Scale Materials for potential Kopa run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Scale Materials for potential Kopa run

Post by bh49 »

The Man asked a question about materials for potential Kopa run(s)
sal wrote:The Kopa was designed to explore varieties of handle materials. The project was halted because the maker was not able to work with the materials that we wanted.

So just for the sake of discussion; let's create a list of materials that could be possible.

sal
My wish: natural materials: woods (treated, if necessary), bones, stag, corals. I really want malachite and olive wood.
Last edited by bh49 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Materials for potential Kopa run

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Based on what I see in the Kopa design, a combination of Olive Wood with some gemstone would be great. Good point, bh49.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As I just posted in the other thread, my choice would be natural material.

Stabilized woods:
Masur Birch
Snakewood
Lacewood
Birdseye Maple
Desert Ironwood
Curly Maple
Curly Koa

Animala byproducts:
Camel bone
Bison bone
Sambar Stag
Shed elk antler
Rams horn
Buffalo horm
Bison horn
Stabilized alligator, crocodile, armadillo skin

Stone:
Malachite
Lapis Lazuli
Yule Marble (Colorado's State Rock)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Basically what he said ^^
Loads of beautiful timbers to choose from, and endless varietys of inlays possible. Mammoth ivory would be great, as would horn, both black and brown/honey opaque
Bone would maybe be too close to the camel bone / Pacific Blue original Kopas to be really interesting?
Maybe a flame colored ti scale would be nice too?
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm a huge fan of wood. Cocobolo was great due to it's distinctive red color. I really like desert ironwood and lignum vitae. There are also a bunch of interesting looking burls out there, but I don't love the dyed versions.

I also thought the CF inlay "worked" from a visual perspective, so there's any number of nice "tech" materials that you could do. C-tech comes to mind, although I don't know if the metal cell material can poke out of the polymer.

Bone/horn is classic, of course, and the camel bone Kopa was among my favorites. I've never liked the look of jigged bone, though.

Just some musings, I didn't really look into what is possible.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

So many nice woods to choose from BUT: a well-figured classic high-grade walnut would be favourite.
Nicely oiled up like a classic English shotgun stock.....Plus there's plenty to be found from stockmakers.....Amazed it's not come up before.

Olivewood is great with a bit of figure....but I've seen plenty that's that's plain and little 'Ikea' in it's colouration.

Bone and other stuff from animals I'm not so big on....other of pearl is always a treat, but it's been done before in the Kopa.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Burls. Just about any of 'em with good figuring.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Off the top of my head, here are some of my favorite woods (in no particular order):

1. Purple heart
2. Osage orange
3. Snakewood
4. Padauk
5. Zebra wood
6. Leopard wood
7. Bird's eye maple
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

Not to forget the original string that started this discussion was -- the making of a Damascus Kopa to which I 'believe' --

"sal wrote:
Hi Jerry,
I must say that we have gotten some very nice samples from them recently and so I'm thinking positively.
sal"

Deacon covered it well -- truth is there are numerous wood, animal, stone materials options -- cut, polished, died -- the list is long.
Not to mention the possibility of Custom bolsters --
I tend to prefer organic type scale material.
Deacon mentioned armadillo - I made armadillo scales for a North American arms pistol I have, they look 'great'.

Me, I would love to have a Damascus Kopa with Mammoth tusk scales.

Regards, Jerry
Attachments
scales pistol a 4 sml.jpg
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

I'd also like to see some stabilized highly figured exotic wood scales.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Nothing would convince me to pry my wallet open faster than a Damascus Kopa with cocobolo, burl or some other medium to dark colored wood with a unique grain. Snake wood and leopard wood also look very interesting.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

+1 for natural materials. Great suggestions thus far, and I'll certainly buy a couple at least.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Wood wood wood!

Any of the woods suggested so far are nice. Perhaps a bird's eye maple could be added to the list.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

This is my Tenacious with Thuja burl scales, a Kopa would be deadly with thuja scales IMO :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I love Osage if it is cut right. It also doesn't need to be stabilized and ages beautifully.
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

ronT2 wrote:Nothing would convince me to pry my wallet open faster than a Damascus Kopa with cocobolo, burl or some other medium to dark colored wood with a unique grain. Snake wood and leopard wood also look very interesting.
I'm right there with ya Ron!

I second all these folks who are speaking to natural materials for the scales --- of course, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla -- not to mention, once the wheels of the mfg process starts -- ya just never know what might be developed.

Maybe even a different Damascus technique than the current Damascus type --- make the Kopa's Damascus unique (bronze, silver and gold versions, not literal)

Regards, Jerry
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I personally think the focus should be on the scales, not the blade, so I'm not a big fan of damascus on these. But that's just me.

For the scales, I think some Mokume would be awesome. Here's an example in the bolster:
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

tvenuto wrote:I personally think the focus should be on the scales, not the blade, so I'm not a big fan of damascus on these. But that's just me.

For the scales, I think some Mokume would be awesome. Here's an example in the bolster:
Certainly scales enhance the beauty of any knife. I haven't even collected some of the beautifully scaled Kopas that are already are to be had. Making more of the same Kopa with new scales would appeal to some folks no doubt. As bolsters the Mokume looks great. Would your Kopa have Mokume between the Kopa's bolsters or just solid Mokume without bolsters?

Regards, Jerry
paladin

Post by paladin »

The Deacon wrote: ...armadillo skin...
please hold the leprosy on mine :eek:

bubinga

an all stainless Kopa like the all stainless Kiwi would be nice for engraving

or solid Damasteel handles like the blade on the 40th Anniv. Native

"Soup Bone" like this:

Stag has been mentioned, for good reason, I'll second that motion :D

Fancy Jigged Bone

Meteorite

Mammoth Bark <is it still legally available?> :confused:

CrazyCTek

Curly Koa is stunning in person, I'm gonna try to upload a vid when I get a chance

Amber with insect, SPIDER, or other critter embedded

Quartersawn Oak

Reclaimed Hickory Chestnut or Elm

Fly's Eye Carbon Fiber
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

jerryh wrote:Certainly scales enhance the beauty of any knife. I haven't even collected some of the beautifully scaled Kopas that are already are to be had. Making more of the same Kopa with new scales would appeal to some folks no doubt. As bolsters the Mokume looks great. Would your Kopa have Mokume between the Kopa's bolsters or just solid Mokume without bolsters?

Regards, Jerry
I was thinking between the bolsters, since the Mokume does look a bit like wood (which I think is the meaning of Mokume). Given the design of the Kopa, a Mokume bolster might get prohibitively expensive/complicated. It would be difficult or impossible to hide the pin due to the pattern as well. I think between the bolsters as the featured material is the best option.

And I can appreciate those who like Damascus blades, it's just never been my thing. To me it's like...chrome plating your tires. I'm all about features that make it more functional, but any sort of dress up is unnecessary and will likely be scratched up in use.