be infrequent, and the thread wouldn't have gotten all that much discussion.

Also, want to buy/want to sell posts are prohibited here, and your post could be viewed as either of those so you might want to rephrase. Just a word to the wise.
Looking for an M4 Mule, country knives is a no go.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

At this point, how difficult would it be to get a FIRST GENERATION Spyderco Worker, the ones made literally right after the prototype stage, when they were manufactured for sale?

Wow, I saw one on Ebay being sold, if real, for 395 dollars.

I wish Spyderco would make a sprint run of these made in exactly the same way as the original, not any updates at all, except, perhaps, in modern VG10 steel, or something akin to it.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Because of my enthusiasm for motorcycles, my grail was the Renegade which ultimately I found on eBay.

The reluctance of the Company to allow trading on this forum is understandable. However, allow me to suggest that a vigorous market in previously enjoyed knives fosters the sale of new knives. Knowing that a used knife can be sold easily to provide money for a new acquisition has supercharged the entire knife industry. That is why new car dealers have used car lots.

In the case of Spydie aficionados, we have to take our business to other forums or sites like eBay or Amazon. In so doing, there is the risk we will hear the siren call of another brand and our treasure might be diverted away from the Company.

Recommend that the Company add a Spyderco knife exchange board to the forum on a trial basis. This would "keep it in the family". See how it goes. If abused or found to be not in the best interests of the Company it could be shut down.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Mad Mac wrote:Because of my enthusiasm for motorcycles, my grail was the Renegade which ultimately I found on eBay.

The reluctance of the Company to allow trading on this forum is understandable. However, allow me to suggest that a vigorous market in previously enjoyed knives fosters the sale of new knives. Knowing that a used knife can be sold easily to provide money for a new acquisition has supercharged the entire knife industry. That is why new car dealers have used car lots.

In the case of Spydie aficionados, we have to take our business to other forums or sites like eBay or Amazon. In so doing, there is the risk we will hear the siren call of another brand and our treasure might be diverted away from the Company.

Recommend that the Company add a Spyderco knife exchange board to the forum on a trial basis. This would "keep it in the family". See how it goes. If abused or found to be not in the best interests of the Company it could be shut down.
I 100% agree. I think a for sale should be trialled. I think for it to work with their current employer structure though would have to be to have forum members that are not employees help the moderation.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am with you guys, Mad Mac and swigert, absolutely yes I agree. In the end, I am with whatever and however Sal and their crew decide to maintain the forums, but, I think this is a splendid idea. And I like that you suggest it would be connected to but not another part of this forum. That seems like a great idea. And it could have sections like "Want to Buy" "Want to Sell" "Want to Trade" or however. It could also be a big help for those in countries where purchasing a Spyderco knife from an already-established store would be more difficult, as in, shipping costs or whatever?
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

The best sites I've found for the occasional discontinued model are the usual suspects, Lamnia of Finland, Country Knives, and Bento Box Shop.

BBS's selection of older models isn't quite as extensive as it use to be. Same with Lamnia, although things like Ti ATRs sometimes make an appearance there.

Country Knives still have quite a few old models.

Arizona Custom Knives has quite a few Spyderco products on hand right now.

As far as brick and mortars, Edgeworks in Frederick, MD and Frisco Rod and Gun in Frisco, NC (on Hatteras Island OBX) have some good older models in stock.

The Spyderco Facebook group has the occasional rare model up for sale/trade. That's where I got my Chinook 1 and Gunting.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Mad Mac wrote:Because of my enthusiasm for motorcycles, my grail was the Renegade which ultimately I found on eBay.

This.