Scale Materials for potential Kopa run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Materials for potential Kopa run

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

paladin, wow your idea for an actual spider embedded in amber, even a fake one, one realistic one made of plastic, would be a VERY COOL feature on a high end Spyderco knife. Great idea.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

tvenuto wrote: And I can appreciate those who like Damascus blades, it's just never been my thing.
Damascus blade will only complicate things. Some people like Damascus and some people don't. Even more, some of the people, who like Damascus will not like chosen pattern.
I think that to make things more simple I would stick to SS bolsters and satin blade. Old good VG10.
Let talk scale materials.
And 2mm thin blade stock :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

bh49 wrote:
tvenuto wrote: And I can appreciate those who like Damascus blades, it's just never been my thing.
Damascus blade will only complicate things. Some people like Damascus and some people don't. Even more, some of the people, who like Damascus will not like chosen pattern.
I think that to make things more simple I would stick to SS bolsters and satin blade. Old good VG10.
Let talk scale materials.
And 2mm thin blade stock :)
"Damascus blade will only complicate things." -- I could be wrong (common for me) - but I'm going to remind us what got this string started --
" I offer for consideration --- the Damascus Kopa - include previously popular scales along with some 'New & Shiny' model scales. I'll take the 1st one of each of the various scales."

To which Sal replied:

Re: Kopa nut
Postby sal » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:25 am

Hi Jerry,
I must say that we have gotten some very nice samples from them recently and so I'm thinking positively.
sal

I agree concerning nice shiny, new scales - I even said so in the above post. Spyderco has a blade shape/scale material to satisfy most every consumer out there. Only a very few (of anything) will become a classic. Kopa's unique combination specs - blade style, blade thickness (one of my favorite specs for a knife of kopa's smallness), bolsters, precision fit and finish make the Kopa among the most collectible of all of spyderco's knives.
If all that is done is make new scales - for what reason? How many of us own all the Kopa's currently available? Make the blade thinner, solid Ti scales, etc. - if you do some of those things you're not far from a Caly or one of the many similar knife formats Spyderco already offers.
Of course if we were to selectively post the quote that supports our position I offer for your reading pleasure --

Postby ronT2 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:08 am

Nothing would convince me to pry my wallet open faster than a Damascus Kopa with cocobolo, burl or some other medium to dark colored wood with a unique grain. Snake wood and leopard wood also look very interesting.
clovisc

Re: Scale Materials for potential Kopa run

Post by clovisc »

1. Koa
2. Damascus
3. Lignum Vitae
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

The Deacon wrote:As I just posted in the other thread, my choice would be natural material.

Stabilized woods:
Masur Birch
Snakewood
Lacewood
Birdseye Maple
Desert Ironwood
Curly Maple
Curly Koa

Animala byproducts:
Camel bone
Bison bone
Sambar Stag
Shed elk antler
Rams horn
Buffalo horm
Bison horn
Stabilized alligator, crocodile, armadillo skin

Stone:
Malachite
Lapis Lazuli
Yule Marble (Colorado's State Rock)
As a massive Kopa fan and a fan of natural materials the above all sound like excellent choices.
In fact I had some Kopas already made in various materials per the list above. And they look fantastic :)
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

richardtran

Post by richardtran »

I missed the original Kopa run, so I'd be happy with anything.
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

ozspyder wrote:Image
Those are some mighty fine looking scales - I'm partial to the wood (organic) - but it demonstrates the many possibilities for new and shiny scales. I've already indicated my fondness for Damascus -- a new and unique Damascus with ZDP-189 as the core material sandwiched between non or lightly etched Damascus - that would be the cat's pajamas (cat's pajamas, that's waaay back). --------- But - if the blade were to remain non-Damascus I would like to see the blade steel changed to ZDP-189. JMO. I would buy one giraffe bone zdp-189 and be fixed.

Regards, Jerry
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

My vote would go for deep, complex burls or ivory micarta.

Abalone, if done right, can also be amazing :)
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Oz, I was looking at these pics a few weeks ago in a much older Kopa thread and I'm very glad you posted them again here! Those are ridiculously AMAZING! Wow! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Oz, I was looking at these pics a few weeks ago in a much older Kopa thread and I'm very glad you posted them again here! Those are ridiculously AMAZING! Wow! Cheers, Radioactive :)
All these have been pimped by Tonydahose :D
He did an amazing job/s for me. I'm going to try and hit him up for more work later when I get even more (very expensive Kopa donors).

Paul/ Deacon - I'm trying to get some Golden or Green Ancient Kauri and have been trying for years. Might give Totara Burl a go as well if I can source some.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Deacon proposed a great list. Natural materials would be my preference as well.

Add in a vote for no clip from me as well!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

FWIW I'd prefer a natural material as well, preferably one (any) of the nice woods that has been mentioned in this thread.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

One additional thought - stabilized conifer cone. Quite a dramatic look. If you've never seen it, Google "stabilized pine cone knife scales". Would be super special if the cones came from trees on Spyderco's property, or the Glesser's yard, or the yards of some of Spyderco's employees.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

The Deacon wrote:One additional thought - stabilized conifer cone. Quite a dramatic look. If you've never seen it, Google "stabilized pine cone knife scales". Would be super special if the cones came from trees on Spyderco's property, or the Glesser's yard, or the yards of some of Spyderco's employees.
Fine looking scales!

Regards, Jerry